Howl's Moving Castle

Miyazaki's Moving Castle
A look at the renowned anime director's next.

Director Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service) has come out of retirement (again) to direct Howl's Moving Castle, his ninth anime feature.

The film is loosely based on book by Diana Wynne Jones. It centers around Sophie, a young girl who lives with her stepmother and stepsisters. The girl crosses paths with an evil sorceress who casts a spell that turns her into an old woman. Forced to leave her family, Sophie takes refuge in an moving castle – it actually walks upright – and sets out to find a way of breaking the curse. The castle belongs to Howl, a wizard with a penchant for pretty girls. The castle is powered by Calcifer, a fire demon who lives in its hearth who is bound by a contract with Howl. He makes a secret deal with Sophie... he'll free her from the curse if she can find a way to break the contract.

Naturally, the animation is just as trippy as the story... There's an extremely short clip online over at Online Ghibli that's worth checking out if you're a fan.

Miyazaki, who has flirted with retirement often in the last several years, stepped in to direct the film when original helmer Mamoru Hosoda (Digimon) departed the project - Studio Ghibli bosses were apparently unhappy with his work.

Check out the excellent Miyazaki resource site, Nausicaa.net, for more.

Howl's Moving Castle is expected to arrive in Japanese theaters this fall.

howl_watercolor.jpg

-------
who else is stoked about this?!

(i just realized ive used 'stoked' two times in just as many days. im like a surfer without the waves.... :-\)

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
Whoa.

Oh, and if it helps you deal with your waveless state, I'm stoked too, and landlocked.

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
That's pretty awesome

Here's hoping I'm not as dissapointed as I was with "Spirited Away"...

In my opinion the best Miyazaki movie thus far has been "Princess Mononoke" maybe I just felt like the others were to childish for me or something, which doesn't make sense because I usually don't have a problem with movie's geared at younger audiences...

*shrugs* Whatever heres hoping this flick is awesome!

Isn't that the same exact info from ign.com?

But yeah I'm looking forward to seeing that movie. Princess Mononoke is my favirote movie from Miyazaki.

Miyu

I'm smiling on the inside.
ranemaka13 said:
Totoro's where it's at, Bitches!!! 8)

Don't you forget Nausicca. Classic! ;D

But I'm also excited about the new movie. Hoping that a US release will come in the future after it's released in Japan.

Miyu said:
Don't you forget Nausicca. Classic! ;D

But I'm also excited about the new movie. Hoping that a US release will come in the future after it's released in Japan.
im pretty sure Miramax'll pick it up.

Top Bottom