Author Topic: Episode 223  (Read 63620 times)

Offline Uriel

• 天下無敵者
  • Of the Abyss
  • This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Re:Episode 223
« Reply #175 on: July 02, 2003, 11:44:00 PM »
Thinking about the Golem's... if they continue to move, then surely that must mean Flora is alive to control them, right?

Offline xechnao

• The Board's Troll Boy
  • Of the Vortex
« Reply #176 on: July 02, 2003, 11:45:15 PM »
No. If flora dies the protections on the mark of sacrifice won't last out, neither the armour's special bonuses should.
And the game plays on people's backs and they don't even have a clue about it, wasting their energy because their attention is distracted by the rulers' game itself.
Pay attention people. Watch your back!

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #177 on: July 03, 2003, 12:10:00 AM »
The protection of the mark is Schierke's doing, not Flora's, and Slann already wiped Guts' one.

And so far we don't know if the armor has "special bonuses" other than the talisman carved in it, which will obviously last after Flora's death anyway since she knew she was about to die a long time before she met Guts.

Offline xechnao

• The Board's Troll Boy
  • Of the Vortex
« Reply #178 on: July 03, 2003, 12:50:55 AM »
The protection of the mark is Schierke's doing, not Flora's, and Slann already wiped Guts' one.

And so far we don't know if the armor has "special bonuses" other than the talisman carved in it, which will obviously last after Flora's death anyway since she knew she was about to die a long time before she met Guts.

The argument was about golemns though.
And the game plays on people's backs and they don't even have a clue about it, wasting their energy because their attention is distracted by the rulers' game itself.

Offline Wereallmad

• Of the Nexus
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #179 on: July 03, 2003, 01:26:18 AM »
Ah, it worked, thanks mizar.

Anyway, it probably wasn't worth the effort since you can just read the Japanese off the scans, but I felt it was important, especially since my translation is pretty damn, er, 'rough'. I'll translate the rest later if someone who doesn't really know japanese wont do it.

page 14
Grunbeld: この者の相手

このグルンベルドにお任せ頂きたい
This aquiantance (really don't know the proper translation, I think he means Guts) of yours (referring to zodd), let me take care of it/him.

Guts: 巨人...!!??
A giant!!??

Zoddo: グルンベルド...

フ フ

良かろう

かたじけない

Grunbeld.....

heh heh

As you wish

I'm in your debt (or maybe he's saying Grunbeld is in HIS debt, like "you owe me", I'm not sure
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 01:31:49 AM by Wereallmad »

Offline puella

• Gourmet Elf
  • Of the Abyss
  • Popopopopopopopo!
« Reply #180 on: July 03, 2003, 02:14:25 AM »
The argument was about golemns though.

Then what's this?  ::)
No. If flora dies the protections on the mark of sacrifice won't last out, neither the armour's special bonuses should.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 02:15:02 AM by puella »

Offline roberto999

• Of the Nexus
  • The Black Chick of Darkness
« Reply #181 on: July 03, 2003, 02:43:04 AM »
Thinking about the Golem's... if they continue to move, then surely that must mean Flora is alive to control them, right?
And where did we see them move in THIS issue? Last we did see them was in issue 222
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 08:00:55 PM by roberto999 »
Hey I am reborn

Offline Saiki

• Saik!
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #182 on: July 03, 2003, 04:29:22 AM »
Since everyone wants to know what the chit-chat on page 14 is about, I'll just quickly write whats going on.

Grunbeld - I would like you to let me be this one's opponent
Guts - "A giant...!!?"
Zodd - Grunbeld...hmph, very well
Grunbeld - I thank you
Grunbeld - I have heard about you. The black knight who hunts the apostle's. Even though you are human, you were able to survive the eclipse.
Grunbeld - Whatever kind of witch she may be, to attack an old one living in these peaceful woods with such a great number is far from an honorable thing for a warrior to do. But to prove my loyaty to the hawk, I asked that I be allowed to be assigned to this mission...

end of page 14

Anyways, it's pretty obvious that Grunbeld is not an apostle. An apostle would've said something like "we apostles", but he just said apostles.

Offline The Perineum Falcon

• Slightly Green, all Ranemaka
  • Of the Vortex
« Reply #183 on: July 03, 2003, 04:32:20 AM »
wow, that mustve been easy for you to do. how bout the rest, bud  ;D
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #184 on: July 03, 2003, 04:33:07 AM »
Anyways, it's pretty obvious that Grunbeld is not an apostle. An apostle would've said something like "we apostles", but he just said apostles.
Thanks for the much needed translation.  But... sorry, the above is just not enough confirmation for me. He'll be an apostle in my book until it's made more clear.

Offline theblakeman

• Of the Interstice
  • theblakeman- your local pervert
« Reply #185 on: July 03, 2003, 04:41:35 AM »
Grunbeld seems like a good guy (a good guy as in honorable, not as in one of the good buys ;p) and I think that he will not be all brutal with Guts

Offline Smith

« Reply #186 on: July 03, 2003, 06:40:01 AM »
Grunbeld seems like a good guy (a good guy as in honorable, not as in one of the good buys ;p) and I think that he will not be all brutal with Guts

Maybe u mean he is not despicable, i dun think he is a good kind-hearted person either. He may try to be honourable by trying to defend helping people etc.

Secondly, i seriously dun think he will be gentle, dun forget Guts was hawk's enemies!

In the battle between Guts and Grunbeld, i really dun see any great chance that Guts will win, Grunbeld look too overwhelming...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 12:42:32 PM by Smith »
It piss me off when I see weaklings, it make me want to crush them

Offline Uriel

• 天下無敵者
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #187 on: July 03, 2003, 06:43:35 AM »
Thanks for the translation for that Saiki, and like Ranemaka says, how bout the rest ;D I believe that Grenbeld is an apostle, because page 16 shows Guts brand still bleeding. However, would Guts of said "A giant?" if he didn't know he was an apostle?

And where did we see them move in THIS issue? Last we did see them was issue 222

It was a semi-speculation for future chapters.

Offline xechnao

• The Board's Troll Boy
  • Of the Vortex
« Reply #188 on: July 03, 2003, 07:00:42 AM »
Thanks for the translation for that Saiki, and like Ranemaka says, how bout the rest ;D I believe that Grenbeld is an apostle, because page 16 shows Guts brand still bleeding. However, would Guts of said "A giant?" if he didn't know he was an apostle?It was a semi-speculation for future chapters.

Guts says "a giant?" because he is big. What would he say?: "A big man?"

Offline Smith

« Reply #189 on: July 03, 2003, 07:08:22 AM »
because page 16 shows Guts brand still bleeding.

Dun forget there is still Zodd and other apostles around, so not a good evidence to assume Grunbeld is an apostle

*400th post*
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 07:09:05 AM by Smith »

Offline xechnao

• The Board's Troll Boy
  • Of the Vortex
« Reply #190 on: July 03, 2003, 07:16:23 AM »
By the way I don't think Grunbeld's transformer has any wings or is able to fly. If so he could make Griffis' taxi very well at his reincarnation's first days but he doesn't even show up. Zodd shows up obviously because he can be an airoplane and can get to know all the great happenings due to his traveling possibility.
By the way Zodd is the only apostle we have info he lives an extended period of time. Maybe, I say maybe he is unique to this Nosferatu ability but then why, if so?

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #191 on: July 03, 2003, 07:27:29 AM »
I don't think the brand bleeding means all that much considering Zoddo and his Apostle buddies are standing no more than five feet in front of Guts. It was also bleeding long before he got to the house. And even if Grunbeld causes the brand to bleed, that only proves he's spiritually akin to Apostles. However, I don't agree with Saiki that Grunbeld's choice of words necessarily rules him out as an Apostle (unless he understands something from the context of the Japanese that wouldn't come through in a direct English translation?). Though, the possibilities do excite me; Miura's expanded the Berserk universe immensely since  Millennium Falcon began and these "beyond Apostles" would certainly fit that trend.

And boy, he sure is tall, hyuck!

-Griffith

P.S. Whatever he is, I really do hope I get to see Miura draw a badass looking dragon somewhere down the line.

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #192 on: July 03, 2003, 08:04:37 AM »

*400th post*
Maybe you'll shut up now to commemorate this great event?

Offline Mage

« Reply #193 on: July 03, 2003, 10:39:49 AM »
-

Offline Uriel

• 天下無敵者
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #194 on: July 03, 2003, 12:11:15 PM »
Preach it.

Offline xechnao

• The Board's Troll Boy
  • Of the Vortex
« Reply #195 on: July 03, 2003, 12:17:22 PM »
Preach it.

And your next post is for you too.

Offline Smith

« Reply #196 on: July 03, 2003, 12:33:21 PM »

I will, by not by shutting up my mouth  ;D

Look like walter is always going against me...  8)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 12:36:42 PM by Smith »

Offline Wereallmad

• Of the Nexus
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #197 on: July 03, 2003, 01:30:17 PM »
Guts says "a giant?" because he is big. What would he say?: "A big man?"

Technically that IS what he says. The kanji for big (giant), and the kanji for man side by side. You could even translate it as "a great man", though it's obvious what Guts is referring to.

However, I don't agree with Saiki that Grunbeld's choice of words necessarily rules him out as an Apostle (unless he understands something from the context of the Japanese that wouldn't come through in a direct English translation?)

I'm too lazy to look right now, but there are specific ways you reffer to your affiliation/in-group when speaking about them in Japanese. It's possible he spoke of them as if he were outside of that group.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 01:36:55 PM by Wereallmad »

Offline Mizar

• Of the Nexus
  • 見猿聞か猿言わ猿
« Reply #198 on: July 03, 2003, 02:18:07 PM »
I'm too lazy to look right now, but there are specific ways you reffer to your affiliation/in-group when speaking about them in Japanese. It's possible he spoke of them as if he were outside of that group.

Not in this case, Grunbeld is just generally talking about "The Black Swordsman who hunts down (the) apostles". That's simply what Grunbeld has heard about Guts. It doesn't imply anything about Grunbeld himself, in my opinion.

Offline Saiki

• Saik!
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #199 on: July 03, 2003, 03:34:52 PM »
The reason I say that it's enough proof that Grunbeld is not an apostle is the way he is saying it.
If he were an apostle, he should've said it in the lines of
"Warera Shito wo katte mawarukuroi kenshi."
which means
"The blackswordsman who hunts us apostle's down."
But he just said, "The blackswordsman who hunts apostle's down."

Although Zodd says something similar in vol22 so Grunbeld just might be something like Zodd. I'm just hoping that Grunbeld is something different. ;D