Addiction...

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
What I need to say is accompanied by a short story, I'll start with that.

I was in gamestop today and there was a kid who was so unenergetic and everything and it seemed like he was trying to decide on something. Today I was in a kind of bad mood, not really a game to say "oh yay they have Metal Gear Acid in stock". I saw Metal Gear Acid and I said, "Fuck, I'm going to have to buy that now?", but I said to the guys behind the counter "ya know what, I'm not getting this today" because I only had $60 and I needed to get a cd. Anyway, I go buy the cd, and I have $47 left over, just about enough to get Acid. But I sure as hell am not happy about it. I go back and I see that kid that I saw before there, but he was actually buying something. so I get on line behind him and I look pissed off, which I was because I really can't afford to spend time on that game now. The kid buys something, turns to me and says "I would've been better off with Heroin", and I reply "yeah I know, at least it's cheaper!".

Metal Gear Acid's pretty good, nothing spectacular, it's not replacing Sonic or SOA or Suikoden or Dynasty Warriors 3 or whatever as one of my favorites. But the thing is, I haven't really been happy playing a game in quite a while, I usually feel like I'm wasting time, space and life by playing it. Which I am really... I mean has anyone else ever felt like this? has anyone else ever felt like they're just mindlessly addicted to video games?

d00kiemastah

All I want to do is...bicycle.
I'm that way about masturbation.  (KEKEGIGGLE)

But seriously; yes.  I found myself in quite the same situation two years ago about.  I realized that if I continued to live like this into my twenties I would be under educated due to my laziness, anti-social, and completely devoid of any unique talents.  In shorter terms, way too much of the population.

At that point I decided that my education was more important than lazing around all day and farming gold on Dark Age of Camelot, and I needed to consider what I wanted to do for a living.  I hated to admit that, because at the time I had just recently seen Fight Club for the first time and was very much into the nihilistic philosophy of it, which I'm sure was hilarious to those around me coming from a fourteen year old.

So, I looked at what I liked.  I liked music.  I had just recently been introduced to more complex and well structured rock music by a friend, and that had taken a very serious hold on me.  I also liked Japanese stuff.  Not just entertainment, really, though that was certainly the focal point of it at the time.  Just the idea of Japan, the romance of it for me was immense.  Since I was four years old and playing Super Mario Brothers, I remember knowing this was a Japanese product, and that I wanted to do whatever was necessary to become involved in whatever could spawn something so wonderful.

So I liked music, and I liked Japanese stuff.  I decided to begin taking Japanese classes and guitar lessons.  I've not yet reaped the full benefits of either, but I'm still doing both of those today, and I intend to take up piano and vocals soon.  I find that if I do an hour or so in each every day (though I very seldom manage to do that much) I feel completely fine with being a lazy bastard the rest of the day.  So, yeah, I hope that helps.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
It's called growing up Eddie... Puberty is on it's way.

Seriously though.  I had the same problem years back.  Rarely I play anymore.  I bought an XBox, and quite frankly... I have spent at least 10 hours tops on that thing.  You're just getting tired of it, and you don't even know it.  It happens

Nomad said:

Seriously though.  I had the same problem years back.  Rarely I play anymore.  I bought an XBox, and quite frankly... I have spent at least 10 hours tops on that thing.  You're just getting tired of it, and you don't even know it.  It happens

Not everybody grows up. I think most people don't from what i have seen.

Video games, Eddie (i think) are ok as long as you don't play them too much. Try reading so you exercise your brain (i don't know if manga counts i think it has simular effects to reading because you have to imagine stuff) and go outside.

ShinHell9

Nomad said:
Thats funny because I just went through the long bloddy painful tiring process of shaving, and I don't mean the face only...don't ask why, thats just how we roll on this shitty island.

yeah the thing is I think I played Metal Gear AC!D for 10 minutes in the car, and still have'nt seen it again, I'm not only adiccted to playing but I'm also addicted to buying even if I know I have alot of crap to do when I get home.

NeoBerserker said:
Video games, Eddie (i think) are ok as long as you don't play them too much. Try reading so you exercise your brain (i don't know if manga counts i think it has simular effects to reading because you have to imagine stuff) and go outside.
haha I do go outside guys, as much as possible, if I have no reason to be outside then I go in my backyard and take slapshots against the cement part of mu house's wall. As for reading, I haven't enjoyed reading any book except High Fidelity, I don't read alone because I know it wont get done haha. In fact I have some AP books to read for an essay...jesus I'm screwed...

Eddie said:
has anyone else ever felt like they're just mindlessly addicted to video games?
not just that but coke too because I tried sniffing Coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose BA-DUMP-BUMP

but really, I don't have time to play videogames that much any more, with all the other things i have to do (sleep, tennis sleep) but maybe playing some new games might help, like play "doctor" with the hottest girl you know  8)

ShinHell9

Damien said:
*Quotes what I said about another topic*
If you're going to be anal about topics than you may as well post that for every single topic on this entire board. There doesn't need to be a point when people talk, no need for a reason. Also I'm talking about a somewhat serious issue here, Gwar isn't even a serious band, they're satirical of thrash metal. Personally I like some bands that are stairical, such as Eagles of Death Metal (at least I found them to be), but taking a band's members and making battle of the network stars with a band and the godhands of a manga, theres no need for that, battle of the network stars is over. Also it seemed to catch the intrest of at least some people, and ya know thats what conversations are all about, I have people who are intrested enough in the topic so it's not really even a failure, so if you don't enjoy it, hit mark as read and just move along.

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Eddie said:
If you're going to be anal about topics than you may as well post that for every single topic on this entire board. There doesn't need to be a point when people talk, no need for a reason. Also I'm talking about a somewhat serious issue here, Gwar isn't even a serious band, they're satirical of thrash metal. Personally I like some bands that are stairical, such as Eagles of Death Metal (at least I found them to be), but taking a band's members and making battle of the network stars with a band and the godhands of a manga, theres no need for that, battle of the network stars is over. Also it seemed to catch the intrest of at least some people, and ya know thats what conversations are all about, I have people who are intrested enough in the topic so it's not really even a failure, so if you don't enjoy it, hit mark as read and just move along.

Huh oh. So thats who gwar is. silly me, i thought it was a manga. Then again I was lost after the first couple words so meh.

ShinHell9

Damien said:
Huh oh. So thats who gwar is. silly me, i thought it was a manga. Then again I was lost after the first couple words so meh.
Yeah Gwar's like Slipknot just they don't take thier music and personas seriously.

Top Bottom