Clear Headed Fish

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
http://www.sciam.com/gallery_directory.cfm?photo_id=B33AB931-0A75-4C6A-75914E3A5AC011A7

MACROPINNA MICROSTOMA: A "BARRELEYE" FISH

This fish might look made for science—or just plain made-up—but it's 100 percent real. First described in 1939, this "barreleye" has been somewhat of a mystery to science. But researchers from the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute were recently able to catch one of the deep-sea creatures and study it in a shipboard aquarium. They've learned that the fish can actually rotate its eyes upward to peer through its transparent, liquid-filled head. It's believed that the green color of the eyes (seen here looking skyward) might help to filter out sunlight so the fish can better spot its prey—glowing jellyfish—from its stomping grounds 2,000 to 2,600 feet (600 to 800 meters) below the surface.
--Katherine Harmon

B33AB931-0A75-4C6A-75914E3A5AC011A7.jpg

At first it didn't look that different. I wonder if they will keep it for an exhibition or release it. Those bottom ocean dwellers sure look like a nightmare I had once.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a photoshop to me. I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing a few "shops" in my days.

Top Bottom