Author Topic: Proj's colors  (Read 121551 times)

Offline Proj2501

Re: Proj's colors
« Reply #425 on: June 22, 2007, 02:20:14 AM »

Working on finishing OLD projects.

Offline CnC

• Of the Abyss
  • Ad Oculos
« Reply #426 on: June 22, 2007, 03:19:58 AM »
VERY nice!
I'm sick of following my dreams.  I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later...
- R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
CnColors!

Offline Proj2501

« Reply #427 on: June 22, 2007, 05:28:53 AM »
Since we are finally embarking on a sea voyage,

Enjoy.
Full Res link: http://vs02.justedge.net/~afn20039/ig/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10005&pos=0
EDIT* New version. Thanx for the feedback.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 05:36:52 PM by Proj2501 »

Offline Rhombaad

• Old Fart in Training
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #428 on: June 22, 2007, 06:05:15 AM »
Sweet stuff, Proj!  Post more!  More I say!

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #429 on: June 22, 2007, 06:35:43 AM »
Great stuff man, it's lacking Daka though. :puck:

Offline blueberserk

« Reply #430 on: June 22, 2007, 07:15:10 AM »
Wonderful Proj.

The new Proj's  more colorful than the old one.It fits the fantastic subjects and i like your way of using the colors although it's not very realistic but more fantastic.
Thank you for your working.
welcome to berserk chinese fans forum
www.berserk.cn

Offline Proj2501

« Reply #431 on: June 22, 2007, 12:55:16 PM »
although it's not very realistic but more fantastic.

Blue, could you elaborate? I'd just like to hear a little more specific critique is all.  ;)

Offline CnC

• Of the Abyss
  • Ad Oculos
« Reply #432 on: June 22, 2007, 04:59:35 PM »
Hey Proj, another good one.

I'm not totally sure what blueberserk's getting at but for me, I think the only glaring problem is the uniformity in texture.  The pitfall of that soft airbrushed look is that everything can have that metallic sheen.  Everything from the clothes, skin, rock, wood seems to have the same level texture.  And with that many highlights it can be hard to pick out a focal point.  I think Guts skin, in particular could stand to lose a bit of that gloss (while Schierke's could use some warming up, as she looks a bit pale).  Also note that the wall of the city seems too flat (where's the hightlight/shadows on rock)?

It fits the fantastic subjects and i like your way of using the colors although it's not very realistic but more fantastic.

Keep in mind the lighting is that of a sunrise, so I think that may be why you're thinking its fantastical.

Just as a side note, keep in mind you're telling a story on this page.  There's no dialogue so colors can help.  Imagine if its pre-dawn in the first panel with most of the elves generating the light and the next two panels are the sun beginning to hit Guts' face.  The rest of the page would say as is.  That would set up the spread with Griffith coming up on the next page.  Not a requirement but just a suggestion.
I'm sick of following my dreams.  I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later...
- R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
CnColors!

Offline Serpico

• Google-Intellectual
  • Of the Interstice
  • Farnese is the bomb diggity
« Reply #433 on: June 22, 2007, 06:02:22 PM »
Excellent work Proj! I would dare to say these are some of the best colorations I have seen.

Offline Donald Shimoda

« Reply #434 on: June 23, 2007, 10:35:29 PM »
Wow your coloring is really good, I saw some of your drawings too, great stuff man.

Offline Proj2501

« Reply #435 on: June 24, 2007, 05:36:13 PM »
I think the only glaring problem is the uniformity in texture.

I can see what you mean. Maybe different style brushes?

(while Schierke's could use some warming up, as she looks a bit pale).  Also note that the wall of the city seems too flat (where's the hightlight/shadows on rock)?
magine if its pre-dawn in the first panel with most of the elves generating the light and the next two panels are the sun beginning to hit Guts' face.  The rest of the page would say as is.  That would set up the spread with Griffith coming up on the next page.  Not a requirement but just a suggestion.

Re-worked a few things based on your suggestion. Particularly the lights from the elves. (See Farnese's face.) Darkened up the fisrt panel, highlights on the brick and gave a little more red to Schierke's face. Spanx man.

Offline CnC

• Of the Abyss
  • Ad Oculos
« Reply #436 on: June 24, 2007, 07:06:35 PM »
I can see what you mean. Maybe different style brushes?

Varying up the brushes can help. Just a change in brush hardness and a different stroke can give the illusion of texture.  So just see what works.

Re-worked a few things based on your suggestion. Particularly the lights from the elves. (See Farnese's face.) Darkened up the fisrt panel, highlights on the brick and gave a little more red to Schierke's face. Spanx man.

I made another GIF to demonstrate a bit of what I'm talking about.  Basically I just pushed what you did a little further.  Added a distinctive shadow on Guts' face to give the light direction, made the light emanating from the elves a bit more distinctive in the first panel, etc.  Just some changes to the overall lighting.  I hope that demonstrates a bit more of what I'm talking about...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 07:52:32 PM by CnC »
- R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
CnColors!

Offline Proj2501

« Reply #437 on: June 24, 2007, 08:20:55 PM »
I made another GIF

Ah, I see what you mean now. I'm a visual learner. ;)
Why can't I just have a CnC Feature in Photoshop. Come to think of it, get on that why don't ya?
My bad about GOW the other night. I passed out.

Offline CnC

• Of the Abyss
  • Ad Oculos
« Reply #438 on: June 25, 2007, 03:05:20 PM »
Why can't I just have a CnC Feature in Photoshop. Come to think of it, get on that why don't ya?

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to make a button that will generate a pop-up window that says "Check your LIGHTING!"

My bad about GOW the other night. I passed out.
tsk tsk
- R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
CnColors!

Offline Proj2501

« Reply #439 on: June 25, 2007, 04:20:27 PM »
Edit: A more toned down version.

This one i was eager to get to, but the crease makes it poopy, so i'll wait until I can get my hands on a better one.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 08:55:26 PM by Proj2501 »

Offline CnC

• Of the Abyss
  • Ad Oculos
« Reply #440 on: June 25, 2007, 04:45:27 PM »
interesting start.  I started on the two page spread and managed to fix the crease, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to finish it soon as I've got a whole slew of other work to do.
- R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
CnColors!

Offline Rhombaad

• Old Fart in Training
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #441 on: June 25, 2007, 04:45:55 PM »
Good work, as usual, but I find the way you colored/lit the astral bodies a little overwhelming.

Offline CnC

• Of the Abyss
  • Ad Oculos
« Reply #442 on: June 25, 2007, 04:54:54 PM »
I agree with Rhombaad
- R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
CnColors!

Offline Proj2501

« Reply #443 on: June 25, 2007, 05:00:59 PM »
I looked to the PS2 game for reference. Maybe I'll tweak. Edit: Tweaked ^
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 08:56:29 PM by Proj2501 »

Offline Uriel

• 天下無敵者
  • Of the Abyss
  • This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
« Reply #444 on: June 26, 2007, 02:53:31 PM »
Very, very nice!

My biggest problem is how the wood in the ship is so bright, but something that minor isn't really an issue compared with how good the rest of it is. Keep it up, Proj!

Offline Shadow8

• Quarantined
  • Of the World
  • Berserk is for the life
« Reply #445 on: July 10, 2007, 12:02:09 PM »
I love it. :guts:

The colo of Farnese and Schierke in the sky. Good work and continue as that. The colors are beautiful too.

This is perfect.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 12:11:52 PM by Shadow8 »

Offline Sparnage

« Reply #446 on: July 11, 2007, 12:52:57 PM »
Great stuff as always, Proj.

Offline iamdani

« Reply #447 on: July 12, 2007, 01:11:55 AM »
Any chance to see an archieve of your work? The links to alot of your pictures and high res material seems down and I think your work is just awesome.
"et ignotas animum dimittit in artes"

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #448 on: July 12, 2007, 03:59:37 AM »
Just wanted to say, damn Proj, you've really improved over the past 2 years. Looking over your old stuff, vs your new work, you've come a really long way. Your newer work is among some of the best ever posted here.
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline mega_devastation

« Reply #449 on: July 12, 2007, 05:53:52 AM »