Author Topic: The Horror Movie Thread  (Read 10518 times)

Offline GiantSword Mufasa

Re: The Horror Movie Thread
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2016, 07:55:42 PM »
Thanks for that. To me, the way you put it sounds a lot more rewarding of an experience to have had than a casual or the run of the mill horror movie. IT Follows is great too because as much as it's newly made, it's very retro in both soundtrack and plot (back in the day things used to be a lot simpler like the plot in this one). I loved it and re-watched with my brother (who hadn't seen it) just last month.

Man the sound track is so good. I bought it as soon as I left the theater! lol
\[**]/
                     Praise the sun

Offline Tabris

• Of the Interstice
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2016, 03:22:39 PM »
Bone Tomahawk had one of the most insanely brutal death scenes ever made. Pretty awesome movie too.

Also props for It Follows. I watched it a few times last year. Pretty original horror movie, but the style and soundtrack (as said above) were really friggin awesome. Not a perfect horror film, but a damn good one.

Offline Skeleton

• Falconian
  • Of the Nexus
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2017, 06:08:30 AM »
Greetings boys and ghouls! I've got a new group of horror movie reviews to share with you so grab your crotches because I'm going to scare your balls off.

So there's a new Annabelle movie coming out soon. Since I had only seen the first Conjuring film way back when (thought it was meh), I decided to dive back into the series by watching The Conjuring 2 and the first Annabelle.

The Conjuring 2 was pretty bad. The characters were stupid, and there wasn't any weight to anything happening. A ghost literally threatens to kill one of the characters, and there wasn't a single part of me that felt like the character was in danger. There was one cool thing about the first part of the film (the Nun, who's getting its own spinoff movie), but they even ruin that by the end of the film. The scariest part of the film was the limp dick plot twist. And that was only terrifying because it meant the film was going to drag on even longer.

I'm currently watching Annabelle so I guess I shouldn't review it yet, but so far so suck.

I also watched The Midnight Meat Train which I actually really liked. The girlfriend bits were completely unnecessary, but the rest was cool. I liked how, sans one scene, the film is just as gory as the Saw films, but they do it in a more unrealistic (or stylistic) way so it blunts the disgusting aspects. It's a fun popcorn flick.

Yesterday I watched Lights Out which I thought was good and creepy as fuck. Finding out every single detail of the creature's backstory made my horror bone a little flaccid though. I wish they had revealed just enough for us to connect the dots.

So at this point you're probably thinking these reviews really suck. First off, fuck you. And secondly, you're right. All of this was just an excuse to mention the following. . .

It Follows. If you haven't seen it then stop whatever you're doing and go get it right now. I'm dead serious. Drop the lotion, pull up your pants, and watch this film. It's got like a 97% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It's incredible. The plot sucked me in, but the film pulled me out four or five times because I'd think things like "wow this directing is great" and "holy shit this soundtrack is amazing." That's how good it is. Seriously, why the hell are you still reading this?! GO WATCH IT!

Offline IncantatioN

• Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2017, 07:02:56 PM »
Greetings boys and ghouls! I've got a new group of horror movie reviews to share with you so grab your crotches because I'm going to scare your balls off.
:ganishka: That's awesome!

The Conjuring 2 was pretty bad.

I'm currently watching Annabelle so I guess I shouldn't review it yet, but so far so suck.

I also watched The Midnight Meat Train which I actually really liked.

Yesterday I watched Lights Out which I thought was good and creepy as fuck.

It Follows. It's incredible.
Agree with everything you said above.

Skeleton, I recommend you check out The Void (saw this last weekend and was meaning to write about it), Raw, The Wailing (stick till the end), The Eyes Of My Mother, and if you're a Kiyoshi Kurosawa fan - Creepy (to me, it marks his return to form and I finally got to watch it earlier this year ... more of a Thriller though). IT Follows came out last year ... so I'd also recommend Green Room if you haven't seen it yet.
At the end of time, a moment will come when just one man remains. Then the moment will pass. Man will be gone. There will be nothing to show that we were ever here... but stardust.

Offline Skeleton

• Falconian
  • Of the Nexus
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2017, 09:42:34 PM »
Skeleton, I recommend you check out The Void (saw this last weekend and was meaning to write about it), Raw, The Wailing (stick till the end), The Eyes Of My Mother, and if you're a Kiyoshi Kurosawa fan - Creepy (to me, it marks his return to form and I finally got to watch it earlier this year ... more of a Thriller though). IT Follows came out last year ... so I'd also recommend Green Room if you haven't seen it yet.

Thank you for the recommendations, my friend!   I haven't heard of any of those so I'm excited to hunt them down and watch them.  Expect a full report once my mission is complete! :)

Offline Tabris

• Of the Interstice
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2017, 01:02:20 AM »
Really appreciating this thread.

My friends and myself are huge horror fiends. We tend to hunt for the worst, laughably terrible horror and the legitimately unnerving and creepy horror we can find. Few in this thread I've never heard of and will have to check out.

Awesome ~

Offline Skeleton

• Falconian
  • Of the Nexus
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2017, 07:05:50 AM »
Really appreciating this thread.

My friends and myself are huge horror fiends. We tend to hunt for the worst, laughably terrible horror and the legitimately unnerving and creepy horror we can find. Few in this thread I've never heard of and will have to check out.

Awesome ~

Feel free to post in this thread when you watch one you haven't seen yet or just want to talk about one you have! I'd love to see this thread come to life like Frankenstein's monster! :)

So Netflix finally (FINALLY!) added the original A Nightmare On Elm Street to their online service. Man I love that film.  I'm not a big fan of the ending because it doesn't make much sense. I would've preferred the first alternate ending they filmed where the entire film really was just one big dream.

ANoES is a girl's nightmare influenced by the Freddy children's rhyme.  And it blows me away how Wes Craven subtly weaved the rhyme into the film. Take the rhyme's third line (5, 6, grab your crucifix) as an example. Nancy's friend's crucifix is focused on and interacted with a handful of times by Nancy. I really like stuff like that.

Offline Tabris

• Of the Interstice
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2017, 11:48:02 PM »
I definitely will be contributing to this thread in the future hah.

I'll probably be going over to my friends place this weekend or the next and I'll bring up a few movies I've seen in this thread.