Oscar awards and Anime

Chinmi

The best defense is a good offence!
With this new animated feature award, I was wondering how come Final Fantasy and other animes weren't included?

Final Fantasy set the standard for computer animation. And the animes are ahead of its time interms of quality and detail compare to Disney. I think the judges are biased to japanese animation.

Chinmi

True, I have to agree you with that one but it should atleast be nomminated for the technical quality.

CnC

Ad Oculos
They musta got thru about 90% of Final Fantasy before they realized they needed a script.

...beautiful, but one of the worst movies i've ever watched...

Yes, FF did advance the field, but the fact that it was not nominated is great because now, maybe, they'll realize that a good movie needs a plot.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I’m glad Square choked on that 90 minute FMV cut scene they put out. They had a grand opportunity to create something like nobodies had ever seen before; instead, they made a bad Sci-fi flick that could have easily been done with live actors and real sets, for cheaper too, BLAARGH!!!

-Griffith

P.S. They should have perfectly recreated Clerks using only CGI for over $100 million, now that's a funny idea.

CnC

Ad Oculos
It's too late for that. Square won't do another CG motion picture anytime soon. ^^;

and with good reason, sqaure invested so much into this movie that sony bought up a part of them when the movie flopped...
Thanks to Shrek, which was nominated, which brought faith back into the CG movie.

So basically olivier, what i meant was if ANY company decides to do a beatiful movie like final fantasy again... they best start with the basics... a good story.

kameshell

trying is the first step towards failure
funny you mention square's fmv clip. because two years ago abe's odessy fmv clips were put together and submitted to the academy. of course it wasn't nomineed, thank god.

to have your things reviewed by the academy, you have to submit your things. my animation teacher submitted one of his works to the academys. didn't picked either.

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
I’m glad Square choked on that 90 minute FMV cut scene they put out.  They had a grand opportunity to create something like nobodies had ever seen before; instead, they made a bad Sci-fi flick that could have easily been done with live actors and real sets, for cheaper too, BLAARGH!!!

-Griffith

P.S. They should have perfectly recreated Clerks using only CGI for over $100 million, now that's a funny idea.

They choked because they wanted to make a movie that they THOUGHT would appeal to the western audience. You can barely call it FF. The only stand out thing was the fact they had James Woods in the movie. ;D

Chinmi

5 years of hard work that went straight to hell. Its sad. I think if the company weren't in a bad finacial situation, Square pictures have the potential to make more entertaining movies.

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
i can't imagine how this could happen (refering to the move). i really expected a story that would match up with the storylines of the computer game. sad thing.

shrek was really cool!

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Can't pass much comment on this, other than I thought the film was a bit naff. Anime's like Cowboy Bebop for example or films like Perfect Blue should get a mention. Princess Mononoke was only just knocked off the top spot by Titanic.. just thought I would input the DVD content....

sorry. :-/

aelka

*gasp* you know how hot I am? *no.*
I never watched FF before, but I heard it sucks from everyone. I don't know how bad a movie can be in order to get less than 1 star in Toronto Sun...and I guess they thought bullshit and cheesy flicks can pull through in the american industry. The great fall...I don't know. There are a LOT of bullshit movie in America that pulled through. So...

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
For me only one animated movie deserved to get oscar recognition and that's Jin Roh. It should have been nominated. I cannot say enough great things about it. It set a new viewing standard for me. I consider it one of the greatest movies ever. If anything should have been nominated for best animated feature (if not best feature period) it should have been Jin Roh. I can't wait to see the special edition version of the DVD which come out this week! I can't wait. Jin Roh makes Grave of the fire flies look like just another tragic movie. I'm so glad I have the doll!!!  ;D

Top Bottom