Casca Inquiries...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to bother you with an ignorant question but I was wondering, After the eclipse, How can one explain Casca's condition? It is only amnesia? Can she speak or is it the fact that she can't speak because she doesn't remember how to? Can't someone teach her sign language or the written language? (Speaking of which, is the world of Berserk unifyed under one language or many and the fact that they can communicate with other because they learned the other languages for the different nations???)

Thank you so much in advance and sorry if I'm not making much sense.

She's basically traumatized, she only let women touch her, and doesn't recognize Guts. It's more like post-traumatic stress disorder, or something like that. I really can't explain it using technical terms, but she's basically reverted to a toddler-like mindset.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mugwump101 said:
It is only amnesia? Can she speak or is it the fact that she can't speak because she doesn't remember how to? Can't someone teach her sign language or the written language?

It's more than just amnesia, like yota821 said, she's reverted back to an early age infant mind, while still being able to naturally perform basic actions suiting her grown-up body (not to mention the flashbacks). About refusing to let men touch, she did accept Guts' contact for a while, after he saved for in Albion. Although, she's had quite a number of bad experiences since then.

There are a number of old threads on the topic, feel free to search for them if you need more information/opinions/speculations.

Mugwump101 said:
Speaking of which, is the world of Berserk unifyed under one language or many and the fact that they can communicate with other because they learned the other languages for the different nations???

Kushans have a language of their own, but most of them can apparently speak what I'll call the "common tongue". This common tongue is what every character in Berserk is speaking, and for the sake of simplicity I think it's good to assume that almost everybody in the Berserk world speaks it.

KushanLanguage.jpg

Otherwise, we could assume that Kushans and others speak their own language between themselves but that Miura doesn't show it because it wouldn't be very convenient to represent/read.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
yota821 said:
Read volume 14 (or was it 13?), and you see Casca running away from Guts and Rickert, and only letting Erica get close.

It's 13, and yeah, she only tolerated Erica at the time.

R

-rob-

Mugwump101 said:
Can she speak or is it the fact that she can't speak because she doesn't remember how to? Can't someone teach her sign language or the written language?

That is a good point... It's been like what? 3-4 years since The Eclipse? I would think by now she should have learned to say somehting. (Other then slurs)

Yeah I understand she has the mind of a young infant, but a young infants mind is growing. Howcome hers isnt?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
-rob- said:
Yeah I understand she has the mind of a young infant, but a young infants mind is growing. Howcome hers isnt?

Because her condition is due to a trauma, not to her age.

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
I didn't think she had sworn off women there, I thought she was scared out of her mind and let's face it, Guts is a pretty damn intimidating person. I thought he just scared her the same way he would scare any average person.
Ericha is just so gentle and sweet, it was easy for caska to open up to her.

As for her actual condition, it is a form of mental regression brought on by extreme trauma. I'll do a little reserach and get back to you with specifics, but come on, who wouldn't be a simpering, scarred for life, drolling idiot after a event like the festival?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Femto the Raven said:
I didn't think she had sworn off women there, I thought she was scared out of her mind and let's face it, Guts is a pretty damn intimidating person. I thought he just scared her the same way he would scare any average person.
Ericha is just so gentle and sweet, it was easy for Casca to open up to her.

At first, Erica was the only person she wasn't afraid of, this includes Rickert as well as Guts. After a while though, she even tolerated Guts until "the incident" :beast:

but come on, who wouldn't be a simpering, scarred for life, drolling idiot after a event like the festival?

:guts:Guts :beast:, baby

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
I'm willing to bet that a major part of the reason why she developes such a strong aversion to Guts in the first place is because he serves as a reminder to her of what happened. If her mind is actively suppressing the events of the Eclipse; It seems possible to me that she is frightened of Guts because of the strong emotions that she must still have towards him buried in her submerged personality might draw her concious mind out if she recognized him for who he was. So acknowledging Guts would be the same thing as reliving the experience for her; which she is of course incapable of at this time.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
I didn't know about that scene when I made that post. Although I think that my speculation still stands in light of the fact that she was frightened of him from the moment they met again after The Eclipse.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Funkmasta Zeph said:
She's frightned of Guts because he tried to rape her (or the Beast anyway.)

No, it started when he tried to strangle her while possessed by some specters. The Beast's breast-biting incident came shortly after and just made things worse.

Forest Wraith said:
Although I think that my speculation still stands in light of the fact that she was frightened of him from the moment they met again after The Eclipse.

She's afraid of every man after the Eclipse, even Rickert, he explains it to Guts when he wakes up. This has already been said in this thread, please read other people's posts more carefully in the future. Your theory doesn't make sense anyway considering that she tolerated Guts just fine when he saved her in Albion and until the aforementioned incidents.

That being said, I think the thread has lived long enough. The original questions were answered, so it's locking time.

PS: In regard to the several languages thing, I'd like to add to my original reply to Mugwump101 the fact that Daiba speaks in "Kushan" in episode 270 but that it's written in Japanese, the only indication we have that it's not the "common tongue" is that Serpico specifically says that he can't understand it because it's in "Kushan".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom