What will Falconia be like?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
With the war about to end and Wyndham in ruins, it will soon be time to build a new capital for Griffith's kingdom. A capital that will be named Falconia.

The question is simple: what do you think Falconia will be like? A glorious city lined with statues of Griffith? A sprawling agglomeration riddled with filth? Something in-between?

You tell me. :griff:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ever since we saw Ganishka's towering form on the horizon, I've been thinking his corpse would make a great tower of demon flesh.

Either way, I see Griff building the city where the ruins of Wyndham are now. It is afterall at the middle of the continent.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Ever since we saw Ganishka's towering form on the horizon, I've been thinking his corpse would make a great tower of demon flesh.

Honestly he's so big that even a single one of his legs would probably be the highest building in the world. There's enough material in him to form a mountain range. I can already see it: "Mount Ganishka". :ganishka:

Seriously though, it will be interesting to see what happens to him after his inevitable defeat. If he were to be petrified, maybe they could use his corpse to build the new city? :void:

Walter said:
Either way, I see Griff building the city where the ruins of Wyndham are now. It is afterall at the middle of the continent.

Yes, that seems logical to me as well. Besides, that location is symbolic: before Wyndham, another city stood there, the one Gaiseric had built. Its remains still lie under the ground, left untouched for a thousand years. Who knows, maybe Griffith will have a use for them?

Another question: how do you think the new city will be built? By whom? Apostles? The former citizens of Wyndham? Will the whole country be put to the task in a way or another (contributing to the rebuilding effort by providing food, money, workers, etc.)? Will Griffith become a Great Builder as well as a Great Conqueror?

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
Another question: how do you think the new city will be built? By whom? Apostles? The former citizens of Wyndham? Will the whole country be put to the task in a way or another (contributing to the rebuilding effort by providing food, money, workers, etc.)? Will Griffith become a Great Builder as well as a Great Conqueror?

My guess is that the apostles will help a lot (if the citizen aren't to afraid of them hehe) just to continue to show that even with monsters in his army Griffith is really a great Savior. And once the city is complete, bang the darkness begins! or something like that...

Aazealh said:
Yes, that seems logical to me as well. Besides, that location is symbolic: before Wyndham, another city stood there, the one Gaiseric had built. Its remains still lie under the ground, left untouched for a thousand years. Who knows, maybe Griffith will have a use for them?

From what we've seen so far, I would assume that the people would not be afraid. Everyone able would help to rebuild the city, some providing food, some entertainment, some materials, some tools, some labor, etc. I gather this from Mule's first experience in the Band of the Hawk encampment. The people were all together, there were even families and there were no complaints about anything really. I'm not entirely sure that the age of darkness will begin yet. Besides, the Idea of Evil told Griffith, "Your actions themselves shall prove to be suitable for your kind as a whole. May those actions bring pain or salvation to the men"

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
I'm not entirely sure that the age of darkness will begin yet. Besides, the Idea of Evil told Griffith, "Your actions themselves shall prove to be suitable for your kind as a whole. May those actions bring pain or salvation to the men"

Hehe, then are you supposing there just won't be an "Age of Darkness" in the sense people understand it (i.e. something akin to the Demon City under Ganishka's rule)? :carcus:

And what do you guys think the city itself will look like, once finished (assuming it will be finished)? What architectural style? Clean streets? Dangerous parts of town? Creatures roaming in the sewers? A city guard made of apostles? Use your imagination. :guts:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
I foresee it just as Griffiths current character is. Beautiful on the outside, horrible oh-the-demons-are-eating-my-flesh on the inside.  :carcus:

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
I'd say the new capital will be a true sight to behold. Griff seems to be quite fond of his role as the genuine saviour of "his people" and therefore i'd think that his rule will actually be that of a shining, benevolent and infallible leader. And i'd think that he will have an interest in expressing his quasi-deific rule by having lots of pompous statues, ornaments and buildings being erected all across the new city. And not just Falconia, but also across the entire continent and ultimately across the whole world.

His rule will be absolute, but i have a feeling that he will grant the people under his protection quite a lot of personal freedoms, so they can basically act on their own whims but are still restrained by the fear of arousing negative attention from Griff and his generals. In the end, however, each and every single person that will associate with Griff and his minions will be corrupted to some degree and the worst part would be that it happened willingly.
A continuous rule of evil (in disguise) and a prosperous populace that will eventually succumb to their own corruption and end up in the vortex.

It's a simple, yet effective scenario. Keep the people satisfied but still in check with a couple of ironclad rules. Add to that a glorious living environment that's symbolic of the leaders "larger-than-life" achievements. It's really not all that different from earths old empires, with the sole exception that the emperor, in this case, can actually rule for all eternity with absolute power (supernatural as well in the sense of his reign).

As for the city itself. For some reason, when i think about how it will look like, i'm always getting that certain image of gigantic, temple-like buildings, supported by heavy pillars/columns of various historic orders (Doric, Ionic and the like), very much according to the ancient greek or roman architecture. I can picture building materials that focus on limestone, marble and terracotta. Not just for official buildings but also for private homes to some degree. Lots of ornaments everywhere, specked with gold finishes and other valuable materials like ivory and others.
In a way, it could very well be described as utopian, at least to the degree that people will lead a quasi happy, but ultimately indifferent-to-reality sort of life. There will be various opportunities for an excessive life, which will in turn have a negative impact on the peoples karma.
I don't think that apostles will be allowed to go on a rampage inside the city (or even show their true nature) but they will be given opportunities to do as they wish outside the reaches of major cities, or during special "events" that could serve as propaganda for Griffs reign. Inside the cities, however, i'd think that apostle guards and officers will have to keep their urges in check and play along the rules set by Griffith.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I have a feeling that we won't see the construction of Falconia but instead have a mini "few years later" where the scenario of SimplyEd will already be apply. Then Guts crew when they'd be back would be like : Wtf?! and could just as well experience something similar to the beginning of the series were small cities are being rule by ruthless apostles but not in Falconia where it'd be majestuous. Except in some part the city could be dangerous at night (monsters roaming at some level). Maybe they're will be a curfew and if people don't respect it they could be eaten or something. The architecture would be really beautiful inside the "rich area" whereas in the lower parts of the city it would be like a ghost town (more filled with fear than deserted)...

Aazealh said:
Seriously though, it will be interesting to see what happens to him after his inevitable defeat. If he were to be petrified, maybe they could use his corpse to build the new city? :void:

If Ganishka is being petrified (I don't see how is that going to happen but nevertheless), he will left there as it is, a towering statue, probably known in future as the "Statue of Liberty"

The "liberty" doesn't imply to the citizen of Wyndham though, but to the demons that will be unleash soon in the age of darkness... :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's still very unclear to me the kind of kingdom Griffith will create, and until I know a little more about the nature of his kingdom, it's difficult for me to predict what kind of streets he'll have. But, since we're just wading through the wildlands of speculation nation, I have a few thoughts.

I see white streets, white walls, white buildings, white columns and especially, white castles, in a gothic fashion -- the perfect realization of that castle in Griffith's dreams. But besieged on all sides by hell on earth. So yeah, I took a cue from jackson_hurley's idea and one Aaz had postulated a while back.

Castle.jpg

Here's what the God Hand have to say about the coming age of darkness:
[quote author= Volume 13 (translation by Ranemaka13)]Evil shall overcome the sacred,
illusion shall overcome reality,
fear shall overcome hope,
hate shall overcome love,
the dead shall overcome the living.
All the darkness shall cover the light,
as if the moon shadows the sunlight.[/quote]
Since Griffith's reincarnation, the worlds have begun to bleed together, blending myth into reality. Locus in ep 291 that politics will have no role in the coming world. And a few episodes later, Sonia said the principles of the world are ending.

I see Falconia as humanity's final safe haven from the hell outside its walls. Inside, it is immaculate perfection, the pinnacle of civilization, to all those granted the Falcon's favor, who rules over the empire, and unbeknownst to his admirers, is the one who brought this hell to earth. I think humanity will place their faith in Griffith because his is the only path that doesn't lead to an inhuman death. They won't know his true nature until the empire falls.

Anyway, that's just an exaggerated version of what I see in my head when I think of the distant future. Obviously, it can't be contained to one castle as depicted here. The people will need food and so must harvest somehow in the hellish wasteland. But hey, that's their problem to solve, not mine!  :ganishka:

Walter's idea reminded me of the city in Aeonflux where human live and re-live again with the walls of the city, with no one ever venture out beyond the wall... (Or they did, but probably never return)...

That could be what Falconia is going to become... nothing but hellish landscape beyond the walls... we have to wait and see though...

S

Sanguinius

Aazealh said:
With the war about to end and Wyndham in ruins, it will soon be time to build a new capital for Griffith's kingdom. A capital that will be named Falconia.

The question is simple: what do you think Falconia will be like? A glorious city lined with statues of Griffith? A sprawling agglomeration riddled with filth? Something in-between?

You tell me. :griff:

Personally I'm thinking that when :ganishka: bites the dust some kind of massive rift will be torn and the different realms will merge either partially or fully together. So Falconia will be the nexus point of this where the merging is greatest. Beyond that I think it's hard to say, for I've no idea how such a thing will be represented.

Didnt have time to readthe whole thread, class starts in 5. So, Falconia. I don't see it as a filth ridden demonic city. Instead, I think Griffith will rebuild, rule (maybe even fairly). The fact that Gut's and Casca's child is a part of him inclines me to think he's not going to turn out to be Oh So Evil. Yeah, he's a fuck, but I don't see Midland becoming a wasteland. Why take in Mule, court the Pontiff and the nobles?

If anything, he'll rebuild, people will love and maye fear him at the sme time. It'll set an interesting stage for Guts to be the villian when he does come after Griffith eventually.

:schierke:"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian!!!!!" :SK:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
The fact that Guts and Casca's child is a part of him inclines me to think he's not going to turn out to be Oh So Evil.
But Griffith already IS oh-so-evil. It's really a question of how overt his evil will be expressed within the city and on its subjects. And the child only intervenes rarely, and so far only when dealing with its parents, not for the good of the people or anything.

Proj2501 said:
If anything, he'll rebuild, people will love and maye fear him at the sme time. It'll set an interesting stage for Guts to be the villian when he does come after Griffith eventually.

It will be an interesting stage as well for Guts to leave Elfhelm to confront Griffith, because for now I dont see a reason for him to leave Casca unless something happen which force Guts to the edge, once again...

X

Xem

For some reason I imagine the world being somewhat peaceful at first, and Griffith will be a great leader for the people. I think Falconia will be a beautiful city, much like most everyone has described. I'd be interested to see how Guts would react if he found out Griffith is turning out to be exactly what the world needed, though it's not entirely likely.

Deci said:
For some reason I imagine the world being somewhat peaceful at first, and Griffith will be a great leader for the people. I think Falconia will be a beautiful city, much like most everyone has described. I'd be interested to see how Guts would react if he found out Griffith is turning out to be exactly what the world needed, though it's not entirely likely.

I don't think Guts would care all that much about what Griffith does with his kingdom. He's always been more focused on who Griffith sacrificed and who he betrayed in order to get there. :chomp: And more recently he's too preoccupied with Casca.
Though Guts and Griffith's fight would be quite incredible if Griffith keeps up his savior persona. It would really confuse things from the perspective of who's good or bad. What would be more important, an individual's revenge or the savior of the masses?

Ramen4ever said:
I don't think Guts would care all that much about what Griffith does with his kingdom. He's always been more focused on who Griffith sacrificed and who he betrayed in order to get there. :chomp: And more recently he's too preoccupied with Casca.
Though Guts and Griffith's fight would be quite incredible if Griffith keeps up his savior persona. It would really confuse things from the perspective of who's good or bad. What would be more important, an individual's revenge or the savior of the masses?

Easily one individuals revenge. It has been a constant theme in Berserk that great individuals follow their own paths no matter what and create huge changes in other peoples lives as well as influence the course of history. Guts will pursue his revenge, even if that means destroying the saviour of all mankind. Besides, we already know that there will be an age of darkness and that Griffith will make that happen.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
I can see the city as being paradoxical just as its leader as others have said before me, it will no doubt be a grand city but that grandeur will be a front for its demonicness. I wouldn't be surprised if Griffith gets the citizens to love him even more then requires them to pay a tribute to him, I don't know why I have this image of him but I do, I also can imagine the apostles being the ones that enforce his edicts and laws. I also think that when the confrontation between Guts and Griffith comes that Guts wouldn't have the citizens of Falconia on his side due to Griffith's (assumedly) magical charisma. Griffith has already shown the potential to be one of those leaders who goes around kissing babies and performing miracles so I wonder if that'll be the case when he's leading Falconia?

einherjar

The Glorious Dead
Griffith was told

May your actions bring pain or salvation. . .

What this means to me is that it may be possible for Griffith to use his evil to bring "good" to mankind, at least in the short-term. However, knowing that the Idea of Evil is the architect of causality, the salvation Griffith appears to bring is likely a facade.

I rather like Walter's vision of Falconia:

Walter said:
I see white streets, white walls, white buildings, white columns and especially, white castles, in a gothic fashion -- the perfect realization of that castle in Griffith's dreams.
. . .
I see Falconia as humanity's final safe haven from the hell outside its walls. Inside, it is immaculate perfection, the pinnacle of civilization, to all those granted the Falcon's favor, who rules over the empire, and unbeknownst to his admirers, is the one who brought this hell to earth. I think humanity will place their faith in Griffith because his is the only path that doesn't lead to an inhuman death.

Ramen4ever said:

It's along the same lines of Guts confrontation with Mozgus. Granted, Guts knows that burning Casca at the stake won't save the people gathered at Albion, but even if it would, he would choose to save her and damn everyone else. And that's what makes him cool, right? :guts:

eldritchdose said:
Easily one individuals revenge. It has been a constant theme in Berserk that great individuals follow their own paths no matter what and create huge changes in other peoples lives as well as influence the course of history. Guts will pursue his revenge, even if that means destroying the saviour of all mankind.

I agree completely. A "savior" Griffith makes Guts' quest for revenge that much more personal. If Griffith is seen by all as a bringer of darkness, the plot of the series (to me) degenerates significantly, to the point of being "Humans vs. Evil." On the other hand, if Griffith's image is still untarnished, Guts is still "the Struggler." He alone (Ok, with the help of his companions) attempts to defy the gods, angels, and devils of the world.

Anyway, I'd feel pretty hosed if Guts had it easy.

Wel,..Griffit's kingdom could be almost anything. It doesn't have to mean a city or a certain physical place persé. It could also mean a world where the real world and the idea world have merged like what is already somewhat happening.

(slightly off track) I may be crazy, but I somewhat see paralels between Ganishka and the tower of Babel, connecting the earthly world with the heavenly world, the way he created himself in arrogance and defiance. Dun dun duuun... :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
My view of Falconia changed a little bit after ep 300. Seeing the humans accepting that their allies are demons so easily, and begin fighting alongside them... that changes the whole formula for the future, to me.

I honestly can't say what direction it's headed in now. But two of the more obvious possibilities that occurred to me are: this could be a kingdom where human and demon actually work together to build a better future, until it comes tumbling down; or it will be humans snared in a giant trap, where they should have trusted their initial reactions.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
I honestly can't say what direction it's headed in now.

It's really hard to accurately predict what direction Miura is taking Griffith's part of the story after the rebuilding. Two thing I've been thinking about is a Jihad that gets carried out by Griffith's human and apostle followers trying to bring the world under Griffith's order or a perfect kingdom while Griffith has apostle death squads killing all opposition and hunting down Guts and Casca.

Of course I'm just guessing and am no way backing it up with facts.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I know you were just brainstorming Bob, but I have to nitpick.  :badbone:

I really don't think Griffith will have any interest in Guts or Casca until/if/when they directly oppose him in some way. Either way, that likely won't affect the development of Falconia as an empire, unless it's something so overt as the way the King of Midland wasted his resources on hunting Griffith. And... I just don't see that.

Top Bottom