Recommendations for Manga

Sigh so with the long breaks in between Berserk episodes, I thought may be I should pick some other manga that you have read and would highly recommended. I have faith that being a Berserk fan you must have a good choice for a manga series. I don't care whether its a continuing or one that has already finished.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Vagabond, Blade of the Immortal, Eden: it's an endless world, Deathnote, Blame, Bleach, Battle Royale,

I'm guessing you want a manga that's more like Berserk and less like bleach or one piece. Battle Royale and Eden are two of my other favorite mangas that adult. Gantz is also interesting.

Solarmaker

I am completly ready for a Zombie attack!
I would suggest battle angel alita. It's kind of old and hard to get ahold of but well worth the effort.
I also second the battle royal suggestion. It's an awesome manga, and movie, along with novel. All three are good, just don't watch the second movie *barf*
Another one that I really liked was Threads of Time. it's a Korean manga but good enough I collected the whole series which i don't often do.

Vagabond. It's the only manga that I know of that's in the same league as Berserk.

If you just want to pass the time you could also try Fist of the North Star, Ghost in the Shell or GTO and it's prequels. Slam Dunk and Hajime no Ippo would also get my recommendation.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'll put in another good word for Vagabond. It's the only other series I follow, and you'll find no shortage of fans of it here on SKnet.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Vagabond. What better Berserk substitute than the manga that won the Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize with it? I think this sums up my feelings:

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=9902.msg139620#msg139620

If that doesn't convince you to give it a look, here's some flowery critical blurbs:

"...reads like an Akira Kurosawa film captured on the printed page."

"More than just flesh-splitting battle scenes and mandala-like sequences of spiritual introspection, Vagabond seems to contain the entire world and span the entire human condition."

To which I'll add: it's really fucking good. =)

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
God Tier
Vagabond, Blade of the Immortal

Awesome Tier
Mushi-shi, Vinland Saga, Akumetsu

Random manga I love but many here might not... tier
Shigurui, One Piece​

People might not agree with me but I got caught up in Riki-oh. BLOODY and in the "toughguy, badass, fighting impossible odds" genre.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ori said:
People might not agree with me but I got caught up in Riki-oh. BLOODY and in the "toughguy, badass, fighting impossible odds" genre.
It's also a pretty hilariously bad live-action movie, complete with AWESUM exploding head props and exploding dogs.

Some recommendations.

Hellsing
Death Note
Basilisk
Claymore
Vampire Hunter D

Those are pretty much the only mangas I can sit down & read, but I hope they wont disappoint.

Vagabond and Mugen no Junin (Blade of the Immortal). I only read those + Berserk. All other manga has become a complete waste of time to read IMO. It's the best or nothing for me.

X

Xem

Bio Booster Armor Guyver

Somehow it's the only manga that I read and really stuck to me, aside from Berserk of course.

Besides BERSERK and Vagabond, my other favorite is Priest, a Korean manhwa by Min-Woo Hyung. It's a western horror revenge story about a Catholic priest who unlocks a secret puzzle that resurrects a fallen angel, killing him and his love in the process. He sells his soul to the devil in order to be resurrected himself, and sets out on a bloody path of vengeance. I know it sounds like another of those kinds of stories, but there really is a lot to it and it turns into a very dark, compelling story. Min-Woo Hyung is an amazing writer, and really knows how to create sympathetic characters. Not to mention the angular art style is so original and amazing, I can't get enough of it. I just wish Min-Woo Hyung would put them out more often. I've been waiting for vol 17 for almost 2 years now.

081222MG302.jpg

Oburi

All praise Grail
NightCrawler said:
MPD Psycho.

BLAME!

I have the first volume of MPD psycho and tried reading through but just couldn't. Am I retarded or is that manga a little hard to follow...or read...or something. I just couldn't keep up with it, though i hear great things. Does it get better or easier to understand later on?

Griffith said:
Berserk and Vagabond or Miura and Inoue go together like Guts and Griffith or Musashi and Kojiro

(sung)
Like Laurel and Hardy,
like Coke and Baccardi
Like Juliet and Romeo,
Ebb and Flow,
To and Fro,
Together, Together they go...

Together they go for a good time,
They've only met in a dream!
Up until now it's been the worst time,
but now that they're here,
they're a team!

It's easy to see, you have to agree
They're destined to be a great pair!

Like Ginger and Freddie

Macdonald and Eddy

Like San Juan and Teddy

Or Meatballs and Spaghetti!

But the pair that we cry for
The pair that we sigh for
The pair that we die for
is BER-SER-KU and VA-GA-BONDO,
It's easy to see, you have to agree
They're destined to be a great pair!

Like Gimbel and Macy

Like Hepburn and Tracy

Like Lombard and Gable

Like good ol' Cain and Abel!

For a good time,
Together they go!
Together forever they go! :guts:

I guess now Vagabond is on my "to read list" if I can find the time...

I'm surprised no one has said Gantz yet. That manga is still going and I think it's in a close race with Berserk IMO.(Please no one yell at me!)

Walter said:
It's also a pretty hilariously bad live-action movie, complete with AWESUM exploding head props and exploding dogs.

lol ya it is funny. But if you look at the manga scenes and the matching scenes from the live-action movie you'll see that they match each other sometimes right down to the camera angle. Especially the scene when the warden grows. Sometimes some manga can just not be live-action.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
ori said:
I'm surprised no one has said Gantz yet. That manga is still going and I think it's in a close race with Berserk IMO.(Please no one yell at me!)

I don't think there's even a race between Gantz and Berserk. I have read Gantz, but I just gave it alittle bit after Kai got back from the dead. It just felt like a recycling human plant. You die and then let someone bring you back or get an awesome weapon with 100 points. Next time if you find a green mushroom you get an extra life :schierke:

Oburi

All praise Grail
ori said:

I did mention it. Third post down. And it dosn't compare to berserk at all. I mean it's graphic and what not but it's a pretty shallow manga, unlike Berserk.

Top Bottom