Anybody see this particular anime?

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
I rented this anime, GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, a few days ago.

It was one of the most poignant and heart wrenching anime I've ever seen. ( Basic spoilers ahead) It was about the last days of World War II in Japan and how it affected a young boy and his little sister.

If any of you have seen this, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, and you're into stories that are simple but intense, you must definitely rent or buy this.

Still have a few tears in my eyes after seeing this.

LC

Bok Choy

100% Leafy Goodness!
I have the DVD... it's a great movie but not as heart-wrenching as I thought it would be.

I really love the introduction sequence and ending of the movie though. It ranks up there with Rurouni Kenshin OVA in terms of emotional impact.

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
Grave of the Fireflies is a wonderful movie, sad (understatement) but still a great work.

Also, the only movie, before or since, that made me cry.

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
If you like this movie, let me suggest the movie Jin Roh: the Wolf Brigade. Also an (anime) masterpiece.

Kakkoii_Guts

海賊王になる男だ
I would have to disagree with Jin Roh as well. Although I did like the movie. I just didn't think it to be a masterpiece. ;)

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
Well, to be honest Grave of the Fireflies isn't exactly a masterpiece either, imo. But hey, both movies have a similar dark and depressing style, which I like. I personally liked Jin Roh as a movie better though, since it's a more subtle and metaphorical piece. Grave of the Fireflies is rather straightforward and predictable, but at the same time it is a very intense and emotionally draining experience as well. That alone makes it a good movie for me, but hardly a masterpiece, though.

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
I wouldn't say masterpiece, but I would definitely rank it up there with one of the best of the older anime. Sky Traveller told me about another movie called BAREFOOT GEN about the bombing of Hiroshima/Nagasaki. I want to check this out. Again, an older anime.

Lauralana

That's Hot
hey anyone know anything about that weird anime that comes on MTV2 all the time? About the guy with the lip ring, some blond guy, and someone named Jay?

I swear....everytime i flip the channel.....

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
Lauralana said:
hey anyone know anything about that weird anime that comes on MTV2 all the time? About the guy with the lip ring, some blond guy, and someone named Jay?

Heatguy j

chugoku sensei

Too good!
Barefoot Gen is amazing. I read the first couple of volumes. What a story. I didn't like grave of fireflies as much as jin roh, for some reason. Mebbe because I am a graphics-whore, and like the prettier pictures.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Olivier Hague said:
Rotoscoping?

For most of the movie, they traced video of actors to create the animation. Disney did it all the time in their early films, like Snow White. I'm just not a big fan of rotoscoping; it kind of cheapens the art form for me.

kimchan

Lauralana said:

Heatguy J. I've seen it on MTV a few times when channel flipping.

The only anime I ever saw on MTV2 was when they showed "Beyond" from The Animatrix.

Lauralana

That's Hot
kimchan said:
Heatguy J. I've seen it on MTV a few times when channel flipping.

The only anime I ever saw on MTV2 was when they showed "Beyond" from The Animatrix.

ok thanks...but here's another question....is it worth watching?

like what is it about?

kimchan

Lauralana said:
ok thanks...but here's another question....is it worth watching?

like what is it about?

I only watched the opening credits so I don't know much about it. Something about androids/cyborgs/whatever being illegal and Heatguy is some legendery android guy on the police force. I think you'd get better explanations off of the video packaging than from me though. ^^;;

RAmpaGE

Working my ass off to save the world or die trying
Grave of the Fireflies (Hotaru no Haka). Damn. I downloaded this and watched it in an afternoon when I had nothing else to do. During the movie, all I could do was keep my eyes wide open, kinda wondering "is this really an anime"? It sure isn't an typical one. Anyway, I keep in my computer every single thing that touches me somehow ('cause, honestly, I'm a cold bastard. It takes a lot to get me away from reason and into the emotion realm). But I couldn't keep Hotaru no Haka. My excuse was "I won't be able to trade this with anyone, so why waste the hd space?", but what really made me delete it was: "I will never want to see this again. I don't ever want to feel that way. And I'll never be able to forget it, anyway".

This is a disturbing movie, one that surprises you for being so freaking crude. They don't hold anything back, and respect your inteligence. I didn't liked it (how the hell could I??), but I can't deny that whom ever was responsible for this picture accomplished what they wanted, at least with me and my brother (he watched it with me): Hotaru no Haka is painfully unforgettable.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
kimchan said:
I only watched the opening credits so I don't know much about it. Something about androids/cyborgs/whatever being illegal and Heatguy is some legendery android guy on the police force. I think you'd get better explanations off of the video packaging than from me though. ^^;;

This Heatguy J sounds like a rip off of Armitage :p

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
This Heatguy J sounds like a rip off of Armitage :p

Not from what I hear. The series is about the main characters trying to take down the sindicate and criminals.

Heres the first DVD vol review for the series read the content part of the review.

http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/2119.php

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
The screenplay for Grave of the Fireflies was written by Isao Takahata, in case anyone wanted to know. He's a life-long collaborator of Hayao Miyazaki.

Top Bottom