Black Swordsman Arc animation by SWEETHEARTIST

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I don't understand what you mean.

I mean that by any metric, this video is not very good at all, but I recognize that effort went into creating it regardless of the poor outcome. As a result, on a scale of A to F, I grade it E. It's a reference to the US school system.

Have you seen another animation you can recommend?

The 1997 Berserk TV series remains the gold standard for Berserk adaptations.

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
Well, its better than the 2016 anime adaptations just because its 2D and you can actually see emotions in their faces. And I really like Guts' voice.

I have no intention in rating this with a number or grade as I think there is no real comparission/benchmark, but I'll stay tuned for the next episodes since I can feel the blood, sweat and tears that went into it. It's a nicely done one-man project :guts:

I have no hopes for the fighting scenes though. It seems like the creator cuts away from any continous fighting, since its way to troublesome to animate it I guess?

The 1997 Berserk TV series remains the gold standard for Berserk adaptations
I mean an animation of the Black Swordsman arc? The series does not have much of that.

It's a nicely done one-man project
I think it is a woman doing it.

It seems like the creator cuts away from any continous fighting
Yes; it is seems so. Those scenes must require a lot of investment. Seeing this animation was refreshing though, for me, given that the reference I have is the 2016-anime as you mention.

Well, its better than the 2016 anime adaptations just because its 2D and you can actually see emotions in their faces.
after watching it i do think its obviously better than 2016 but just because its 2d doesn't make the emotion inherently more apparent.

It has more of it than this, and it's incomparably better.
while the black swordsman episode of 1997 is better than this i think we're better off with than without this small fan project. also i do think that it is comparable.

If a person didn't know the story I think he'd be kind of bored. It's 10 minutes and only two things happen - Guts kills the Snake Lord's men and Guts kills the female apostle. The movie doesn't flow well from scene to scene. The author should have consulted with someone on the script and storyboard. Also, perhaps he should have a hired a separate enthusiast for the audio mixing.

If a person didn't know the story I think he'd be kind of bored. It's 10 minutes and only two things happen - Guts kills the Snake Lord's men and Guts kills the female apostle. The movie doesn't flow well from scene to scene. The author should have consulted with someone on the script and storyboard. Also, perhaps he should have a hired a separate enthusiast for the audio mixing.
that is a fair criticism but in my opinion it was pretty enjoyable. also i think the first point you made doesnt make much sense because i dont see anyone who hasnt seen berserk clicking on the video in the first place. no harsh feelings tho

Jeez, I'm seeing so many of these "Berserk fan projects" popping up.

It's neat. It looks like a fun little project I hope they enjoyed making. I can't really tolerate watching it from beginning to end due to the aesthetics though. Like most of these fan projects (and understandably so) they come off very cheap, like flash animations I used to watching in high school. Just a lot of slipping and sliding still images like a power point and pretty gross looking (to me) art. Applying that style to Berserk does not gel with me.

It's funny seeing reactions and conversations around this though. "It's 2D so it's better than 2016" seems to be popular (even here on these forums). I can assure you, if Millepensee/GEMBA release THIS instead of the 2016 series, the same fans of this flash animation would NOT be so kind. :ganishka:

Last edited:

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
Millepensee/GEMBA release THIS instead of the 2016 series, the same fans of this flash animation would NOT be so kind.
That is obvious, since you compare one person to a whole studio which earns money off their product. If they had released a whole season on that level, fans would not be happy - rightly so. But I would still enjoy it more. The 2016 anime is unwatchable...

That is obvious, since you compare one person to a whole studio which earns money off their product. If they had released a whole season on that level, fans would not be happy - rightly so. But I would still enjoy it more. The 2016 anime is unwatchable...
Right...so it's only better because it's made by one person, not because it actually is better. I can assure you, these people truly think it looks and animates better, or at least want to say that they do.

Wait, you just said that obviously it wouldn't be as good or received as well, and then immediately say that you would still enjoy it more. So were you guys being honest that you think it's objectively better this whole time? I guess Gemba really should have gone with 2D SOULFUL flash animation instead.

while the black swordsman episode of 1997 is better than this i think we're better off with than without this small fan project.
I agree for myself. It was a positive experience for me. I do not regret watching it. In fact, I will follow this project and see how far it goes!

It looks like a fun little project I hope they enjoyed making.
Exactly; it warms my heart seeing people get passionate and driven to craft something on their own because of Berserk. That is the impression I get, and I can relate.

Just a lot of slipping and sliding still images like a power point
I get what you mean; I find it funny. I am glad you put it into words. :slan:

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
I never said that its only better because its done by one person. No idea how you concluded that.

Wait, you just said that obviously it wouldn't be as good or received as well, and then immediately say that you would still enjoy it more.
How are these statements contradicting? Yes, when a whole studio, instead of one person, releases this kind of animation and then charge money for it, people are not going to be so kind. And yes, as I said from the very beginning, I enjoy the fan project more than the 2016 anime.

I guess Gemba really should have gone with 2D SOULFUL flash animation instead.
Not saying they should have. I'm saying it would have been better than the crap we got instead. But ultimately, the studio should have gone for something worth of a studio: A high quality, enjoyable anime.

I never said that its only better because its done by one person. No idea how you concluded that.

How are these statements contradicting? Yes, when a whole studio, instead of one person, releases this kind of animation and then charge money for it, people are not going to be so kind. And yes, as I said from the very beginning, I enjoy the fan project more than the 2016 anime.

Not saying they should have. I'm saying it would have been better than the crap we got instead. But ultimately, the studio should have gone for something worth of a studio: A high quality, enjoyable anime.
I got you, I'm sorry that I misunderstood.

I think I'm just riled up that we are receiving so much low quality content... Both in the actual manga along side this influx of meh fan content that people are freaking out and praising so much. This is just the reality now... A wave of new Berserk content praised to high heaven that is such a pale imitation of what Berserk was... :judo:

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I think I'm just riled up that we are receiving so much low quality content... Both in the actual manga along side this influx of meh fan content that people are freaking out and praising so much. This is just the reality now... A wave of new Berserk content praised to high heaven that is such a pale imitation of what Berserk was... :judo:

That's because a lot of people treat it as a brand to cheer on as if it were a sports team, instead of judging each item purely on its merit. The fact these projects are barely even animated or aren't particularly faithful adaptations doesn't matter. Of course, this begs the question of whether they can perceive the actual quality of the Berserk manga in the first place. You know the answer.

In parallel there's the belief everyone ought to get a participation medal as long as they made something. That means we should praise every project regardless of how it turns out. I can understand that compulsion to be nice, even though it's unnatural and fundamentally hypocritical.

That's because a lot of people treat it as a brand to cheer on as if it were a sports team, instead of judging each item purely on its merit. The fact these projects are barely even animated or aren't particularly faithful adaptations doesn't matter. Of course, this begs the question of whether they can perceive the actual quality of the Berserk manga in the first place. You know the answer.

In parallel there's the belief everyone ought to get a participation medal as long as they made something. That means we should praise every project regardless of how it turns out. I can understand that compulsion to be nice, even though it's unnatural and fundamentally hypocritical.
i think this is a logical ideology and makes sense but people like what they like and sometimes there isnt any rhyme or reason to it

that is a fair criticism but in my opinion it was pretty enjoyable. also i think the first point you made doesnt make much sense because i dont see anyone who hasnt seen berserk clicking on the video in the first place. no harsh feelings tho
I understand what you mean, but you can't just make an adaptation of something and expect only those who know about the source material to watch it. There still has to be a setup and a payoff. I have to be able to follow them.

I recently saw "Wyatt Earp" from 1994. It's a film based on some classic American literature or something that I've never read. During the late stages of the American Frontier, the film was paced and cut so strangely it was hard to understand what was happening. It's because it was made in mind with people already being familiar with the story. Now, America doesn't have to cater its culture to anybody, but some more cohesiveness would have helped me follow the events. Apparently one of the characters was a junkie, but the movie doesn't really show it and definitely doesn't say it.

I understand what you mean, but you can't just make an adaptation of something and expect only those who know about the source material to watch it. There still has to be a setup and a payoff. I have to be able to follow them.

I recently saw "Wyatt Earp" from 1994. It's a film based on some classic American literature or something that I've never read. During the late stages of the American Frontier, the film was paced and cut so strangely it was hard to understand what was happening. It's because it was made in mind with people already being familiar with the story. Now, America doesn't have to cater its culture to anybody, but some more cohesiveness would have helped me follow the events. Apparently one of the characters was a junkie, but the movie doesn't really show it and definitely doesn't say it.
thats a fair point

Top Bottom