Recommendations for Manga

I recommend this manga I just started reading called "Berserk". I don't know where it's going but so far it's a guy with a big sword choppin up demons and crap! It's pretty ownage at the moment, but I have a feeling it's going to get really dragged down with tedious and unnecessary backstory. You guys should all read it! :slan:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff Goldblum Fan said:
I recommend this manga I just started reading called "Berserk". I don't know where it's going but so far it's a guy with a big sword choppin up demons and crap! It's pretty ownage at the moment, but I have a feeling it's going to get really dragged down with tedious and unnecessary backstory. You guys should all read it! :slan:

Hahaha you're so wacky.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Whoaa revival. It's been said in the thread already, but I'm reading Hunter X Hunter and really enjoying it. If anybody's in the mood for a good fighthing shonen type, you should check it out. It's by the author of Yu Yu Hakusho, and the fighting system in it is pretty complex and interesting, the story starts out pretty generic but gets nice, and I like the characters a lot. Oh, and it's what Naruto basically ripped off when it comes to the plot, so it's like the actual good version in a way. :slan:

I find it funny that many of the top Jump titles these days are almost directly ripped off from Togashi's work. Gintama basically takes the premise of Level E and mixes it with Sgt. Frog. Bleach took Yu Yu Hakusho's premise and even took to copying Jojo's Bizarre Adventure later on like YYH did(Togashi even admits himself that a certain part of the story is an homage to Jojo), Naruto heavily copies HxH's story and a bit of the fighting system, and Toriko is a less serious sort of mixture of One Piece, HxH, and Kinnikuman. Although Dragonball and HnK definitely influenced a lot of those stories a lot too.

Anyway, check it out! It's licensed in the US, has an old anime series that ended, and a new reboot airing now!

I prefer the older anime a lot more than the new episodes that are out because 1) the music theme on the old RULES and the new doesn't have anything definite which is a trend I see these days with newer series, 2) the voice actors were better in the old series, and 3) the old followed the manga a lot closer than the new from the first 7 episodes I've seen so far.

Big Hunter X Hunter fan here, the last finished arc felt drawn-out/ dragged on big-time and it starts off great with a poor end for me. Supa disappointing to say the least but I'm glad it ended at least. The post arc that's being published currently is a good comeback though!

EDIT: Recently I picked up the first 2 volumes of The Summit Of The Gods. It's not extraordinary in terms of art but it doesn't give away much when you're in the thick of the story and it creeps on you. Once I hit the middle of volume 1, I found myself wanting to go chapter after chapter. Having caught up I can't wait for the paperback for volume 3 to come out in Jan next year. Here a synopsis I found online "In a small Nepalese shop, Fukamachi stumbles across a camera which may well be that of George Mallory, the celebrated mountain climber who was the first to attempt to conquer Everest. Mallory disappeared along with Andrew Irvine, during the course of their ascent in 1924, without leaving any indication of whether they reached the summit or not. So what if it was only on their return trip that they had their fatal accident.".

Dr.Legato

Art of War Supporter
Dar Klink said:
For any fans of gambling anime out there or of just general thriller/suspense I'd highly recommend the Kaiji anime/manga. It's about a man who's basically fucked over by a debt he didn't reall get himself into and now has to take part in some insane high-stakes gambling in order to either get rid of his debt, be forced into back breaking slave labor for two years, or get himself into even more debt. Over the course of the story he gets addicted to crazy ass gambling games hosted by this crazy rich old man out to prove that some people are garbage who would do anything for money. It has a really weird art style that takes some getting used to, is practically devoid of women, and has a lot of over explaining dialogue, but gets really intense at times.
kaiji.jpg

Also if you like Kaiji, you should read or watch another series by the same author called Akagi. It's about a genius mahjong player who nearly takes over Japan's underworld with his almost demonic luck and opponent reading skills.
akagi.jpg

Aaand one more from the same author is Gambling Emperor Zero which is almost like Akagi and Kaiji combined where a young genius gets into a bunch of strange gambling games hosted by a rich as fuck old man who likes to force people to do what he tells them because of money.
3967p.jpg

Yeah love the work of Fukumoto :ubik:
Have you tried Buraiden Gai?

"Summary

One incredibly tough kid tries to clear his name. He’s no murderer, and he’ll do whatever it takes to prove it…

From Baka-Updates:
The story revolves around Kudo Gai, a mischievous 13 year old all alone in the world. He despises his classmates who live by their free will, although supported by parents, but taking it for granted. Gai soon finds out he is contradicting himself for he is being raised at an orphanage as well,and makes an attempt for independence. His actions lands him in trouble, where he is framed for murder and sent to a place in an unknown location called the 'human institute'."

I also recommend Legend of the Strongest Man, Kurosawa
"Summary

44 years old, single, working in a construction company for his entire life. All Kurosawa wants is a little respect from his co-workers. And a little popularity won't hurt. Unfortunately Kurosawa's plans fail miserably from time to time and one day, he finds himself right in the middle of a fight against...delinquent middle schoolers?"

Read both of them @ mangafox

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Yeah Incantation, I'm on the Greed Island arc right now, but I've heard it has similar problems to Yu Yu Hakusho where he kinda tapers off at a certain point and seems to lose the motivation, which is why it's sometimes called Hiatus x Hiatus(hey I should catch up on Vagabond too and wait for Berserk, HxH, and that at the same time!), I have a feeling there's some editor crap going on again, I know Jump is brutal in that regard

Yeah Legato, I've heard of Gai but haven't go to reading it just yet, I love Kurosawa though, it's my favorite work of his, definitely in my top 5 favorite manga. I still need to read Ten as well, but I still have no idea how to play Maahjong so I'd like to learn it more in-depth before I read more of Ten or Kaiji part 3.

IncantatioN said:
Big Hunter X Hunter fan here, the last finished arc felt drawn-out/ dragged on big-time and it starts off great with a poor end for me. Supa disappointing to say the least but I'm glad it ended at least. The post arc that's being published currently is a good comeback though!
I really like Hunter x Hunter, i've been reading it for many years now. Could you please tell me what you didn't like on the ant arc ? I would like to see your opinion. I enjoyed it quite a lot
The fights between the hunters and the Ants were really good to read through. I really found myself waiting anxiously about the new chapter. I really like the chapters about Netero's past and his fight with the King was great !
I don't mind waiting between the chapters. I see it like i see Berserk, it may take some while between the episodes, but it's worth the wait.

Dr.Legato

Art of War Supporter
Dar Klink said:
Yeah Legato, I've heard of Gai but haven't go to reading it just yet, I love Kurosawa though, it's my favorite work of his, definitely in my top 5 favorite manga. I still need to read Ten as well, but I still have no idea how to play Maahjong so I'd like to learn it more in-depth before I read more of Ten or Kaiji part 3.
Havent read a single mahjong volume either, but I talked to someone who was a huge Akagi (manga) fan and he didnt understand mahjong either, so I think you should be fine when reading TEN...
you can read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahjong

Buraiden gai is really good, easy to understand, no mahjong =p
I liked Kurosawa too ^^ more people should read it!

Top Bottom