The Beast In Elfhame.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
The Beast is probably the most abstract concept in the series right now, at least to me. I don’t think it’s possible to fully understand what it is with the information we have, but it’s still worth speculating about (and fun). The Beast is driving the story right now, it’s been Guts’ underlying motivation for the past couple of volumes (allowing Farnese & Co. to join, seeking help from Flora, etc.), and in a way, it’s really been like that since Lost Children. It’s been the most important character backstage, and it’s inevitable that it will be the main event at some point, it’s just a matter of when. Right now, I’m specifically thinking of Elfhame. I have no idea what Miura has in mind for the place, but I’m pretty sure it will be important (shit, it’s been hyped since 183). In any case, I don’t think it will be a simple pit stop on the road to Griffith. One thing to think about is the fact that, although places like Elfhame are safe from evil such as Apostles, it isn’t safe from the Beast. The Beast had no problem manifesting in Guts' mind during his night in the Elf mine, so couldn’t it do the same in Elfhame? This is especially relevant if you believe, like me, that Guts is eventually going to do something truly horrible and "unforgivable." So what do you think, will Guts take years of oppressed Puck-Rage out on the entire Elf Community?

I imagine something similar to what Guts did to Roshinu’s hive in 16, only to a beautiful Elf City...

dizzypuck.JPG

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

;D​

-Griffith

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Or if Guts is counting on a cute for Casca, and he finds out that Elfheim can't do such a thing... What would be holding him back from letting loose all that pent up rage?

Vermillion

If we do not find them soon, we shall be of no use
What would hold him back? Not what, but who. That would be the SkullKnight. From the little hints we've been given, I'd say he owes them.

Anyways, why the hell would Gutts beat down the elves? What did they ever do to him but help. He's got nothing against them. If it werent for thier indirect help, he'd be dead...on a couple major occasions. He knows this.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Er... I don't think the Beast really cares who it attacks, as long as its something. Notice guts in volume 15, as he attacks the flaming children.

Vermillion

If we do not find them soon, we shall be of no use
I agree he did attack him, but the flaming children were touching him. Guts usually kills any creature that threatens his life.

Lliugusamui

around the corner
remember that time with Colette ?
that time when the Beast was less strong, and he killed her ( damn, she was a girl, even though possessed !! )
I think that when Guts gets under Beast control, he has no reason of what he's doing ( just like when he almost killed Jill who was through path to Rochine )
there's gona be big ttrouble with guts ! hell yeah !^^

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
Whooaa ppl, we're debating wheter Gutts is actually some sort of Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde character. I'd say that what the beast MAY rapresent is
*WARNING!!! INSANE THEORY AHEAD!!!*

the call of the beherit...
:eek:

and what do I mean by that?
Well, as a carrier of the beherit, I would not rule out the possibility that Gutts may also be subjected to becoming an apostle. The beast may be the early stage of such transformation. A concretization of his negativity, the dark side, if you will. Now, Gutts is a loner basically, a Lone Wolf, ferocius and cruel, he is a survivor. Hence the beast aspect of wolf. Every apostle had a certain image of himself he eventually took shape of I'd guess, so even Gutts, being human and all, is subject if the "beherit's call" :p

The13thScroll

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
Time for my own insane theory. I think the Beast and the Dragonslayer are sorta of the same entity. I dunno why but I always had this idea that the Beast lived inside the Dragonslayer sword (I'm sure this idea has been done to death already though ::)). Sometimes I even think the Dragonslayer is another character on its on own, with almost a mind of its own. I don't have anything to actually support any of this, but I'd go as far to say that the Dragonslayer has had a negative over-all affect on Guts. The Beast is a wild card that always brings out death and destruction and Guts is very prone to goin psycho and chopping shit up real good, so I'd say no place is safe from it, elf village or not.

Kuroi-san

Gonna do something, or just stand there and bleed?
Nice one, 13thScroll. Remember how Flora says there is something strange about the Dragonslayer...?

guyver5

What are you fighting for?
I don't think the beast is inside the sword. At least, I hope not. Haven't we seen Guts go into rage mode plenty of times before he even touched the DragonSlayer? I would like to think it's just a part of Guts.

The scary thing would be that the beast is a human trait. I haven't seen the new magical weapons yet, but I am weary of their concept. A part of what I like about Guts as a character is that he is a human, although an exceptional one, who can fight against the strongest of the demons. What pushes him on isn't a desire to kill eminating from that giant sword. It's his will to succeed. It's sort of like Farneze's fascination with him.

No, I hope the beast is something inherently human.

Medea

Control, control, you must learn control!
If you really get into it, then all demons are really human emanations, and so the Beast would be as well. Gatts probably created the Beast through his bloodlust and drive for revenge, and now that it's already been created, he's stuck with it until he can find some way to destroy it. This brings us to another interesting speculation: if the Beast can be destroyed (he was created by Gatts), then that would mean that the Idea(created by humanity) could also be destroyed.

puella

Berserk forever
Guts realizes the fact that he's been depending on Puck as he said.
and in the recent chapters he says to himself "I am depending on them(Farnese & Co.)" relating to the beast. yeah, Guts is always afraid that the beast comes out of him again.

So if the beast comes out to all of them even in elfhame, it means total failure of control over the beast in spite of their helping Guts. but then again they need to witness the beast themselves because it's some part of Guts.

Time for my wild and insane theory as always ;D
Some elf hypnotizes Guts with some kind of elf medicine or mandragora(for Guts not for Caska) and the beast comes out in Elfhame! :eek: :eek:

However, I don't think it will actually happen in the near future.
do you remember the charms Flora made for Guts?
It protects Guts from being possesed by some kind of evil power as well as lessening the power of brands according to Flora though it won't last forever but at least it works during the journey. Which is the reason why Guts accepts Flora's request to save the Inoch villagers from Trolls.

** I suspect Puck may be the one who saves Guts in the final scene. :p

puckarmed.jpg

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
First we are not sure that Elfhame will ever reached (It is not so easy to find a uncharted island in age in which the ships generally followed the coast remaining in sight of it unless they had a experienced pilot that knew the course well - these are very rare and Puck doesn't seem one to me).

Personally I think that Elfhame will be a eternal quest of something always looked for and never found.

I, suspect, however that the beast is really the berserk aspect of Guts ( did you notice the likeness with a monstrous wolf? the same wolves that Guts faced in issue 3? Also Guts ears are , well. wolfish in shape) so I think it is really unleashed every time Guts face a monster in battle. These days that Guts is not facing so many monsters, it can manifest itself in others forms. like it did in issue 23 but it is because it is a vital force that cannot be denied.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
roberto999 said:
First we are not sure that Elfhame will ever reached (It is not so easy to find a uncharted island in age in which the ships generally followed the coast remaining in sight of it unless they had a experienced pilot that knew the course well - these are very rare and Puck doesn't seem one to me).
You're letting realism affect your predictions when we have quite a bit beyond the realistic boundaries going on in the story....
I, suspect, however that the beast is really the berserk aspect of Guts ( did you notice the likeness with a monstrous wolf? the same wolves that Guts faced in issue 3? Also Guts ears are , well. wolfish in shape)
Or Gambino's dog?

Top Bottom