Why did Skull Knight save Guts & Casca?

G

Gangstap

So, I dont remember them ever really clearly saying why the Skull Knight saved Casca and Guts from being sacrificed. Does this ever get clearly explained? I remember him telling them that it isn't their fate to die here, but that is one lame excuse.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SK never gave any clear reason for saving them.

It can be inferred that it's to further his own plans of thwarting the God Hand's schemes as well as simply because it's a good action. He likely went there to save Guts, and took up Casca as well when he noticed she was also still alive.

X

Xem

I've always assumed that he simply went in there for a strike at the God Hand, then just happened to noticed Guts and Casca were still alive and saved them.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
I've always assumed that he simply went in there for a strike at the God Hand, then just happened to noticed Guts and Casca were still alive and saved them.

It seems unlikely to me that he went out of his way to warn Guts a whole year before it happened only to save him by coincidence later on. On the contrary, I think it's his strike at Void that was opportunistic.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gangstap said:
So in a way, Guts is not tied down by fate? He creates his own destiny.

There's no concept of Fate in Berserk like there is in Œdipus The King.

Now that this is out of the way, Guts was clearly manipulated through causality until the Occultation ceremony (see the major role he played in leading Griffith to become Femto). Afterwards it becomes a bit more complicated. Since he's branded and now exists in the Interstice, he's not subject to the same boundaries anymore. However, whether he's free of any outside influence or not remains to be seen.

G

Gangstap

Hmm seemed to me that Berserk's main themes were fate and destiny. And carving your own path , but maybe i am wrong.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aaz is saying that Causality is the binding agent of events in the Berserk world, not fate.

einherjar

The Glorious Dead
Gangstap said:
So, I dont remember them ever really clearly saying why the Skull Knight saved Casca and Guts from being sacrificed. Does this ever get clearly explained? I remember him telling them that it isn't their fate to die here, but that is one lame excuse.

If you asked my opinion, and I know no one did...
He was manipulated by Causality into saving them so that Casca could birth the Demon Child. Sure, he thought he was simply opposing God Hand, and he thought he was only saving the life of Guts and his girlfriend, but his actions still serve a purpose orchestrated by Idea. :idea:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
einherjar said:
If you asked my opinion, and I know no one did...
He was manipulated by Causality into saving them so that Casca could birth the Demon Child. Sure, he thought he was simply opposing God Hand, and he thought he was only saving the life of Guts and his girlfriend, but his actions still serve a purpose orchestrated by Idea. :idea:

The question was why SK consciously did it, so that's besides the point. And just so you know, you're not the only one to have thought of this.

I remember SK encouraged Guts to get rid of that demon child... But himself never did it (Its very strange)...

Did he really know that child was playing a major role in Idea's plan?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:
I remember SK encouraged Guts to get rid of that demon child... But himself never did it (Its very strange)...

He gave advice to Guts, but he wasn't going to make the choice for him. Can you imagine him killing the child in front of its parents without leaving them the choice?

Smith said:
Did he really know that child was playing a major role in Idea's plan?

Probably not, otherwise he would have tried something. And we still don't know exactly how the child will influence Griffith in the future...

Top Bottom