Recent content by Zephyr42

1. Zephyr42

Cartoonist Kayfabe on Berserk

Curious that they mention not seeing "the macguffin", but somehow didn't notice the prevalence and significance of the brand. It's on the cover, it's on Guts, Puck asks about it and Guts says "you'll find out soon enough", the snake apostle identifies it by name as the Brand of Sacrifice, etc...
  2. Zephyr42

What Are You Playing?

I'm honestly having the opposite impression. I adore the bounty of quality of life improvements, new mechanics, and expansions of the map, but I still find myself feeling like I'm more likely to do a replay of Breath of the Wild over this, in the future. I agree that the building feels like a...
  3. Zephyr42

What is your favourite manga? (besides the obvious one)

Blade of the Immortal, perhaps?
  4. Zephyr42

What is your favourite manga? (besides the obvious one)

Ditto. I'm a really big fan of Toriyama's comedic sensibilities; his dry sense of humor, his comedic timing, and the elaborate gag-based naming-system he employs in Dragon Ball. I also really like fantasy martial arts/kung fu media, and Dragon Ball has Toriyama applying his Dr. Slump style...
  5. Zephyr42

The last of us: those who see "Games as..."

Yeah, I'm aware of the problem, but as said that doesn't really dissuade me. It's not even the case, under my view, that 'everything' can be construed as art; natural phenomena, having not been created by anyone, wouldn't be eligible under my framework (unless one believes that natural phenomena...
  6. Zephyr42

The last of us: those who see "Games as..."

I haven't played The Last of Us, so I can't comment on that. But I've thought a lot about the idea of "Games as Art", so I have some things to say about it! I agree with this. It's a somewhat controversial position in the field of Aesthetics, but I believe that as long as something A: has been...
  7. Zephyr42

Episode 371

With how Mori and Studio Gaga have misunderstood how traveling along the world tree works, and how the Beast of Darkness works, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they have also misunderstood how the beherit works. Maybe it will activate and Guts will sacrifice his most cherished love: his sword!
  8. Zephyr42

So hard to find serious, mature manga for adults. Any suggestions?

Yeah, Vinland Saga gets really introspective in its back half, so I also recommend sticking with it. Also seconding Naoki Urasawa's Monster, as well as another work of his, 20th/21st Century Boys. Devilman and Fist of the North Star are (demographically speaking) literally "shonen", but...
  9. Zephyr42

What Are You Playing?

Are you by chance planning on playing Golden Sun: The Lost Age? While it's technically a sequel to Golden Sun, they were originally conceived of as a single game, which was split due to technical limitations. The Lost Age was released the next year, and finishes the story that begins with the...
  10. Zephyr42

Games to look forward to!

Personally, this is why I pay more attention to the indie scene these days. A lot more creativity and experimentation going on. I don't know exactly what everyone's specific taste in games are around here, so these might not 'diamonds' to you as they are to me, but let's see. A lot of my...
  11. Zephyr42

Episode 362

Shit, I even tried to double check before posting, but I had a shorter window of time to proofread than intended, so I missed your post clarifying it on this very page. Thanks! Yeah, I'm mainly thinking either an intentional fake out, or foreshadowing Griffdeath. Or both at once? Maybe not...
  12. Zephyr42

Episode 362

I'm trying (and failing) not to read too much into it, but the white hair in this panel screamed "Griffith!" to me. And I don't know exactly what to takeaway from that. It could be coincidence, as Griffith doesn't exactly have a monopoly on flowing white locks, but the framing of the panel...
  13. Zephyr42

What Are You Playing?

I never actually beat Super Mario Bros. 3 as a kid, so I've been working through that. I've also started dipping into the Shining series to get my Golden Sun fix, and to appreciate what the latter actually did to iterate on the former. Not sure if they're as mindblowing to others as they are to...
  14. Zephyr42

Episode 360

Like, I get the "RPG Party" analogy well enough, but something about it bugs me, and it's not just because I shudder at trying to "game-ify" stories, but also because of the real world historical evolution of RPGs (and, thus, the very ontology of RPGs). In terms of the raw, abstract gameplay...
  15. Zephyr42

What are you listening to? (general music thread)

Mostly black metal, viking metal, and folk metal. More specifically, Venom, Bathory, Korpiiklani, and Ensiferum. It all scratches a weird sort of itch I've had lately, especially if I listen to them while playing Skyrim, Breath of the Wild, or the new Animal Crossing game. Don't be too...
Top Bottom