A statue collectors best friend

We have quite a few statue collectors on this forum and as most of you know they can be very fragile.  I was repairing some of my peices the other day and I relized that some people may not know just how easy it is to repair a broken statue.  (It also gave me a chance to use my new digi cam.

First you'll need some super glue and some kicker.  These are a couple bucks at your local hobby shop.
DSCN0015%20copy.jpg

You don't want to apply the glue directly to your statue as too much can look bad.  I recomend putting a dab on a post it note and then applying it with a toothpick or thumbtack. 
DSCN0016%20copy.jpg

O look I'm clumsy as shit and broke Grunbeld's hammer.
DSCN0020%20copy.jpg

Apply a just enough glue to cover the surface of the breakage.  You want the layer of glue to be as thin as possible.  This will prevent a seem from showing.  (Sorry for the lack of focus on this one.  I'm still getting used to my new camera)
DSCN0024%20copy.jpg

Match the peices together and....
DSCN0029%20copy.jpg

......spray with the kicker to dry the glue instantly.
DSCN0030%20copy.jpg

;D 8)
DSCN0031%20copy.jpg

DSCN0035%20copy.jpg

DSCN0037.jpg

If you have any questions let me know.
DSCN0007.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Cool post Maiku, and yeah, I guess not everybody would know about that. Nice statue collection by the way. :)

JIN

Yudanero...
Very Nice collection indeed! Im kinda freakin' out over all those limited editions being on the top shelf there. Get those bad boys some cover. Glue is your pal, but dust and sunlight are your enemies. Samurai Spirits...NICE!  ;D

Yeah thats quite a collection... its too bad you broke those limited-edition ones, I also found out that resin breaks pretty easily even though it feels solid...

JIN said:
Very Nice collection indeed! Im kinda freakin' out over all those limited editions being on the top shelf there. Get those bad boys some cover. Glue is your pal, but dust and sunlight are your enemies. Samurai Spirits...NICE!  ;D

What do you guys recommend for keeping statues dust free. I have one of those swiffers and was going to try and use that, but i am afraid it might get caught on a peice. My statues are in the open, not near sunlight, but they will get dusty eventually. So how should I clean them?

Ya, great collection, I really like that skullknight you got. Hmmm, for cleaning dust off of fragile things like that, I can only think of like a can of air, or a small vaccum cleaner, though it might suck up loose pieces or something, so I dont really know, I guess you could carefully use the swifer, just go nice and slow around it and all.

Bowen recommends using a soft paintbrush once a month to brush the dust off. Use water and a soft towel if necessary. Cleaning agents may damage the paint.

I have a glass display cabinet, but it's only big enough for a few items. I will have to display a lot of stuff out in the open, but all of my figures will have a roof over their head, so to speak, which should cut down on dust.

Helpful post, Maiku! Good to know you were able to patch up those wounds with no problem =). And your collection is definitely coming along quite nicely.

For dust, I have not used it myself, but my friend who also collects resin models uses the can-of-air that Zelz mentioned. It does shoot out air quite strongly, but I don't think it's really dangerous for the statue.

grendelrt said:
What do you guys recommend for keeping statues dust free.
You could go out and find an old broken (cracked) fish tank and flip it up-side down over them. Or, if you'd like, I can write up some plans for a do-it-yourself display case. Any size. ;D

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DirectDK said:
For dust, I have not used it myself, but my friend who also collects resin models uses the can-of-air that Zelz mentioned.  It does shoot out air quite strongly, but I don't think it's really dangerous for the statue.

Be wary, as I think it can damage fragile statues if you use it recklessly. It's efficient and works well if you spray with care, but I wouldn't take any risk with it. :)

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
BillyBudd said:
Bowen recommends using a soft paintbrush once a month to brush the dust off. Use water and a soft towel if necessary. Cleaning agents may damage the paint.

Yeah, a clean, dry paintbrush is what I use to dust them off and it works well.  I use a new fan brush, probably about 1 to 1 1/2 in. wide.  I bought it just for that purpose--I definitely wouldn't recommend one that's been used before, just in case it wasn't cleaned properly.

And thanks for the kicker tip, Maiku!  Unfortunately I've had to glue a couple of my statues, too....
>:(

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Well, I only purchased two statues so far, and both of them arrived broken, but I have awesome glueing skillz. My attack-form Guts had a broken peg in his foot, and casca had a hand broken at the wrist and at the fingers. I've used crazy glue, but you have to act fast, and apply lightly.

Thanks for the nice comments on the collection everybody. The main picture is missing my two pucks and my bloody Maken. (though you can see me fixing the Maken)

I've been putting off getting big display cases because I'm moving in the next two months. One of the first things I plan on doing after my move is gettince some nice cases for my collection.

Top Bottom