Man amputate own arm to survive: true story

Chinmi

The best defense is a good offence!
A male climber in colorado was caught in a rock slide or something of that nature and got his arm pinned . . . he was stranded in the mountains a few days before amputating his own arm with his knife . . . he was found and taken to the hospital where he is now in serious condition.

Full story in this site:

http://www.canoe.com/NewsStand/TorontoSun/News/2003/05/04/79282.html

----------------------------------------------------------
Sounds familar? I think it takes alot of balls to do what he just did. I don't know if I can go though with that if I was put in that situation.

S

SoulCrasher

http://www.karlofgermany.com/Goetz.htm A German knight named Goetz who had an iron prosthetic arm (right hand), which is impressive considering he lived over 500 years ago. Coined the term "kiss my ass" Not that much similarity to Guts outside the name and arm (and attitude), Miura himself said he wasn't the inspiration for Guts. Interesting nonetheless.

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
Gutz said:
Maybe he get the idea from Berserk! ;D, amputate the same left arm to escape death

Guts had to chop several times in the anime ( OUCH) I wonder how many times that stupid mountain climber had to.

LG

Bok Choy

100% Leafy Goodness!
He may be stupid but he's one tough cookie. He had to lay on the mountain for several days trying to free himself. When he couldn't, he cut off his arm without any anesthetic or painkillers. After cutting off his arm, he had to climb down a mountain and call for help... that takes one hell of a will to live. Most people wouldn't have the guts to attempt to hack off their own arm off with a pocket knife. Then again, when your life is in danger, people do pretty desperate things.

Jesus Christ, Guts would be proud... :p

Lliugusamui

around the corner
This guy is amazing. I'm thinking of what should have been his eyes when cutting and climbing down. Hell, he must have shared some "mad gaze" with Guts at this moment, quite frightening !
Guil

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
This thing makes me wonder, what's the safest way to cut off one's own arm? Not that I'd like to do this myself but I'm curious how this guy prevented himself from bleeding to death. Did he perhaps first make sure less blood was flowing through his arm by tying up a piece of cloth very tightly to his upper arm?

Any other suggestions for how to safely cut off your own arm? With details, please.

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
Mizar said:
This thing makes me wonder, what's the safest way to cut off one's own arm? Not that I'd like to do this myself but I'm curious how this guy prevented himself from bleeding to death. Did he perhaps first make sure less blood was flowing through his arm by tying up a piece of cloth very tightly to his upper arm?

Any other suggestions for how to safely cut off your own arm? With details, please.

Yeah, that's what he did. They said he had a tourniquet on his arm when he was found.

Lliugusamui said:
This guy is amazing. I'm thinking of what should have been his eyes when cutting and climbing down. Hell, he must have shared some "mad gaze" with Guts at this moment, quite frightening !
Guil

True, even u could bear the pain (which i think only Gutz would), how r u going to cut through ur bones with a PEN KNIFE? Even u could cut through, it would be slow and messy during the process, that would really inflict excruiating pain and guess wat, he didnt lose conscious! :eek:

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
Gutz said:
True, even u could bear the pain (which i think only Gutz would), how r u going to cut through ur bones with a PEN KNIFE? Even u could cut through, it would be slow and messy during the process, that would really inflict excruiating pain and guess wat, he didnt lose conscious! :eek:

Well, his arm was already pinned by a rock or something, so maybe he already lost all the feeling in his underarm due to the pressure. This would make the cutting a lot less painful. Just think about how it feels if you sleep on your arm all night and suddenly wake up, it feels like your arm has just died, no? You'll notice there's no feeling at all in your arm anymore, you can slam it to a wall or whatever but you won't feel it.

And even if the guy still had some feeling left in his arm he cut off the blood stream to his arm manually anyway by tying something tightly to his upperarm. This also results in loss of feeling in the arm after a while. So pain isn't the real problem here imo, it's much more a psychological barrier one has to cross.

But the biggest problem is like you said; how to cut through the thick bone with such a simple knife? Maybe he tried to brake the bone first making it easier to cut through it?

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
He's even more like Guts since he cut it below the elbow. ;)

Maybe the bone was already smashed since it just got hit with a boulder. Or he could've chipped and hacked at it (although unlikely).

Mizar said:
Maybe he tried to brake the bone first making it easier to cut through it?

Wow, a really bloody sight, not many ppl can stand this kind of bloody scene, especially it is ur own amputation! Surprising he didnt lose conscious

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
I knew someone would post about this on here!

I heard on the news that he broke the bones by rotating his arm back and forth until they snapped. Then he cut through the flesh with what was described as a "dull" pocketknife. Yum.

Top Bottom