Mortal Kombat "Deception"

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
I was only a big MK "fan" until the 3rd one came out... then the PS2 version, was quite interesting... This new one, well it looks promising. For those who haved not seen the preview and it's new interesting features...
http://www.mkdeception.midway.com/comingsoon.php

coments?

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Indeed... the "online" feature is quite mind-blowing... well at least for me, years back, this was only a dream 8)

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Denial said:
Looks like they're keeping up the tradition by having poor graphics. Hope they bring back the bad gameplay too.
What bad graphics are you talking about?
From what I've seen, graphics seem very well done. And as for the bad gameplay, you shouldn't play it if you don't like fighting games, simple as that. Please understand that there are people who enjoy fighting Games.

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
Headless_Death said:
From what I've seen,  graphics seem very well done.  And as for the bad gameplay,  you shouldn't play it if you don't like fighting games, simple as that.  Please understand that there are people who enjoy fighting Games.
Oh no, fighting games are good... just not Mortal Kombat ones.

Maybe back in the day when gore was the hot thing.

Now they just have nothing going for them and the same holds true for it's last incarnation "Deadly Alliance" which is the reason I won't be buying Deception.

Headless_Death said:
From what I've seen,  graphics seem very well done.  And as for the bad gameplay,  you shouldn't play it if you don't like fighting games, simple as that.  Please understand that there are people who enjoy fighting Games.

I'm talking about the very simple, almost flat shaded models I saw when I looked at the screenshots and the circa-1998 glow and particle effects. One of the screen shots has a character whose arm appears to be clipped off. Seriously, I'd like for there to be a good Mortal Kombat game, I liked the second one and was apathetic about the first, but they screwed up with the third and fell out of favor, deservedly. If this is the best they can do then I have no hope for this game.
And MK games have always had bad gameplay compared to other fighting games. I don't like the "memorize this combo and take away 3/4 of your opponent's life!" way Capcom has went, but I think you'd be foolish not to recognize they still make better fighting games than MK ever was.

If any game has you memorizing insane combos it's the tekken series. Those 10 hit combos that practically KO your opponent are too tough to remember and pull off.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6103845/p-4.html

All u need to do is watch this video to understand why mortal kombat series will never catch up to the gameplay and skill that is Capcom's Street Fighter.

dwarfkicker said:
Sub Zero is definitly the badest of the bunch.  I always use him in all of the MK games.  Except Deadly Alliance.  Scorpion owned in that game.
In the original I started out as SubZero. Then when Trilogy came out (the best one) I played as Raiden. But eventually I came back to using SubZero. I hate cheapo's who use Noob Saibot (SP). Anywho, I look foward to this game. I never bought DA, only rented it. Hopefully this one will be good. It seems to me like its going to be like Soul Calibur 2. Maybe not though.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Denial is totally right about the MK series. I was an MK kid instead of a Street Fighter kid, and we all knew Street Fighter was better, but MKII was gritty and cool, so fuck them. Then III came out and we had to change our names and go into hiding.

dwarfkicker said:
If any game has you memorizing insane combos it's the tekken series.  Those 10 hit combos that practically KO your opponent are too tough to remember and pull off.

I always found Tekken combos rather easy in that you learn one, and whoever pulls off the combo-o-death first wins. Just like what happened to SF. Totally ruined the old mental fun of these games where they were actually semi-realistic in the way the guys fought. As in, you had to be careful, take your time, have a stradegy, read your opponant and try to stay a move ahead. Now it's just executing some wild button solo; you don't even have to look at the screen. Before you had to have some steel in your guts to consistantly win. There was suspense and urgency, especially when it got down to two guys who were both one hit from death, each waiting for the other guy to make a move... now that's the true essence of a fighting game. Lost.

Hell, the best fighting game I've played recently with the good qualities I mentioned above was the original Super Smash Brothers. It was innovative without a bunch of unfun combo BS. Nobody likes doing button sequences on a controller.

"Griffith No More!" said:
I always found Tekken combos rather easy in that you learn one, and whoever pulls off the combo-o-death first wins. Just like what happened to SF. Totally ruined the old mental fun of these games where they were actually semi-realistic in the way the guys fought. As in, you had to be careful, take your time, have a stradegy, read your opponant and try to stay a move ahead. Now it's just executing some wild button solo; you don't even have to look at the screen. Before you had to have some steel in your guts to consistantly win. There was suspense and urgency, especially when it got down to two guys who were both one hit from death, each waiting for the other guy to make a move... now that's the true essence of a fighting game. Lost.

Hell, the best fighting game I've played recently with the good qualities I mentioned above was the original Super Smash Brothers. It was innovative without a bunch of unfun combo BS. Nobody likes doing button sequences on a controller.

Never really got much into the 3D fighting games. I just find it stupid that I throw a punch and if my guy isn't exactly aligned right, if he's standing a little bit to the side or something, he totally whiffs you. The one fighting game I really like is Bushido Blade. 1 or 2 hits and you're dead. It's all about reading your opponent, psyching them out, throwing them off balance. It's intense.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Denial said:
Never really got much into the 3D fighting games. I just find it stupid that I throw a punch and if my guy isn't exactly aligned right, if he's standing a little bit to the side or something, he totally whiffs you. The one fighting game I really like is Bushido Blade. 1 or 2 hits and you're dead. It's all about reading your opponent, psyching them out, throwing them off balance. It's intense.
or button mash hoping you'll batoujutsu the guy.... it was fun though
I just button-mash and let instinct do the rest...

anyone ever play VS on Z.O.E. ...?

Has anyone played the Guilty Gear games they have made Capcoms 2D fighting games their bitch. The games just looks freaking incrible and it's so fucking fast pace it also requires skill level, it isn't just button bashing you can't win that way.

Can't wait for the new game Isuka to come out the which is the latest version. You can view a trailer for Guilty Gear Isuka here.
http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_guiltygear_isuka.html

and here's Guilty Gear X2
http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_guiltygearx2.html

Looks good. 8)

Majin Tenshi said:
or button mash hoping you'll batoujutsu the guy.... it was fun though
I just button-mash and let instinct do the rest...

anyone ever play VS on Z.O.E. ...?

Yeah, that's not a bad option. If you tried that with anyone who's good and knows their character, weapons and stances you'd get chopped up more often than not though. The single cheesiest strategy I've found was practiced by one of my friends. He always chose one of the characters with the Wakizashi as their secondary weapon. Most secondary weapons only daze the opponent if they hit, but a Wakizashi can be thrown (at least in Bushido Blade 2, I forget about the first) and kill an opponent in one hit. It's extremely annoying to deal with. Every once in awhile he'd throw the thing at the beginning of the fight and kill me instantly. So stupid.

Bushido Blade 1 was pretty much better in every way anyway though. I never saw the stupid Wakizashi cheese in it. Fewer characters, yes, but blocking was active rather than passive and you could chop someone's legs out. Not much more satisfying than killing your opponent when they think you're helpless crawling on the ground.

Kakkoii_Guts

海賊王になる男だ
Guilty Gear Isuka is an excellent game. So far I'm really loving it. ;)

Mortal Kombat on the other hand has pretty much always been a stinker. I will not be playing "Deception".

The original smash bros game was great in it's time. Then the sequel came out which walks all over the first one. Me and my friends play it on lightning mode. Once you get used to the speed there's no going back to normal mode. It feels like you're in slow motion.

The Guilty Gear games are pretty bad ass. That's some fast paced action.

"Griffith No More!" said:
Denial is totally right about the MK series. I was an MK kid instead of a Street Fighter kid, and we all knew Street Fighter was better, but MKII was gritty and cool, so fuck them. Then III came out and we had to change our names and go into hiding.

What are you talking about? SF didn't turn into an all out combo kill fest. Sure, Marvel Vs Capcom 1 & 2 have infinite combos that you have to be insanely good to pull off at any given situation, but games like SFAlpha 3 generally sticks to like 5 hit combos max(without stringing together a super) unless you are in V-ISM, where if you are again "insanely" good, you can get them in infinite combos, but that's only until your V-ISM meter runs out. Street Fighter A3 is still all about outthinking your opponent, getting in those long crouching medium kick pokes or chipping off enough of his guard for a guard crush into a combo...

The original smash bros game was great in it's time.  Then the sequel came out which walks all over the first one.  Me and my friends play it on lightning mode.  Once you get used to the speed there's no going back to normal mode.  It feels like you're in slow motion.

SSBM is fucking awesome. Best 4 player fighting game ever. It's also fun having 1 on 1's with like Marth vs Roy or Marth vs Pickachu or whatever. They're pretty intense. :D

Has anyone played the Guilty Gear games they have made Capcoms 2D fighting games their bitch. The games just looks freaking incrible and it's so fucking fast pace it also requires skill level, it isn't just button bashing you can't win that way.

lol, check out Marvel Vs Capcom 2, that makes Guilty Gear it's bitch. :) Street Fighter 3's animation is also much smoother.. All the characters in Guilty Gear are so weird looking, I stick to SF even though GG is a decent 2D fighter. SFA3 and CvS2 also owns this game XD

What I'm looking forward to is Capcom vs. Sammy. Street Fighter characters taking on Guilty Gear characters. Capcom also has other game characters to put in there like Dante from the DMC series or Joe from Viewtiful Joe. And seeing as how Sammy's doing the berserk games we could possibly see Guts in there. All in all Capcom vs Sammy is gonna be intense.

Top Bottom