New Honda robotoc walker crushes testicles

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/11/07/robotic.walker.ap/index.html

No text. Just look at the pictures for this thing.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's a great idea, actually. For people who have to constantly squat and get up like those they describe in the article it must be the best invention ever. And I could see it being useful for old people as well.

I could totally picture the knee joint messing up and the seat just smacking into your nuts when you get up from a squat. :isidro:
It looks... restricting. How difficult is it to side step with those?

X

Xem

Japanese robot company Cyberdyne has begun renting out in Japan a belted device called HAL

Someone actually decided to name a robot company Cyberdyne, then decided to name their robot HAL? :ganishka:

That robot is interesting, I imagine it's going to be quite cheaper than Cyberdyne's HAL anyway.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Ramen4ever said:
How difficult is it to side step with those?

Yeah, strafing looks out of the question to me.

Deci said:
Someone actually decided to name a robot company Cyberdyne, then decided to name their robot HAL? :ganishka:

It's the beginning of the end. :SK:

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Rhombaad said:
Yeah, strafing looks out of the question to me.

Actually, I'm not so sure. If you look at the models in the back the legs are closed, but the guy wearing it has his legs apart. Seems that there is some possible side to side movement, but its hard to tell how much or how easy it would be.

I can definitely see the advantages of using one of these but the seat just doesn't look very comfortable to me. I don't think I would be able to use it for extended periods of time (like a full shift in a factory for instance).

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
I could see it being a life-saver for the overweight and elderly who should continue to walk to prevent atrophy and further weight gain, but are concerned about applying too much stress on their knees. I don't think the average "healthy" person would need one though.

Top Bottom