Movies to dread

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
Oh come on, are you really playing that card? People don't like grit anymore? I think we're all just wary of how Snyder's going to make this work.

Yeah, but have we really been deluged with it in recent years to the point of absurdity? Like, to a truly Snydely extreme where we can say mission accomplished? I don't think so.

Let's examine how he improved Jonathan Kent's death in the last movie:

Superman (1978): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUUGDRxJnFU

vs., I mean, v

Man of Steel (2013) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j7lezDWh4M

Wow, so much better as an epic death scene from Twister than that boring stuff about purpose and mortality. It could only have been better if Superman was already fighting Batman then and that's why he couldn't save him; maybe we'll find out the tornado was caused by Batman's satellites though, and while they're at it they can improve the murder of his parents too (not dark and/or cool enough). Make it so that they were eaten by the Xenomorph, or skinned by Predators, or better yet blown up by the aliens from ID4 (like have that beam go directly in the top of their heads and KABOOM)! That can be why Batman hates Superman and aliens so much (added depth), and then he'll use his power armor to punch Superman a million miles away, like into outer space all the way to the sun (fucking awesome)! There's no way this movie could end up being anything but great, and certainly not stupid with a false veneer of respectability that just makes it stupider, like the title.

ANYWAY, here's something I think we can all agree is DOA and makes every other upcoming blockbuster look like a masterpiece (seriously, I kid with the BvS stuff, but this is serious like a heart attack). WARNING: It spoils what had to have been intended as an important reveal(?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGSxss7gWak

My God, it might just be so bad it's good; now THIS is absurd! :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
ANYWAY, here's something I think we can all agree is DOA and makes every other upcoming blockbuster look like a masterpiece (seriously, I kid with the BvS stuff, but this is serious like a heart attack). WARNING: It spoils what had to have been intended as an important reveal(?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGSxss7gWak

My God, it might just be so bad it's good; now THIS is absurd! :ganishka:

Jesus Christ, and I thought it couldn't get more convoluted...

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I didn't care at all about the new Terminator movie outside of that one fan-made paradox trailer, and I don't want to say that I want to see it now but... Holy hell, that real trailer is just so in-your-face dumb and throwing every garabage twist at you at once, and unlike most trailers they know the twists aren't the point and revealing this stuff doesn't hurt their movie because its just so absurd. Now that I've seen it, remembering that some people were angry that it "gave too much away" really makes me chuckle. I uh... might actually have to see this. Over-the-top B-Movie with a budget, with none of that 'I want to prove I can actually act' crap Arnold has been doing since his comeback.

Griffith

Re: Movies to DOOM!

F4NT4STIC FOU4 trailer 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rRoD28-WgU

I would have revived the "Movies to ???" thread for this one, because this one's not that bad and who cares enough to dread it, but then I saw DOOM and felt great woe.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Griffith said:
F4NT4STIC FOU4 trailer 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rRoD28-WgU

I would have revived the "Movies to ???" thread for this one, because this one's not that bad and who cares enough to dread it, but then I saw DOOM and felt great woe.

"We.should.use.these.powers.to.help.people."

Boy, that is one sedate Thing.

Griffith

Walter said:
"We.should.use.these.powers.to.help.people."

Boy, that is one sedate Thing.

Yeah, and are they implying he came along because he's an athlete (that looks to be about 5'7")?

Also, that line from Torch is basically the same as the last iteration, and besides being updated with the appropriate level of modern earnestness, what's the difference here? I mean, I guess the last version was so cheesy you can't help but improve on it, but this just looks like an equivalent update. Oh well, I suppose it'll be something when they cross over with X-Men because... people want that?

At this rate, how long until Fox takes Sony's "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" stance and we get X-Men in the MCU, or will they never do it on principle? I feel like Fox has a way stronger hand with the variety of stars in the greater X-Men franchise/family, they just don't know how to play it. Singer's X-men is both the best thing they've got and also what's holding them back from doing anything else with the property (I'd say doing something more exciting or better, but they haven't proven themselves capable anyway). They're kind of stuck.

Jared-Leto-Joker-Tattoos-Teeth.jpg

First picture of Jared Letto as the Joker. Man he looks bad.

This is the look he got when he was fired from hot topic. Don't judge it before you see it, unless you have a tattoo saying damaged on your forehead. You guys should find the batman equivalent. It's funny stuff. I don't mind the look, however the tattoos push the cheese and angry teenager theme so far into stupidity....eesh.

Griffith

Leto doesn't actually look half bad, though I doubt he can project and maintain that mania in real time; it's all the on-the-nose youth culture pandering that's atrocious.

#YOLO BATMAN!

Griffith

http://io9.com/jared-letos-new-joker-already-has-an-epic-set-of-memes-1700176400

My favorites have to be the one Walter posted, the Home Alone one for the old school somethingawfulness, and my personal fave:

CDaDhoHXIAAGe6y.png

Also:

http://defamer.gawker.com/some-tech-asshole-pitched-sony-on-turning-spiderman-int-1699831682/+charliejane

Looks like this guy was spamming these emails! I'm surprised the Leto-Joker doesn't have "NBD" tattooed on his forehead.

Griffith said:

That's great. :ganishka:

Griffith said:
Leto doesn't actually look half bad, though I doubt he can project and maintain that mania in real time; it's all the on-the-nose youth culture pandering that's atrocious.

#YOLO BATMAN!

You hit the nail on the head here. I don't dislike the look, but the thought process behind getting to that point bugs the shit out of me. Take the damaged tattoo as an example. It's not so bad in and of itself. But it's way too self-aware for something the Joker would actually do. ("I'm a nut job with a sense of humor. I know I'm a nut job with a sense of humor. So I'll get 'damaged' tattooed on my forehead as a joke because I really am damaged! Ha!") It's what gets the target demographic's money though so whatever.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
When was the Joker known for subtlety?

I think, like me, he's referring to this aspect:
4f12.jpg

Which is already hard to avoid when Jokervis essentially being played by this guy:

latest

I will say it already looks way better than I expected from Leto, which is to say somewhat appropriately cringeworthy instead of just completely ineffective. I don't get the point of this movie anyway; it's like DC's version of that stupid Sinister Six movie idea that was mercifully put down.

Skeleton said:
It's what gets the target demographic's money though so whatever.

That's what I really don't get, I feel like the ven diagram of target demographics for people that would be into, let alone have heard of, the Suicide Squad and would be into this look for Joker is two small separate circles that barely touch, if at all. It's like they're making something for a target audience that basically doesn't exist (or I'm severely underestimating).

Freakin Point Break remake looks dumb dumb dumb ... let's make a movie with some daredevil stunts and put Utah and Bodhi in it, no brah, doesn't work that way - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncvFAm4kYCo

N3M1dPy.jpg

Griffith

Jurassic World is more Lost World than Jurassic Park, and that's being too kind (Lost World is easily better). It doesn't deserve the biggest opening weekend ever, and it certainly doesn't deserve to be among the highest grossing movies ever. I wish I could funnel the money it's garnering, and people's eyeballs, to Fury Road instead. "Mediocre!"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Jurassic World is more Lost World than Jurassic Park, and that's being too kind (Lost World is easily better). It doesn't deserve the biggest opening weekend ever, and it certainly doesn't deserve to be among the highest grossing movies ever.

Ouch! Can't say I expected any less, but it's frustrating that it's already made $200M.

Reviews are also confusing. Top-listed reviews on Rottentomatoes (where it currently has 70% fresh) include excerpts such as "If you limit your expectations for Jurassic World to "more teeth," it will deliver on that promise. If you dare to hope for anything more-relatable characters, narrative coherence-you'll only set yourself up for disappointment." & "There's a problem when the most complex character in a film is the dinosaur" Both of which warranted a FRESH review rating. What?

I wish I could funnel the money it's garnering, and people's eyeballs, to Fury Road instead. "Mediocre!"

Max has a 98% fresh rating on RT. :beast:

Griffith said:
Jurassic World is more Lost World than Jurassic Park, and that's being too kind (Lost World is easily better). It doesn't deserve the biggest opening weekend ever, and it certainly doesn't deserve to be among the highest grossing movies ever. I wish I could funnel the money it's garnering, and people's eyeballs, to Fury Road instead. "Mediocre!"

Agreed.

The problem is, people in the theater were gushing and excited and laughing and even clapping when a few things happened throughout. They were prolly there to see a bunch of dinosaurs and have some fun, regardless of what they showed or how the plot went. The cheesiest moments got the biggest responses, ironically I cringed through those moments
like when Blue had a solo run towards the end to save T-Rex from Baddie-Rex or the predictable "lets push it close to the water so the big fishie can take a shot at it

I watched it at a theater half a block away from Times Square, so it was a packed house. Families mainly and a lot of kids. Hmmm I think my problem with it was as an adult I expected a cohesive plot, sense of thrill and adventure. Jurassic Park had me at the edge of my seat when I saw it as a kid and even today, it holds up soooo well! On the flip side, I can see how kids watching this today will have a blast as I did back in the day when Jurassic Park came out.

What worked - Pratt, Howard and the kids were a good casting choices. Pratts character - Owens interaction with the raptors was cool to watch.
The scene with I-Rex and the kids in their spherical vehicle and escape sequence.

What didn't -
I-Rex wasn't as thrilling/ menacing a villain as the T-Rex was in Jurassic Park but I blame the story, setup etc. To see the T-Rex slightly controlled by Howard's character was iffy ... plus the cheesy mandatory shout at the end of the movie, ugh.
Irrfan Khan, the Indian CEO or whatever was a bit hard to follow because he mumbled half the time. He's actually one of the better actors in Bollywood.

I still wish Pratt didn't hop on his Scrambler ... he should've ridden a raptor!! (aka totally unreasonably and over the top ... I know I know).

Griffith

Yeah, people seemed to enjoy the ride, the movie didn't take itself too seriously and I had a couple chuckles, but I was shocked at how by the numbers this movie was for all the success it's having. The plot was a skeleton just to show off dinosaurs, but there wasn't even that many of them, they didn't do anything that interesting, and by the end I felt like nothing much had happened. I guess I just have higher expectations for my blockbusters nowadays. Say what you will about Marvel and the like, but movies like the Avengers are at least somewhat ambitious and complicated, if not convoluted, and there's a wow factor, like they're trying to show you something you've never seen before. By comparison this wasn't even trying. They go to the park, I-Rex gets out, stomps around a bit, they deal with it, the end. Spoiler: That's all that happens! Like I said, shockingly straightforward and by the numbers. Some of those numbers aren't even colored in; the subplots and themes were such undetailed broad strokes they were more like ideas of what could have been themes or subplots, but aren't actually executed. There's not a single arc in this movie somehow. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm holding it to some ridiculously hoity-toity standard, I'm really not, it just didn't cover the basics or meet the standard of what I expect from, even mindless, summer tentpoles these days. Oh well, now I really want to watch Jurassic Park again. I think it's easy to take for granted how great that movie actually is (we just thought every CGI monster movie to follow would be that riveting due to the effects =), but not today.

IncantatioN said:
I still wish Pratt didn't hop on his Scrambler ... he should've ridden a raptor!! (aka totally unreasonably and over the top ... I know I know).

They might as well have though, I mean at least that would have been something.

Griffith said:
"Mediocre!"
I'm actually surprised it even ranked in at mediocre. I saw the previews and it didn't look promising to say the least. :schierke: The first one was gold. So much great character interaction and funny stuff, plus of course the well done action and suspense. One of the only movies I've seen that made me scream out loud in the theater. :magni: LOL Granted I was in middle school at the time, but still. The original came on TV a couple weeks ago. I meant to just watch a few minutes of it, but it sucked me in and I ended up watching the whole thing. I really enjoyed it. I think it's a movie that's held up well, even after all these years.

Top Bottom