Significance of the name of God in incantations?

Hi there, 'tis my first post here! I figured I'd ask my question here. I was having a review of the manga lately, and here's some stuff that caught my eye.

In episode 198, when Schierke is drawing a pentagram, she chants the following when protecting the group from trolls (using the translation with me currently):

YODO HEGH VAU HEGH

ADONAI TSABAUT

EGHYEH

The first part seems to correspond to Hebrew letters. Yod, heh, vav, heh: YHVH, the holy name of the Judaic God.
In the second part, tsabaut is an altered version of the word Tsavaot. Tsavaot along with Adonai are both other names for the Abrahamic God.
Lastly, eghyeh, much like tsabaut, is an altered version of the word ehyeh, corresponding to what God says in the meeting with Moses (I am that I am)

In episode 209, Schierke calls to the Lord before starting her incantation.

The name YHVH is repeated in episode 208.
On one hand, I thought that the name would be linked to the God that the Holy See worships, but then the Holy See is connected to the God Hand, and it'd really make no sense for a mage to use it since they are actively opposing evil forces. On the other hand, I know everyone here is tired of the constant good God in opposition to the IoE questions, so I'm not gonna suggest anything here... :sweatdrop:

Do you guys think there's any significance behind this? Was Miura just showing off his Kabbalistic knowledge or is there more than meets the eye?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Miura simply took and modified this incantation from the Kabbalah in order to lend the ritual more credibility. In Berserk it's completely divorced from its original meaning (which is clear when reading the story), and therefore there is no special significance to it.

In episode 209, Schierke calls to the Lord before starting her incantation.

She doesn't "call to the Lord", no. You're mistaken with what the monk says.

Top Bottom