Are there others out there like Guts?

X

Xem

Sorry if this topic has already been started somewhere before.

I've been wondering if anyone thinks that there are other warriors/mercenaries out there like Guts? I don't mean they survived being sacrificed necessarily, but it seems likely to me that perhaps there's another, or group of others, that are fighting the good fight. Obviously if there are I don't think we've gotten any inclination toward it, but then again our view of the world is somewhat narrow, for even though Guts is a legendary hero in our eyes, most people in the story have never even heard of him.

It's a fun thought at best, but with the Age of Darkness drawing near, I think it would at least make sense that not everyone is getting eaten by apostles when they encounter one.

The most likely scenario for me is a group of people, since if it was a one man army it would detract a bit from Guts character. Though they would probably not be on a mission like Guts is, but simply got together because they are extremely skilled and wander about trying to survive in a world that has fallen into poverty and despair.

My brain really goes off when we get breaks like this. :p Let's speculate!

That is an interesting theory and it could be quite possible but I think it would be quite rare to have another group at the quality of Guts companions. Since there is probably no other man out with the experience, strength and fighting ability of Guts. I don't think Skull Knight is running around helping just any skilled survivors either or that they are getting all that magical equipment and being accompined with elves.

Now, I'm sure Godhand and everything has been around for thousands of years so I think it is more likely that it has happened before in the distant past or something but I really highly doubt there is another group similar to Gutts out there right now during the same time frame. At best I would say there are other survivors that are skilled and are holding out for a bit not no where near the level of Gutts group. I mean there is a reason why they are the main characters of the story and that they are exceptional group of humans.

V

vanheat

In vol. 17 Zodd reflects on his 300 years of wandering battlefields and lack of competition amongst man. That's all I've got... But seriously to take on an apostle you have to have more than just skill. I wonder too how dark and crazy the age of darkness will/maybe be. If the apostles just go apeshit and eat everything then somebody or something will have to lead or fight, but for humans to take on apostles.eh. Especially the amount of apostles I've seen gathered under Griffith. Maybe the end of logic will help humans more or there are "nice things" in the astral world that are willing to help humans. I'm sure that Skullknight won't take a back seat.

RealHarlekin

Me hungry!
EndlessSky said:
That is an interesting theory and it could be quite possible but I think it would be quite rare to have another group at the quality of Guts companions. Since there is probably no other man out with the experience, strength and fighting ability of Guts. I don't think Skull Knight is running around helping just any skilled survivors either or that they are getting all that magical equipment and being accompined with elves.
I second that.

EndlessSky said:
I think it is more likely that it has happened before in the distant past or something...
I think so too. Two members of such a group will have been Skullknight and Flora. I wonder if we will get to see more of this old group. Assuming any of them lived in a "temporal bubble" like Flora did, became a being of another layer like Skully or is some other being not bound to the means of time that we do not know about yet. I wonder if Elfhell is "out of time"?! In this case Guts & Co. could surely encounter other retired members of this former group.

vanheat said:
If the apostles just go apeshit and eat everything then somebody or something will have to lead or fight, but for humans to take on apostles.eh.
I think the new king will keep his minions under control. It will surely be more like the apostles becoming shepherds with all of them having their herd. :ganishka:

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I'd like to think that it would be possible for other individuals with exceptional circumstances to approach Guts' in terms of strength and skill. But if you think about it, there's no one out there who has even a fraction of the combat experience that Guts' has when it comes to fighting monsters, and I'd bet less than a handful could even match his wartime record. So far in the story we've met some pretty exceptional fighters in Serpico, Azan, Silat, etc, but none of them can match Guts in an open fight and still lose when the odds are stacked in their favor. Boscone also matched Guts, but that was before his mountain training. But hey, maybe there's another Boscone out there who lived on and underwent his own mountain training and was constantly assailed by trolls and ogres every night. Only time will tell, I suppose.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
Yeah as mentioned earlier it isn't all about just skill, (even though Guts has that in spades) in order to take on apostles in the way that Guts does I think someone would still need the a weapon such as the DS in order to actually harm the stronger apostles, I think we've yet to see anyone who's weapon is quite like Guts' in terms of the ability to harm those of the interstice.

X

Xem

Very interesting thoughts everyone, thanks for sharing. :)

I agree that there's no one out there anywhere near the strength/experience/skill level of Guts when it comes to combat.

Let's look at some of the people who fought apostles with some sort of victory though. Pippin was able to hold his own, it was only when he was outnumbered that he fell. Judeau and Casca owned at least one that we saw. And don't forget Gaston (he was at least alive when Guts finally landed in the sea of blood). So let's say these warriors are roughly above average, I would think it's possible, that within the entire world, that some people may be at least equal to that ability. We heard stories of Locus and Grunbeld, whose to say they wouldn't have slaughtered some apostle asses if they weren't apostles themselves?

Put some of these talents together by chance, and you could easily have a force equal to Guts (alone, not including all of his companions).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
I've been wondering if anyone thinks that there are other warriors/mercenaries out there like Guts? I don't mean they survived being sacrificed necessarily, but it seems likely to me that perhaps there's another, or group of others, that are fighting the good fight. Obviously if there are I don't think we've gotten any inclination toward it, but then again our view of the world is somewhat narrow, for even though Guts is a legendary hero in our eyes, most people in the story have never even heard of him.

The only other group of people I can think of are the Bakiraka, with Silat as their leader. But they're a whole clan and not just a group of friends, and it can't be said that they're directly fighting against the God Hand. They're doing their own thing, trying to survive in a world that's going to hell.

Guts' intestines said:
Yeah as mentioned earlier it isn't all about just skill, (even though Guts has that in spades) in order to take on apostles in the way that Guts does I think someone would still need the a weapon such as the DS in order to actually harm the stronger apostles, I think we've yet to see anyone who's weapon is quite like Guts' in terms of the ability to harm those of the interstice.

Well that's debatable, because so far the astral properties of the DS haven't really mattered when fighting apostles apart from Ganishka's cloudy self. In fact, it's actually by killing monsters and evil spirits that it's acquired those properties. And we can suppose that SK's sword has similar qualities as well, given his nature and the time he's been around. To me what makes the DS exceptional in regard to killing apostles is the sheer size of it, which is what is highlighted in the manga as well. It's a weapon that was designed with killing giant creatures in mind, and that makes it particularly apt to fighting apostles as opposed to standard weapons made for killing humans.

Deci said:
Let's look at some of the people who fought apostles with some sort of victory though. Pippin was able to hold his own, it was only when he was outnumbered that he fell. Judeau and Casca owned at least one that we saw. And don't forget Gaston (he was at least alive when Guts finally landed in the sea of blood).

I wouldn't give Gaston too much credit as he had been parasited and was probably only still alive for that reason. Anyway, there's no doubt to me that Silat and the Tapasa would be able to kill a lesser apostle.

I think as evidence shows, there's plenty of ridiculously skilled warriors out there. Whether any of them know of the Apostles, let alone have dedicated themselves to their destruction is debatable.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
willowhugger said:
I think as evidence shows, there's plenty of ridiculously skilled warriors out there.

What's that evidence of ridiculously skilled warriors? Because I don't remember seeing "plenty" of them.

Aazealh said:
What's that evidence of ridiculously skilled warriors? Because I don't remember seeing "plenty" of them.

Griffith's weird collection (though being apostles; beings like Locus and Grunbeld may not count), the Kushite clan of Assassins, and then there's Serpico. I don't see any real problem with there being a continuous introduction of more.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
willowhugger said:
Griffith's weird collection (though being apostles; beings like Locus and Grunbeld may not count)

They're all apostles.

willowhugger said:
the Kushite clan of Assassins

They're Kushans actually, not Kushites. :carcus: Anyway, among them, only Silat and the Tapasa are formidable enough to be able to take on an apostle I think.

willowhugger said:
and then there's Serpico. I don't see any real problem with there being a continuous introduction of more.

Well Guts' group isn't supposed to count, otherwise we could name Azan and even Isidro as well. So yeah, I don't see any evidence of there existing plenty of "ridiculously skilled" warriors. And I doubt there'll be a continuous introduction of such characters.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Kind of makes me wonder how Tudor (CHUDER) made a bid for the continent for so long if their only distinguished warriors were Boscone ... and Adon. Though, I suppose before the Falcons rose to power, neither side was bursting with talent. ... I mean,there's that guy with the Tiger armor :ganishka:

tigerarmor.jpg

Have you seen this man?
Midland General Clyde "Pompous Tiger" Dayne.
Last seen storming a flank of Kushan elephants​

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Walter said:
Kind of makes me wonder how Tudor (CHUDER) made a bid for the continent for so long if their only distinguished warriors were Boscone ... and Adon. Though, I suppose before the Falcons rose to power, neither side was bursting with talent. ... I mean,there's that guy with the Tiger armor :ganishka:

http://skullknight.net/images/tigerarmor.jpg
Have you seen this man?
Midland General Clyde "Pompous Tiger" Dayne.
Last seen storming a flank of Kushan elephants​

Hah... not sure if he's meant to be on a "wanted" poster or on the back of a milk carton... :???: :)

There were some people with Massive Skills before BotH... who can forget the 30-man-slayer, Bazuso? :carcus:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Bazûso will be missed. Also, if I remember correctly and we all know I rarely do that, wasn't Balzac known for being a skilled fighter?

At least it was implied that he fought a lot and successfully so. We don't know how good he was, unfortunately. Probably nothing incredible, though I actually liked him during the fight where he's a Mandragoran.

Top Bottom