Croc victim gets arm back

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/croc-victim-gets-arm-back/2007/04/12/1175971189283.html

Surgeons reattached a Taiwanese veterinarian's forearm today after a 200-kilogram Nile crocodile chomped it off and colleagues recovered the limb from the reptile's mouth.

The male crocodile severed Chang Po-yu's forearm at the Shaoshan Zoo in the southern city of Kaohsiung yesterday when the veterinarian tried to retrieve a tranquiliser dart from the reptile's hide so he could give it medication, zoo officials said.

The forearm was reattached following seven hours of surgery today.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing quite conveys "don't fuck with the crocs!" as well as this picture does. It's good to hear that they could reattach the limb though. I wonder if the guy will keep working there.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
I doubt it's fully functional. You see that chunk at the severed end? I can't imagine how they could get every nerve reconnected.

Aazealh said:
Nothing quite conveys "don't fuck with the crocs!" as well as this picture does. It's good to hear that they could reattach the limb though. I wonder if the guy will keep working there.

Considering the guy got his arm bitten off. I don't think he has enough expertise to work with the croc's. I mean what was he thinking, retrieving a tranquilizer dart.

I'm also surprised the croc didn't eat it. :chomp:

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Okin said:
I doubt it's fully functional. You see that chunk at the severed end? I can't imagine how they could get every nerve reconnected.
I seem to remember hearing that a messy severing is easier to reattach then a clean one.
As I understand it nerves branch like a tree. I could see him retaining hand function but losing wrist function.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
ahee, you got that backwards, a cleanly severed bit is much easier to reconnect than a messy ripped one. With a clean cut you have plenty of completely viable tissue to work on; with a rip, a lot of that stuff is just not going to live and you have to cut it away first anyhows.

S

smoke

That croc knows he's badass.

Sitting there all smug with some dude's arm in his mouth.

Let's give him a hand, guys.

Top Bottom