Dark Horse taking up a mighty load

Okay, when I first heard the news that Dark Horse was gonna be releasing Berserk in Oct. I was thrilled. Then I got to thinking, I've never read a manga done by Dark Horse before, the only thing I've hever heard of is their, what some would call, failure with Initial D.

What the genreal consensus, do you guys think that Dark Horse will be up to the challenge, or will the screw it up completely?

Markaveli63

I don't love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Dark Horse didn't release Initial D, that was TokyoPop.

I've only read Lone Wolf and Cub by Dark Horse, and I think that was a good release. They even had a chapter at the end which explained the Japanese terms, and in a later volume some extra information about the time, weapons, etc.

But from others I've heard that Dark Horse is pretty good with their releases.

lye

Nihilist!
iv read prt of immortal blade, and i liked it, they explained a lot of it, why they did it the way they did, the time period and such, and it looked good to me, i like dark horse from a lot of the comics thev put out in the past, some of the starwars, indaina jones, the video game ones they do, and iv allways liked them, and like mark said tokyo pop did initial d, i havnt read it, but i heard it sucked because of all the name changes and what not, i have read there cowboy bebop, and i didnt like it that much

Markaveli63

I don't love YaBB 1G - SP1!
I've read through some of the Initial D manga's in a local store, and the character names are pretty bad. I can't believe they screw up that badly on such a great series.

For example, Nakazato is now called "Zack", Takahashi Keisuke "K.T.", Mogi "Natalie", Itsuki "Iggy" (ugh), etc.

But, if it weren't for the name changed, I would've probably bought TokyoPops Initial D manga. I also have some of their GTO manga's, and those are perfectly fine to me. So it's probably just their Initial D manga (and anime, even worse) that sucks.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
lye said:
iv read prt of immortal blade, and i liked it, they explained a lot of it, why they did it the way they did, the time period and such, and it looked good to me, i like dark horse from a lot of the comics thev put out in the past, some of the starwars, indaina jones, the video game ones they do, and iv allways liked them, and like mark said tokyo pop did initial d, i havnt read it, but i heard it sucked because of all the name changes and what not, i have read there cowboy bebop, and i didnt like it that much
Three things.
1. The punctuation other then the comma "," is allowed on this bbs.
2. This is a BBS, not a chat room, you don't have to shorten your words. (prt, iv)
3. Capital letters are your friend.

Franz

It's a dolphin.
So are periods. Watch your run-on sentences. Needs improvement, C-

I believe Dark Horse put out those huge books of Akira manga a few years back too, and I've never heard any complaints on them. I have all faith in Dark Horse. Plus I imagine that Muira (or whoever would be in charge of this) would make sure that there arent any screw ups, etc, seeing how you're supposed to take Berserk more seriously than Initial D.

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
Dark Horse is very good with their releases. I've read several volumes of Blade of the Immortal and at least one of Lone Wolf and Cub. Both were well done.

lye

Nihilist!
Majin Tenshi said:
Three things.
1. The punctuation other then the comma "," is allowed on this bbs.
2. This is a BBS, not a chat room, you don't have to shorten your words. (prt, iv)
3. Capital letters are your friend.
nazi

M

medievald00d

lye said:
You havent figured it out yet? We're all Aryans, thats why we like berserk. It focuses on GERMAN history. Also, we all enjoy shooting jews, political dissidents, and non Aryans... ::)
Get with the program, use your punctuation marks and your capital letters before we send you into a concentration camp.... ::)

will there be showers?(look a question mark!)

You forget zee capital letter!

Get in zee cooler!! (Anyone ever seen The Great Escape?)

Anyways, sorry for that whole Dark Horse TokyoPop misunderstanding, my "bad," as they say. Glad to hear that Dark Horse is reliable, because if they messed up Berserk, I'd simply just have to kill them... kill them all...

Dark Horse is by far the best us manga distributer, they always stay faithful to the creators wishs and the translations are excellent....of course that is studio proteus, there usual translater. Berserk on the other hand is being handeled by digital media or something like that so we'll all be surprised

The Dragon Slayer said:
The only problem, as I posted in another thread, is controversy. I don't know if there has ever been controversy over Berserk in Japan or any other country, but I doubt Miura wolud allow that to happen. 8)

i doubt we have anything to worry about. with the anime easily accessible to children and their ignorant parents in Blockbusters (or similar stores) round the country, 'tards have had enough time to raise hell over it by now. Sure, the anime's not as graphic as the manga, but its taken less for the shit to hit the fan in this country.

number18

a sci-fi bitch
The manga is going to be released, shrinkwrapped with a parental advisory sticker on the baby, much like a couple of more adult TokyoPop releases...though they failed to put a sticker/shrinkwrap on the gay NYC cop love story...har har har.

On a side note, I met the director of the English dub!1!! I should actually post a whole new thread about that...and how we can go about getting a 2nd season of Berserk. :D

Top Bottom