Legality of Alcohol vs Illegal Drugs

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
I'm wondering what all of your guys think about this. Alcohol for that matter have caused every bit as much misery, death, addiction, and ripped apart families just as drugs have. Yet it's perfectly legal to buy it anywhere and everywhere just about.

Is it because alcohol is obviously the more socially acceptable form of partying BECAUSE it's legal? Versus the illegality of drugs including marijuana ( which in my opinion should be legalized. Recently it became a valuable cash crop for an impoverished African country and probably their only cash crop, and the US decided to step in and ask that their government 'severely punish' the farmers who grew the hemp)?

If you were at a party, you'd most likely see people drinking. But if someone whipped out a line of cocaine or started smoking crack, I don't think that would be looked upon as favorably as drinking beer or Jack Daniels.

Could it be that drugs are 'more addictive' than alcohol?

Do yo think marijuana should be legalized?

Thoughts?

M

medievald00d

i just have to put tis out...do you live in nevada? ya know...land of legalized prostitution, booze and las vegas?

as to my thoughts...Drugs may be the valuable cash crop of african and arab nations, but keep in mind that these african and arab nations also contain many radicalist movements, and some of these countries are controlled by anti american terrorist supporting groups. (Taliban anyone?)

Also, i think that alcohol should be illegal as well. I think the only reason why alcohol is socially acceptable is because so many other countries in the world consider alcohol as part of their religion, family tradition, etc.

Likewise, it is legal for some Native American tribes to smoke a form of poppy (opium) for spiritual purposes.

Another reason why drugs are illegal are because of the methods of transport. You have no idea where those drugs came from, the quality of the drugs, who had to die for those drugs, all so that you could pay up the ass to get high...

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Booze has tradition on it's side, it goes back to the Bible. That's why it's not going anywhere while less harmful drugs aren't getting any closer to legal. As "Fast" Eddie said, "...it just seems more human." I agree with this sentiment, but as for other drugs, I think they should be legalized as well, it would really help the economy and I don't care what poison people prefer. As far as someone pulling out crack or cocaine at the party, hell yeah they're different than a social drinker. You already know they're fucked up.

Let's not forget smoking.

-Griffith

Alcohol is the same as every other drug. People use alcohol just like they use any other drug. The difference is the magnitude of the effects. Alcohol seems to be legal because it seems to be able to yeild the effect in the most effective proportions. Pot is illegal because the people who make the laws dont want to admit that taking a hit is the same thing as taking a shot.

As for the legality of it, who gives a shit. If you are trying to poison yourself with just the right amount, whos cares what you poison yourself with.

On a side note, I do find it hilarious how a person can get alcohol poisoning and life the next day goes on normally, but if a person OD's on heroin its suddenly something so serious. College is beautiful

GreatDoobieMan

I CANT FEEL MY FACE!
pheonixfenix said:
i just have to put tis out...do you live in nevada? ya know...land of legalized prostitution, booze and las vegas?

IM from Nevada and im so for pot being legalized. i hate drinking booze but i can smoke like a champ. pot is alot less dangerous than alcohol. look at a very drunk person to a very stoned person... i stoned person will just sit there and eat junk food or listen and get lost in to a good song but drunk people will get very active want to move around act stupid and stumble around hurting himself or others and for who ever said when we buy pot we support terrorist groups i just have to say thats a bunch of bull crap because shit ether i grow my own or i buy it from someone that grew it personaly, i know would lower my self to buy that bricked crap because it tastes like horse shit. ;)

M

medievald00d

crack and opium...

A lot of marijuana is homegrown, but most other drugs are through criminal organizations

http://www.sciencedaily.com/encyclopedia/Illegal_drug_trade

SexyCharlotte

pheonixfenix said:

Yes. But I don't see anything wrong with the legalized prostitution. I don't drink. I actually can't drink...can't metabolize the alcohol. I don't give a damn if others want to drink. My point is...what's the difference between a recreational drug user and a social drinker?

SexyCharlotte

Griffith said:
Booze has tradition on it's side, it goes back to the Bible. That's why it's not going anywhere while less harmful drugs aren't getting any closer to legal. As "Fast" Eddie said, "...it just seems more human." I agree with this sentiment, but as for other drugs, I think they should be legalized as well, it would really help the economy and I don't care what poison people prefer. As far as someone pulling out crack or cocaine at the party, hell yeah they're different than a social drinker. You already know they're fucked up.

Let's not forget smoking.

-Griffith

So you're saying if someone wants to do the occasional line of coke they're fucked up? I don't see the difference there between someone coming home to do a line of coke to get relief from the workday versus someone sitting down and relaxing with a drink to work off the stress of the day.

I should have rephrased my statement to : what's the difference between social drinking and recreational drug use? To take a hit of ecstasy or line of coke socially, at a rave or party, versus drinking?

SexyCharlotte

Of course there's legal drug abuse

elhinnaw said:
As for the legality of it, who gives a shit. If you are trying to poison yourself with just the right amount, whos cares what you poison yourself with.

On a side note, I do find it hilarious how a person can get alcohol poisoning and life the next day goes on normally, but if a person OD's on heroin its suddenly something so serious. College is beautiful

Well heroin has always been seen as this skid row drug, plus the whole AIDS/ HIV thing...same thing with crack.

But then when you think about how many legal prescriptions people abuse...oxycontin, ritalin, adderall, vicodins...ugh.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Lady Sexy Charlotte said:
So you're saying if someone wants to do the occasional line of coke they're fucked up? I don't see the difference there between someone coming home to do a line of coke to get relief from the workday versus someone sitting down and relaxing with a drink to work off the stress of the day.

Well, I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. I personally like to inject heroin directly into my scrotum to unwind after a hard day at the office. Maybe I'll switch to Miller Lite?

Lady Sexy Charlotte said:
I should have rephrased my statement to : what's the difference between social drinking and recreational drug use? To take a hit of ecstasy or line of coke socially, at a rave or party, versus drinking?

That's a different story, and a different kind of party. Sure, it's possible for people to do that without it forming into habit or full blown addition. But, I don't know too many friends that are "casual" hardcore drug users.

"I only shoot up after sex and watching wrestling"

Most of them are fucked up until death or rehab and the one's that aren't and are just using weed, booze, shrooms and acid are smart enough to stay away from that kind of shit 'cause even they realize it fucks you up. Evryone's different though.

-Griffith

P.S. I meant to write "addiction" above, but I like the idea of powerful drugs leading to full blown math problems, so it stays. :)

SexyCharlotte

Drugs affect everyone differently I guess, and some people have addictive personalities. I can't say everyone I have known who used drugs recreationally didn't get addicted or fucked up by it, but then again I also knew a lot of problem drinkers as well. So to me it's pretty much all the same. People use alcohol and drugs as recreation, to relieve stress, or for fun. One is just more expensive than the other.I've been at parties where people have been drunk and high or both. I've also known people who would come home from work and pour a martini and some who also would smoke some weed or take a line of coke.

Unfortunately I can't say I know any 'recreational' heroin users as they are probably all dead.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I was a heavy-ish drinker at 14, quit drinking at 17 and became legal one year later. The law's really don't matter.

As for drugs, they shouldn't ever be legal. Everyone who does them wants them to be legal, but if they were, half of them wouldn't bother to do it.

I smoke weed to get high and relieve stress. I live here in LA the school that I went to 50% of that scholl were smoking weed it's not really a big deal here. I laugh my ass off when I see those cormecial about marijuana screwing your life when in fact that's BS.

Here's one cormecial that blames marijuana A little kid is left alone near the pool while the person who's taking care of the kid is getting high WTF doesn't this apply with going out and smoking a cigar or watching tv or taking a dump and leaving the kid alone it wasn't because of marijuana it was the person who taking care of the kid left him alone near the pool. If liquor is legal why can't marijuana be also be legal it's not harmful to the person getting high.

SexyCharlotte

Uriel said:
I was a heavy-ish drinker at 14, quit drinking at 17 and became legal one year later. The law's really don't matter.

As for drugs, they shouldn't ever be legal. Everyone who does them wants them to be legal, but if they were, half of them wouldn't bother to do it.

I don't smoke pot and I think it should be legal, especially for those people who need it for medical reasons.

Alcohol and drugs are very different, as the various drugs among them also are.
Another factor of variability to their effects are special conditions of organism and dose.
However, you better not make your conclusions on drug effects by your personal experiences with people around you but consult medical info(and see the statistical data) also because there are so many long run effects or side-effects that become visible after some time or don't become visible at all.

SexyCharlotte

xechnao said:
Alcohol and drugs are very different, as the various drugs among them also are.
Another factor of variability to their effects are special conditions of organism and dose.
However, you better not make your conclusions on drug effects by your personal experiences with people around you but consult medical info(and see the statistical data) also because there are so many long run effects or side-effects that become visible after some time or don't become visible at all.

Well the reason I posted was I always found it interesting how people would say things like, " Well I drink but I'd never do drugs," and then get shit-faced and go out driving drunk. What is the point of saying you'd 'never do drugs' because you think it's bad, versus going out and getting wasted drinking and possibly causing an accident and killing someone?

Or when people say " Well I'd did/do coke, but I'd never do heroin." I guess there's always going to be this mentality that someone doing a certain drug isn't as 'bad' as another drug.

I've known people who have messed up their lives with all kinds of substances, from alcohol to drugs...from a cousin who died trying heroin the first time around, to a friend who was killed in a drunk driving accident...and then some friends who recreationally smoked weed/did coke, and were social drinkers to no ill effects. I'm just trying to figure out why alcohol seems to be more socially acceptable than drugs.

M

medievald00d

well, personally, i never plan to drink, do drugs, smoke, get tattoos, or get piercings. I like the idea that 20 years down the road, i wont regret wasting my time with that crap.

Btw, with the exception of homegrown drugs, alcohol, and ciggarettes, you dont know the concentration of the stuff your taking. The stuff is literally poison; one drop of pure nicotine in your system will kill you in minutes. Thats why some people live after taking their first bit of extacy, and some people die (that, and impurities in the pill and massive allergic reactions...).

Anyways, they havent legalized suicide. I dont see why they should legalize poison.

SexyCharlotte

pheonixfenix said:
well, personally, i never plan to drink, do drugs, smoke, get tattoos, or get piercings. I like the idea that 20 years down the road, i wont regret wasting my time with that crap.

Btw, with the exception of homegrown drugs, alcohol, and ciggarettes, you dont know the concentration of the stuff your taking. The stuff is literally poison; one drop of pure nicotine in your system will kill you in minutes. Thats why some people live after taking their first bit of extacy, and some people die (that, and impurities in the pill and massive allergic reactions...).

Anyways, they havent legalized suicide. I dont see why they should legalize poison.

Cigarettes then by that token are literally poison...I can't believe that people sued the tobacco companies in the first place. How can anyone believe that smoking something that smells that awful NOT be detrimental in the first place?

weed is definitely less harmful physically, if i have to go for a run the next day after being really high or drinking hard guess which im choosing?

think of all the people that have done crimes when they are drunk, it happens all the time all over the world, but who goes around mashed and causing much trouble, well i dont know about you but i would be way to paranoid and relaxed to consider it for a second.

however i think mary jane can be easier to get hooked on for a regular basis, alcohol is legal and i dont know too many people who drink everyday, but i know alot of people who have gone through smoke everyday. like zanza said, people are different, some people can be bliss in such a life style, however some people close to me became quiet addicted and a change in personality was very noticable, but it just depends on the person.

having said that i dont think it is ever recorded of anyone dying of pot overdose, but alcohol od happens all the time

they say weed is a gateway drug and use that as an excuse for being evil but i dont see how it could be any less then alcohol, not being totally conscious is the same anywhere, so people could easily blame weed for trying harder things but im sure at least just as high percentage have tried alcohol before getting onto harder shit.

weed funding anti american terrorist organisations? (propaganda anyone?)

Sparnage said:
weed is definitely less harmful physically, if i have to go for a run the next day after being really high or drinking hard guess which im choosing?

think of all the people that have done crimes when they are drunk, it happens all the time all over the world, but who goes around mashed and causing much trouble, well i dont know about you but i would be way to paranoid and relaxed to consider it for a second.

however i think mary jane can be easier to get hooked on for a regular basis, alcohol is legal and i dont know too many people who drink everyday, but i know alot of people who have gone through smoke everyday. like zanza said, people are different, some people can be bliss in such a life style, however some people close to me became quiet addicted and a change in personality was very noticable, but it just depends on the person.

having said that i dont think it is ever recorded of anyone dying of pot overdose, but alcohol od happens all the time

they say weed is a gateway drug and use that as an excuse for being evil but i dont see how it could be any less then alcohol, not being totally conscious is the same anywhere, so people could easily blame weed for trying harder things but im sure at least just as high percentage have tried alcohol before getting onto harder shit.

weed funding anti american terrorist organisations? (propaganda anyone?)

I don't believe Marijuana is a gateway to other drugs. Me and my friends won't do other drugs that fucks us up ecstacy,cocaine,crack etc I don't think marijuana is addicting I've gone without smoking it for 5 months now and my other frineds some even gone longer than that.

Kart

Resident /b/tard
Alcohol is a gateway drug, it is legal, but still a drug, anyway, I never even thought of trying weed til I downed quarter bottle of hennasay then I went and took a toke, now I want to say, that i enjoyed weed much more then the alcohol, weed didn't make me puke, cough, or feel bad.

Alcohol makes people violent, weed makes them mellow, there's no problem with it, but there are alot of bad things that fuck peoples lives, but weed is not one of them, alcohol is.

Personally I believe all recreational, mind-altering substances should be banned. Sure, maybe the majority of people can handle them responsibly, but there are always stupid fucks who cause more harm than it's worth. People are killed because of alcohol related accidents, assaults, etc. This is a little utilitarian, but I don't think any amount of simple, selfish bodily pleasure is worth that. If all drugs' effects were limited to the person using them, I wouldn't give a shit, they can kill themselves for all I care. But the effects impact everyone around them, and on a social level, they bring down the standards of good/moral values (i.e., excessive pleasure seeking as opposed to working/studying/helping others/etc.) Banning all mind-altering substances (for recreational uses) is completely unrealistic, though. We've already seen how americans tolerate prohibition. Too many people are weak, their grandest goal in life being mere self-gratification (or too low on the social rung to care about progress).

Kart

Resident /b/tard
damn you, I hate, yet love people like you...

You're correct on so many levels, yet i don't think weed should be illegal, i think alcohol should, because I think people on weed can act alot more responsible then people on alcohol, not in all cases though, so you are correct, especially in the fact it lowers social standards, although I believe people should be able to lower themselves into any depth they want, except i don't think they should be able to bring this onto other people, those who do not achive try to keep others from achiving...

this is only half a thought though, give me some time more will come.

Top Bottom