Moron parent gets child killed.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081231/ap_on_re_us/hypothermia_death

BOISE, Idaho – Less than three weeks after her daughter turned 11, JoLeta Jenks picked out the clothes the girl would be cremated in.

Sage Aragon died, apparently of hypothermia, after she and her 12-year-old brother, Bear, tried to trudge through 10 miles of snow on Christmas Day to see their mother after their father's car got stuck in a snowdrift.

The girl who wanted to be a lawyer when she got older, and then decided she'd rather be a judge, was pronounced dead a short time after a rescue dog found her Friday.

"She was just starting to grow up," Jenks said Tuesday. "I don't know why this had to happen."

The boy survived and the children's' father, Robert Aragon, has been charged with second-degree murder and felony injury to a child.

As prosecutors builds a case against the father, authorities are trying to nail down an exact timeline of events, such as when the children started walking.

"You try to connect the dots on this thing and you can't, it's just difficult to understand," said Blaine County Sheriff Walt Femling, whose agency handled the search for the children.

Robert Aragon, 55, was being held on $500,000 bond at the Blaine County Jail, about 60 miles north of where mourners planned to gather Wednesday to grieve the death of his daughter.

The children lived with Aragon. He was taking them to visit their mother for the holidays when his 1988 Buick Century got stuck in a snowdrift north of Shoshone.

"I told him there was a storm coming," Jenks told the Associated Press in a telephone interview.

After the sedan got caught in the snow, authorities allege Aragon let the children out to walk to their mother's house while he and his cousin Kenneth Quintana, 29, stayed behind to free the car. Jenks said she eventually called Aragon because she was concerned after no one arrived at her home on Thursday.

Aragon had driven back to his hometown of Jerome after letting the kids out to walk to her house, Jenks said.

"I could not believe it," she said.

A public defender assigned to represent Aragon did not respond to calls from The Associated Press on Tuesday. A visibly upset Aragon cried during an initial appearance Monday, when a judge said the second-degree murder charge carries a maximum penalty of life in prison.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled Jan. 7.

Jenks said she called 911 for help after she phoned Aragon and learned the kids were on foot. A search and rescue team found the boy at a rest area near the highway shortly before 10 p.m.

Sheriff Femling said the boy was delusional from hypothermia and had discarded his jacket and pants, stripping down to his long underwear, and taking off his tennis shoes.

Snow had drifted 4 feet deep in some places and deputies had to crawl over the drifts to reach the rest area and retrieve the boy, Femling said. The child was treated at a nearby hospital and released.

"He did the right thing, he found some shelter," Femling said.

The rest area was about 4.5 miles from where the children started walking. Femling said the girl walked about four miles with her brother and then turned back.

The girl was found by a search dog about 2.7 miles from where the two set out, barely visible under windblown, drifting snow. Femling said she was wearing a brown down coat, black shirt, pink pajama pants and tan snowboots.

The girl was pronounced dead at a Ketchum hospital. Initial autopsy results indicate she died of hypothermia.

Officials say temperatures in the area at the time the girl was missing ranged from 27 degrees above zero to minus 5.

"I've never seen anything like this, it was a 10-mile walk, the way they were dressed, it's just all mind-boggling," Femling said.

Records show Aragon was convicted in February for misdemeanor drug possession. In 1994, he was found guilty of drug possession with the intent to deliver or manufacture.

Quintana, the cousin who was with Aragon on Christmas Day, said his relative has been wrongfully accused.

"There's no way that he could have known what was going to happen," Quintana told the Times-News.

Bull shit he couldn't have known. You don't live in a place like that and go through some shitty ass winters without knowing what will happen when you send your kids on a fucking batan death march to their mother's house. What I find more surprising is that they didn't charge his shitbag cousin with the same thing. :chomp:

Here's a picture of the dad
captc174355c0a9843ddb52ddede653f9c9.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Moron parents gets child killed.

That kind of stuff happens all the time unfortunately. The parents are usually just ignorant and irresponsible.

A

avidwriter

All this could be avoided with my system. People would not be able to have children unless they pass a simple test of commen sense and IQ. To avoid any unwanted birthing all children entering puberty must go and give a "sample" to a lab that will hold it for the future and they will be neutered. If they live long enough to pass the test they are allowed to have a child with anyone else who passed the test. Ofcourse everyone being born a 'test tube" baby might not be the best thing it will prevent not only stuff like this happening but the population will go down and there will be less stupid people.

avidwriter said:
All this could be avoided with my system. People would not be able to have children unless they pass a simple test of commen sense and IQ. To avoid any unwanted birthing all children entering puberty must go and give a "sample" to a lab that will hold it for the future and they will be neutered. If they live long enough to pass the test they are allowed to have a child with anyone else who passed the test. Ofcourse everyone being born a 'test tube" baby might not be the best thing it will prevent not only stuff like this happening but the population will go down and there will be less stupid people.

Your system SUCKS. IQ tests and samples and test tubes would not solve anything. Besides IQ is a load of crap. It's just a test to see how fast you can answer questions and puzzles. Does not mean you'd be a good parent if you had a high IQ. Mandatory parent courses could possibly help, emphasizing to each and every parent that their children's safety should always be their top priority.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Has it been proven that the capacity for intelligence is a genetic trait that can be weeded out? I think it's more a mix of nature-nurture that produces "smart" people. In any case, an intelligent mind, untapped by proper education, is as useless as a moron's. Probably moreso since smarties have a natural sense of entitlement and superiority.

And wow, this "plan" is fraught with complications. You would outlaw birthing among couples who didn't pass a standarized test? What would happen to the babies they made anyway? Dash their heads on rocks? Or would the act of copulation also be put, literally, under the gun and watch of the government? Also, this utopian, filtered populace of super geniuses would be prone to clogged toilets and overflowing trashcans. Not to mention that any success they achieved would be with hands bloodied by the genocide of millions of Skeeters and Dewberries (actual last names here in the South).

So yeah, I can't agree with your plan, avidwriter. :puck:

X

Xem

I think the term is eugenics. I think Adolf Hitler was a big fan. Holocaust, anyone?

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight

Hey, smart people make great plumbers too.

As for "a natural sense of entitlement and superiority" in my experience that comes from money or being a good con-man waaayyyyy more than it comes from being smart. From what I've seen, the smarter you are the more you know how easy it is to get something wrong. Hubris isn't smart.

Walter said:
So yeah, I can't agree with your plan, avidwriter. :puck:

How could you when you didn't read the whole thing? There aren't any 'babies anyway,' or copulation to monitor. All the guys are neutered.

Wait, what? You say you're not up for that plan? Why ever not? :troll:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great

avidwriter said:
All this could be avoided with my system. People would not be able to have children unless they pass a simple test of commen sense and IQ.

Plenty of people with high IQs accidentally or intentionally kill their children. A high IQ isn't a guarantee someone is going to be a good parent.

avidwriter said:
To avoid any unwanted birthing all children entering puberty must go and give a "sample" to a lab that will hold it for the future and they will be neutered. If they live long enough to pass the test they are allowed to have a child with anyone else who passed the test. Ofcourse everyone being born a 'test tube" baby might not be the best thing it will prevent not only stuff like this happening but the population will go down and there will be less stupid people.
That's a horrible idea. Of course it will prevent some parents from killing their kids, because no one would have parents except for the few people that were government approved to have kids.

This wasn't a case of a parent being an idiot. I guess I used the wrong word when I called him a moron. If anything he's a monster for forcing his kids to do that, but the same thing could have been done by anyone else.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
This wasn't a case of a parent being an idiot. I guess I used the wrong word when I called him a moron. If anything he's a monster for forcing his kids to do that, but the same thing could have been done by anyone else.

Wow.. wait he forced his kids to walk? I thought he just let them.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
:sad: : Dad it's cold outside do we have to walk to mommies.
:ganishka: : You best get on going before I beat you kids for not doing what I say.

How's that?

Fare enough. But what if there Christmas presents were over at the mommies house. And they said
:sad: :"Daddy we want to go, we want to go!!!"
:azan: :"sure kids. run along now. We'll get the car unstuck meanwhile"

I can see it now. It was an epic journey to reach their Christmas presents. They fought through the bitter cold but ultimately were defeated by the ruthlessness of nature. Such a tragic tale.

A

avidwriter

Maybe I should have been more detailed it wouldnt be an IQ test like the ones we have now. It would deal more with questions like these morons were faced with. You are stranded and you have your kids with you, do you let them walk? Stuff like that, seriously though we need to do something about all these dumb fuckers having kids cause its getting out of control. Half of middle america is so inbreed its like a freaking pack of wild dogs.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
avidwriter said:
Maybe I should have been more detailed it wouldnt be an IQ test like the ones we have now. It would deal more with questions like these morons were faced with.

It wouldn't matter, because people would just put down what they think is the right answer or know the real right answer.

Your child is with you in the car and you need to get your haircut, what do you do?
a. Leave the child in the car.
b. Bring the child in the store.
c. Kill your kid.
d. None of the above.

Of course anyone will answer b, doesn't mean you'll do it when you actually have a kid. How many reasonably intelligent parents kill their kids by accident every year? A lot.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
I thought this was a joke/social commentary, kinda like Jonathan Swift's "a Modest Proposal", its funny how everyone took Avid's suggestion seriously, so if you are joking Avid then I can say well played.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
I don't get it. I've run 10 miles in the snow before. Sure it sucks, but you don't die. I imagine they lost their way at some point, and were far from any other houses. What I can't believe is that he wouldn't go with the ankle biters. It's a fucking blizzard!

Okin said:
I don't get it. I've run 10 miles in the snow before. Sure it sucks, but you don't die. I imagine they lost their way at some point, and were far from any other houses. What I can't believe is that he wouldn't go with the ankle biters. It's a fucking blizzard!

Let me bold some of your text for you. :carcus:
I almost got frost bite when I was in a blizzard. Despite 4 layers of winter clothing. I don't know what kind of blizzard the kids encountered but if it was anywhere near as bad as the one I was in, then it's a miracle that at least the boy survived. ..She was wearing pajama pants. They aren't known for being water resistant when your stumbling through deep snow. And 10 miles in freezing temperatures with WET clothing is a death sentence .. everyone who lives in a country with cold winters knows this.

Update:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090115/ap_on_re_us/hypothermia_death_2

An Idaho prosecutor dropped murder counts against two men and instead charged them with involuntary manslaughter in the death of an 11-year-old girl who was trying to walk 10 miles in the snow on Christmas Day...

...Under Idaho law, the difference between second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter is the level of intent, said Nora O'Callaghan, a criminal law professor at the University of Idaho.

"Involuntary is a case of showing indifference to the value of human life by your conduct," O'Callaghan said. "It's not like you wanted the person to die, but you should have been more protective of human life."

If convicted of involuntary manslaughter, the two men face up to 10 years in prison.

Top Bottom