Games for '09

Oburi

All praise Grail
There are some obvious carryovers from 08 like Resident Evil 5 and FFXIII. But some others that I'm personally waiting for like

Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Halo Wars

Borderlands

and I'd like too point out this little - Edge of Twilight find http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/957/957919.html Too early to tell if it will be any good but I'm interested after a comparison to soul reaver.

So what else will you guys be waiting for during the new year?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
All I can think of that Im looking forward to is a likely announcement from Nintendo about the next Zelda game and possibly the Wii Pikmin game.

There were soooo many good games this season it's going to take me through 09 to play the big ones. I don't think the industry has anything big planned for release this year.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Hmm, apart from those games that were already mentioned, i'd say that i'm really kind of interested in Bayonetta. And yeah, it's not the story that caught my eye.

Here's the gametrailers link: http://www.gametrailers.com/game/6772.html

Of course, i'm still waiting for some long overdue announcements regarding new installments to the "Tales of" franchise. I'm still trying to get my hands on more footage for the Tales of Festival 2008. I might just buy the DVD which comes with the "Viva Tales Of" Interviews and bonus videos (which i've already seen some time ago). If you consider yourselves to be true fans, then this is a must-have, i guess.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
There are some obvious carryovers from 08 like Resident Evil 5 and FFXIII. But some others that I'm personally waiting for like

Those weren't planned for 2008...

Anyway, I'd add Dragon Quest IX to the list, but right now to be honest I'm more concerned about '08 games I've yet to play as well as RE5.

I've been swarmed with:

Red Alert 3 (currently lent to a friend)
Endwar (just beat the campaign, can't wait to play online)
Fallout 3 (barely scratched the surface of the campaign)
Fable 2 (beaten it twice, still itching to play it again)
Left 4 Dead (beaten the campaigns with my brother, can't wait to play it online)
Last Remnant (ordered through amazon for $38, will play on Wednesday)

Ugh, there's just not enough time. Too many games. :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The new FF Crystal Chronicles game looks to be an online Action RPG. That could be cool. But so far Ive not been impressed with any of the Crystal Chronicles games... Here's the newest trailer:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171577

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Resident Evil 5 and Yakuza 3. I'm also very interested to see how the Aliens FPS and Ghostbusters turn out, I'm not holding my breath though. And maybe I'll be lucky enough to get another Castlevania game.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea I can't believe FFXIII is coming for x-box. My friend was so pissed because that was the main reason he bought the damn ps3 in the first place. Sorry to all the ps3 fans who thought square enix would be exclusive to sony. And I mean it, I am sorry. I use to think that was one con of owning the 360. But Infinite Undiscovery, Last Remnant and now FFXIII all for the 360. I haven't had a chance to get Last Remnant yet but thats on my list. Can't wait. And yea deff not enough time in the world to play and beat everything I want.

X

Xem

Final Fantasy used to be exclusive to Nintendo.. ah, those were the days..

Anyway, RE5 and the new Super Punch-Out!!. Also the new House of the Dead: Overkill.

Oburi said:
Yea I can't believe FFXIII is coming for x-box. My friend was so pissed because that was the main reason he bought the damn ps3 in the first place. Sorry to all the ps3 fans who thought square enix would be exclusive to sony. And I mean it, I am sorry. I use to think that was one con of owning the 360. But Infinite Undiscovery, Last Remnant and now FFXIII all for the 360. I haven't had a chance to get Last Remnant yet but thats on my list. Can't wait. And yea deff not enough time in the world to play and beat everything I want.

Ok, now I'm definitely going to buy a Xbox360, it's cheaper and it's almost the same as the ps3

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:
Ok, now I'm definitely going to buy a Xbox360, it's cheaper and it's almost the same as the ps3

In fact, so far a good amount of cross-platform titles have been running better on X360.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
FF13 slated for 2010 in the US.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3172313

1up speculates it's because the simultaneous release of the game on PS3 and 360 could be delaying the production schedule.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:

1up speculates it's because the simultaneous release of the game on PS3 and 360 could be delaying the production schedule.

Oh thats depressing.... :sad:

I'm looking forward to God of War III and Yakuza III (mmm...Uncle Kaz). I'd love to play Tenchu IV, but the damn title jumped platforms on me! I was pretty pissed off when I discovered it was Wii exclusive, considering I followed the series faithfully since its first release for the PSone. Looks like I'll have to "borrow" my sister's Wii out of her apartment... :carcus:

Oburi said:

Star Ocean: The Last Hope

You're a brave man, Oburi! The Star Ocean series is DEAD. TO. ME. Ever since SO3. Not only did the game just plain SUCK, they wrote themselves into a corner with the most inane, cliched "plot twist"in the history of video gaming....:mozgus: I'd like to purchase a Wii and 360 eventually (I feel like I'm the only person alive that has NEVER played the Gears of War series. In addition to the game looking so bad ass, the action figures I've seen for sale look so..cool), so I'll probably pick it up, despite what I just said (I hate being a chick sometimes. We're so fickle.) but when I saw how similar the protagonists are to the previous title...I might skip it. I'm excited for the SO2 remake for the PSP, though. Game Fly will ship it to me next week. :guts:

I'm probably in the minority here when I say I'm almost reluctant to pick up another Final Fantasy title. I was EXTREMELY disappointed with Final Fantasy 12 (horrible game). But this is why I have a subscription with GameFly.com :slan:

And while on the subject of Final Fantasy, any one interested in playing Final Fantasy Dissidia? Initially, I wasn't going to touch it, considering Square Enix's poor attempts at creating fighting games in the past, i.e. The Bouncer, Ehrgeiz, and Bushido Blade, (and for the utterly superficial reason that Tetsuya "Chains, Belts, and Whips" Nomura redesigned the characters)but then I saw mah man Cecil Harvey (Paladin and Dark Knight forms!) in the line up! I've never considered buying a Final Fantasy related figure in recent years, but if they were to release a Cecil figure (that hasn't been "chibified"), I'd be all over that like Farnese on the Dragon Slayer! :ganishka:

I'm waiting for SFIV (obviously) but the other one I saw on wiki was a PS3 console version of Blazblue. No date yet TBA...but I assume it may be sometime this year. Trophy support! :guts:

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I think Blazblue will likely make it this year, considdering the arcade version appears to be finished. That's a biggie for me too since it's basically the new Guilty Gear. Only downside is apparently the Ky equivalent character is top tier, and I hated dealing with Ky in GGX2.

Also up is the new King of Fighters. If anyone hasn't seen this, it has to be the most gorgeous true 2D fighter on the face of the planet:
http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-xii/
A lot of people have been let down by the character list, me included, but I think the switch to higher definition sprites put a big limitation on how many characters they could get finished in time. I'm praying for some extras on the console version, like maybe more than two female characters. :schierke:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Vaxillus said:
Also up is the new King of Fighters. If anyone hasn't seen this, it has to be the most gorgeous true 2D fighter on the face of the planet:
A lot of people have been let down by the character list, me included, but I think the switch to higher definition sprites put a big limitation on how many characters they could get finished in time. I'm praying for some extras on the console version, like maybe more than two female characters. :schierke:

Probably the most anticipated game for me this year. Plus, it's 100% hand drawn.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:

Yeah right, just like the translating process always delays the European release by a year. :schierke:

Madam President said:
I'm looking forward to God of War III and Yakuza III (mmm...Uncle Kaz).

I'm not too excited about GoW 3, I didn't enjoy the second game as much as the first. I don't have a PS3 though so I guess that doesn't matter much.

Madam President said:
I'm probably in the minority here when I say I'm almost reluctant to pick up another Final Fantasy title. I was EXTREMELY disappointed with Final Fantasy 12 (horrible game). But this is why I have a subscription with GameFly.com :slan:

FFXII partially saved the series as far as I'm concerned (thanks to its MMORPG influence). If they keep a fresh fighting/travelling system and add an intestering story (and the appropriate characters) I'll be glad to play FFXIII. I don't mind Lightning so far. Better than most FF protagonists.

Vaxillus said:

Yeah man, without Mai's hand drawn, high resolution ass and tits, this game just ain't worth it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Capcom is developing an MMO as their next big project.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/21/capcom-and-monumental-up-to-something-massive/.

MEGA MAN MMO :ganishka:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Madam President said:
You're a brave man, Oburi! The Star Ocean series is DEAD. TO. ME. Ever since SO3. Not only did the game just plain SUCK, they wrote themselves into a corner with the most inane, cliched "plot twist"in the history of video gaming....:mozgus:

I was wondering how they were going to write them selves out of that one because that is a pretty big weird situation.

As for the capcom game... maybe another Monster Hunter MMO? :troll:

Killzone 2 guys, your thoughts. To buy or not to buy? I've read good things but I won't make a move till my skullknight niggas weigh in.

Weigh in fast I wanna hit the mall during my lunch break. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Killzone 2 guys, your thoughts. To buy or not to buy? I've read good things but I won't make a move till my skullknight niggas weigh in.

Well, it's not as influential as Halo. Guiness says NO.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:

If you've got a PS3 and like the FPS genre then you pretty much have to get this game.

Top Bottom