Official Sk.net Weightloss/gain Thread!

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
How does filling your lungs with smoke help you lose weight? Not to mention it would make any form of exercise more difficult, as it would lower the amount of oxygen you could absorb in each breath- meaning you couldn't jog that extra mile or give your muscles the extra push during a weightlifting session. There is zero benefit to smoking.

Perhaps you're thinking of crack or something, but I won't claim to know anything about that.

Aazealh said:
Cancer does, too. :schierke:
See?! :iva:
But also, I've known a BUNCH of people who quit smoking and gained a lot of weight as well. Don't know if that's because of metabolism or because they picked up bad eating habbits to distract themselves from smoking.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
01010111 said:
But doesn't smoking help with the weight loss?

It's a temporary hunger suppressant, but besides that no not really.

Scorpio said:
How does filling your lungs with smoke help you lose weight? Not to mention it would make any form of exercise more difficult, as it would lower the amount of oxygen you could absorb in each breath- meaning you couldn't jog that extra mile or give your muscles the extra push during a weightlifting session. There is zero benefit to smoking.
It really doesn't, it suppresses some appetite, but not enough to make you lose weight. If you're fat and pick up smoking, you're going to stay fat. Anyways, everything else is true about smoking and exercise and then some.

Aazealh said:
Cancer does, too. :schierke:
Kemo, sure helps.

01010111 said:
See?! :iva:
But also, I've known a BUNCH of people who quit smoking and gained a lot of weight as well. Don't know if that's because of metabolism or because they picked up bad eating habbits to distract themselves from smoking.
Mostly it's because they picked up eating more food in order to make up for the lack of smoking out of nervousness. The billion times i've stopped smoking, I've never really gained more weight, except for now and it's just more muscle. Had I not been smoking the past two months, I would have been able to exercise more efficiently and would have gained more muscle.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
OK, with the end of the year, did anybody reach your goals for loss or gain of weight. I sure did. I reached my 165lbs and stayed that way even in the holidays, I picked up some free weights workouts and the exerciseball to do some abs workouts and I gained 2lbs in muscle. So I am at 167 right now, but I fee light and the jeans fit just right. Hopefully you guys had some good results as well and keep it up for 2010! :ubik:

I put on 18 pounds last month when my Mom came and visited me for 6 weeks. I've lost around 6 outta that, just 6, DAMNIT! I need to stop eating, completely, V8 ftw.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
I've been meaning on doing this, but just haven't out of laziness.

Ok so far things ain't good in the weight department. I've been packing on weight faster then I can lose it and this isn't going good for little old Bob!

What should I do? The obvious might help; intake control, excercise more, and find more activities besides eating out with my Honey [ ].

So starting this coming Monday [because i'm going out of town for the weekend] I'm going to make my first formal post in this thread about my weight.

Anyways, everyone have a good weekend. See you all on Monday.

Welcome back Everybody! (Wednesday)

So weighed my self back in at... :magni: 230!

Perddy bad, but I can bounce back.

Started my day with oatmeal and about to leave to go to the gym. I have some plans and I just have to keep motivated and work my ass off.

Since I'm doing this who else wants to get back in here and do whatever? Share exercise techniques and routines here.

Aahh, good luck! I failed at my attempt to control my eating habits and/ food portions when I hit up the White Castle close to my place last night around 2-2:15 am (after a deathmetal concert in Brooklyn) ... ordered the 30 slider special they had for $18.99 *shakes his head*

There was this one girl on YouTube I used to check out for workout tips, basically what could be done at home and I looked up her official website info - http://www.bodyrock.tv/category/daily-workouts/

I'll go back to some of the older videos on that site, and try it out.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I have been going to the gym in the afternoons after I wake up from work. I cannot go and run in the high temps. So I opted for the gym membership. I was at 166lbs before going in, then dropped to 162. I am back to 165lbs, but my jeans feel loose, so I know I gained some muscle weight. I usually do legs and arms Mondays(day off) with some cardio and abs work out. I alwasy do abs every day. So I feel pretty good and my eating habits are still the same, eat a portion as big a the palm of your hand, you can have at least a meal like that for about every 2 hours. I"m doing great so far, so just keep it up guys.

Was 191 at the end of May. :farnese: I slacked in the winter time and had a love affair with Vietnamese food. (Pho fo' sho) Now back down to 166. Just doing cardio like mad and Lean Cuisines and Coffee.

First few weeks back at the gym were really rough on me. More mentally than physically although it was bad physically as well. I'd actually get mad at myself when I attempted to run like I used to only to hit 1 mile and want to off myself. You just need to commit and do it everyday. Dieting is a huge factor. When you feel heavy and bloated you won't exercise well. The feeling of being light helps spur me to keep at it.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Since I graduated from HS, I have stopped exercising altogether and have gained some serious weight, so I am trying to get in shape now.
but oh man.. I have gotten to the point where I have become afraid to exercise :sad:

I went to go exercise several days ago, but I felt so pathetic because I ran a very tiny amount before I was keeling over.
since then I have had zero motivation to exercise, i keep saying "I'll do it tomorrow"

I have been waking up early everyday only to look at my shoes thinking "damn.. I don't wanna go exercise" and then go back to sleep. I think that I have gotten so lazy that I am now somewhat afraid to go outside and exercise after such a long time. i feel weak and heavy when running, such an anti-motivator :sad:

But I must not give up! :mozgus:
I'll be sure to try my BEST!.... tomorrow :farnese:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Truder said:
Since I graduated from HS, I have stopped exercising altogether and have gained some serious weight, so I am trying to get in shape now.
but oh man.. I have gotten to the point where I have become afraid to exercise :sad:

I went to go exercise several days ago, but I felt so pathetic because I ran a very tiny amount before I was keeling over.
since then I have had zero motivation to exercise, i keep saying "I'll do it tomorrow"

I have been waking up early everyday only to look at my shoes thinking "damn.. I don't wanna go exercise" and then go back to sleep. I think that I have gotten so lazy that I am now somewhat afraid to go outside and exercise after such a long time. i feel weak and heavy when running, such an anti-motivator :sad:

But I must not give up! :mozgus:
I'll be sure to try my BEST!.... tomorrow :farnese:

How much did you gain exactly? I'm not too much a runner, embarrassing enough, I prefer walking, but I do it really fast, which it turns to be more like a slow run. If running isn't your thing, walk instead. I normally, not that I have been keeping up with this lately, go to a well-lit community at night and walk it about three or four times which tends to be able 2-miles.

You really shouldn't be afraid to exercise, most people regardless of their size is trying to lose something, from 5 to 100 pounds.

Bump - how's everyone who were trying to lose weight/ tone their bodies doing so far?

Last year I put on weight when my Mom visited me for a few weeks. She visited me again this Summer and I put on more weight. The problem was I couldn't shake off what I'd gained from her last trip, so the result = I'm at my heaviest ever. 4 and a half years ago I was 73 kilos before NYC happened, and now I'm a ginormous 87 kilos. I'm not tall at a measly 5'10 or 5'11 at most.

I'm seriously considering getting one of those indoor (training) cycles or whatever they're called so I can be indoors and do some exercise over winter, I'll have to figure out how I'm gonna make room for it. I'm cutting back on rice as much as possible since I love rice. Cutting off soda. Eating a healthier breakfast (corn flakes + milk vs a few cooked potatoes + sausages at the breakfast buffet downstairs). Maybe get some soups for dinner. Drinking a lot of water through the day. I used to swim back in school and college, but don't have the time for it now ("I'll look into it" - Batman to Gordon at the end of Batman Begins).

I need to get to Branded's level of toned physique!

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
IncantatioN said:
Bump - how's everyone who were trying to lose weight/ tone their bodies doing so far?

Last year I put on weight when my Mom visited me for a few weeks. She visited me again this Summer and I put on more weight. The problem was I couldn't shake off what I'd gained from her last trip, so the result = I'm at my heaviest ever. 4 and a half years ago I was 73 kilos before NYC happened, and now I'm a ginormous 87 kilos. I'm not tall at a measly 5'10 or 5'11 at most.

I'm seriously considering getting one of those indoor (training) cycles or whatever they're called so I can be indoors and do some exercise over winter, I'll have to figure out how I'm gonna make room for it. I'm cutting back on rice as much as possible since I love rice. Cutting off soda. Eating a healthier breakfast (corn flakes + milk vs a few cooked potatoes + sausages at the breakfast buffet downstairs). Maybe get some soups for dinner. Drinking a lot of water through the day. I used to swim back in school and college, but don't have the time for it now ("I'll look into it" - Batman to Gordon at the end of Batman Begins).

I need to get to Branded's level of toned physique!

You don't need that machine, you can do it all with a pair of dumbells if you if you lack the space. You don't have to stop eating rice, just change your portion size. Also, you can subtitute it with for brown rice or wild rice. For breakfast try oatmeal with fruits, such as strawberries or blueberries. Chicken and fish are good in protein and low on calories. Because I think your problem is that you eat more calories than what you burn, thus they are stored as fat. And if you grow some muscle you will actually burn more fat, so get to it man.

I'm at 228 currently. I cancelled my gym membership a few months ago (LA Fitness is a fucking rip-off!), and I put on about an additional 10-15 pounds. I kinda eat and drink like a sow too, though. I drink a lot of beer and I started drinking soda frequently again, too. Eating-wise, I go through spurts. Fortunately, I have the metabolism to drop that weight easily. I just gotta watch my intake. :???: ...which I don't care do! I might start another work-out regiment soon, but that depends. Both my boss and friend dropped out (they're both bar owners), and I'm not really looking to work out alone.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Why is LA fitness a rip off? I pay 30 a month. I usually workout alone, but I can do it with company as well. If you were here I would totally whip you into shape.

Th3Branded0ne said:
Why is LA fitness a rip off? I pay 30 a month. I usually workout alone, but I can do it with company as well. If you were here I would totally whip you into shape.

30 bucks is a rip-off if you're only going twice a month. I started going with my boss a few years back, and then I started going with a friend of mine too but she dropped out and started going to a cheaper local club on the other end of town. Then my boss dropped out so I cancelled my membership. I wish you were here, I'm sure you could whip me into shape. Your avatar makes you look pretty intimidating!~ :troll:

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
I'm currently ~190 lbs. at 5'10". I'm not particularly "fat" but definitely out of shape. My girlfriend still insists on constantly feeding me because she has taken a liking to my gut, don't ask me why, but I suppose it's flattering. When I met her, I was a cool 175, but after her mother gave me a gift basket of Mars candies and a Subway giftcard, my fat ass gained around 10 pounds in a week of having 3 course meals of Butterfingers. At the best shape of my life I was 21 and 165-170 lbs. The goal is to get back to that, stop eating entire loaves of whole wheat bread, cut out dairy, and possibly be some kind of vegan mystic warrior that dead-lifts elephants, only eats Thai food, and punches vivisectors in the face with bullets. I guess it's good that I haven't drank beer since I was 15, and meat-free since I was 19. Don't be fooled though, vegetarians can still eat like complete shit (I used to live off of Morningstar farms in my early stages. Sodium GMO deathtrap!)

One day though, one day...!

Th3Branded0ne said:
You don't need that machine, you can do it all with a pair of dumbells if you if you lack the space.

Let me know what (exercises) I can do with dumbbells versus the cycle-fitness machine thingie. Today's Day 1 of 'eating healthy'.

I've recently lost a lot of weight. I had some problems with my life that i needed to work out, so i ate pretty much everything. At a point i just couldn't go on so i started going to the gym on a daily basis again. I believe that watching what you eat is as important as working out. I try to eat a lot at the beginning of the day , then only small portions of food throughout the rest of the day. After the gym i usually eat a can of tuna. It doesn't really feel like diet at all. Something else i got to mention is water, i didn't drink any water so i forced my self on drinking at least a liter every day
Th3Branded0ne said:
So I feel pretty good and my eating habits are still the same, eat a portion as big a the palm of your hand, you can have at least a meal like that for about every 2 hours.
I usually try to eat something every 3 to 3.5 hours. The next thing i want to do is adding salads and fruits to what i eat. Of course you'll need one or two meals every week that you can have something really tasty like chocolate :ganishka:

Middle of November I got some blood work done (after like ... 7/ 8 years) and a urine test (first time) for a health insurance policy through my current bank. At that time I was 185 pounds, today I'm at 176 pounds and have cut out soda from my diet. I got back my test results today and here are some results that are off the 'range' (in Italics) in the report -

Calcium 10.6
7.5 - 10.5

Uric Acid 8.1
4 - 6.5

ALT (SGPT) 46
0 - 45

Total Cholesterol 305
120 - 220

LDL Cholesterol 199.4
50 - 178

Cholesterol/ HDL Ratio 8.068
1.5 - 4.5

Triglycerides 339
10 - 250

How bad is it? On the bright side the report said I was cleared for Hepatitis C/ HIV/ don't do Cocaine/ have no Hemoglobin Screen. I wanted to know before I sent this to my parents (and perhaps ... freaked them out?).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
At that time I was 185 kilos, today I'm at 176 and have cut out soda from my diet. [...] How bad is it?

Are you sure you're doing the calculation right? 176 kg (and not lbs)? Because that would mean you're morbidly obese and that's obviously not good at all regardless of what your test results are. As for the results themselves, well not being in the range means what it means: you're not very healthy. You should probably see a doctor and do whatever he tells you about it.

Top Bottom