Something I just finished

This is just a random sketch.  I got bored, sat down with the intention of drawing an armored soldier, and somehow ended up with this.  I think my mind wanders a bit too much sometimes, but whatever. 

I took this with a digital camera, I have no scanner, but I think the capture quality was good enough.  Here is the resized image:

mypicweb.jpg

The full size original capture is here:(little over a meg, it's big):
http://orca.st.usm.edu/~wjohnso5/mypic.JPG

I'll throw some more up later probably.

Yea, that is a nice drawing. I like how you did the folds in the clothes and the flowers, it would be great if you could put some more of your art up.

SlimJ87D said:
Wow, that's really good dude. Can you draw people really well too?

I kinda thought that was a person I drew there(I hope that's what it is)....sorry, I think you've mistyped your question and I don't really know what you are asking.

CnC

Ad Oculos
hey mike. I like the rendering you did on it.

However it suffers from some severe proportion issues. Namely the length of the arms and legs, the position of the clavical, the size of the feet and hands, and the relation of the face to the head.

CnC said:
hey mike.  I like the rendering you did on it.

However it suffers from some severe proportion issues.  Namely the length of the arms and legs, the position of the clavical, the size of the feet and hands, and the relation of the face to the head.

Thanks for the compliment on the rendering. Now I'm gonna have to debate with you a bit on the proportions. You said length of the arms and legs, but you didn't say whether you thought them to be too long or too short, so I'm gonna need you to specify. Same with the hands and feet, too big or too small?

I don't really understand the relation of the face to the head comment, please be more specific. You can go look at yourself in the mirror at about a 45 degree tilt to the right or left and notice a similar profile to the one I drew on her.

I used generalized proportions for her length based on the height of her head. About a head's length down from her chin we'll find the bottom of her breasts, nearly another head's length down we'll find her belly button, and a head's length down from that we'll find the bottom of her crotch. I lined the crease of her elbow roughly around the area her belly button would fall(a little above), as this is a fairly common proportion on many women when their arms are hung straight down along their body. A little over a head's length down from her crotch (about 1 and a quarter length) I started her kneecaps. Her knees are pointed just slightly towards the viewer so the length is gonna appear a little less due to the angle. When a person sits on their heels their heels generally fall directly under their ass....and in my image, even though her feet are cocked out the the side a bit, the placement of the feet gives the impression that if she were to sit directly on them her heels would be right under her ass, no?

I said I didn't know whether you thought the hands to be too big or too small, but they were intended on the small side because, well, some people have smaller hands and I prefer to sketch women with smaller hands. If you thought they were too big we might have to argue that a bit.

Ok, that's my explanation of the proporations, feel free to rebute what you want.

mike.william said:
I kinda thought that was a person I drew there(I hope that's what it is)....sorry, I think you've mistyped your question and I don't really know what you are asking.

I think he was insulting your drawing.

It looks good to me.

CnC

Ad Oculos
pippin22 said:

It looks good to me.

I wasn't insulting it... :schierke:

mike_wrong.gif

mike.william said:
Thanks for the compliment on the rendering. Now I'm gonna have to debate with you a bit on the proportions. You said length of the arms and legs, but you didn't say whether you thought them to be too long or too short, so I'm gonna need you to specify. Same with the hands and feet, too big or too small?

The hands and feet are too small. Even if you were giving preference to them being on the small side. The length of the forearms are particularly odd (too big). The length of the torso is too long. The length of the thigh is ok, but the calf is too long given the length of the thigh.

You should always do your measurements in relation to the head, thats how you'll gauge your propotions accurately.

mike.william said:
I don't really understand the relation of the face to the head comment, please be more specific. You can go look at yourself in the mirror at about a 45 degree tilt to the right or left and notice a similar profile to the one I drew on her.

Basically, the face occupies more real estate on the skull than you've given her. Study the human skull and pay particular attention to how much space is occupied by the facial structure before it become the spherical mass towards the back. I wasn't referring to the angle its in, I know its not dead on. I pointed it out on the face you _do_ have dead on in the paint-over.

mike.william said:
I used generalized proportions for her length based on the height of her head. About a head's length down from her chin we'll find the bottom of her breasts, nearly another head's length down we'll find her belly button, and a head's length down from that we'll find the bottom of her crotch. I lined the crease of her elbow roughly around the area her belly button would fall(a little above), as this is a fairly common proportion on many women when their arms are hung straight down along their body. A little over a head's length down from her crotch (about 1 and a quarter length) I started her kneecaps. Her knees are pointed just slightly towards the viewer so the length is gonna appear a little less due to the angle. When a person sits on their heels their heels generally fall directly under their ass....and in my image, even though her feet are cocked out the the side a bit, the placement of the feet gives the impression that if she were to sit directly on them her heels would be right under her ass, no?

Click for proportions

In terms of your head measurements, it takes too long to get from the neck to the crotch. Check your measurements again. Even if you're not going for "ideal" proportions, its still off.

Seated positions are tricky. You have to pay attention to perspective in addition to proportion. To help out, try blocking out the figure first of all. The foot positions are a tad odd. Wheres your horizon line?
The biggest problem with the lower body (calf and foot size aside) is the perspective.

excuse the typos/brainfarts. Its late :void:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
pippin22 said:

It's called constructive criticism. CnC is letting him know what's off in order for Mike to improve his drawings in the future. There was nothing insulting about what CnC said at all.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
It's called constructive criticism. CnC is letting him know what's off in order for Mike to improve his drawings in the future. There was nothing insulting about what CnC said at all.

Sorry guys but I think he was talking about what SlimJ87D said. And I don't think SlimJ87D intended his post to be insulting either, he probably just formulated it wrongly which is what mike.william assumed. I'll also have to agree about the drawing having some proportion issues, but hey, the potential is there.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Sorry guys but I think he was talking about what SlimJ87D said. And I don't think SlimJ87D intended his post to be insulting either, he probably just formulated it wrongly which is what mike.william assumed. I'll also have to agree about the drawing having some proportion issues, but hey, the potential is there.

haha, whoops. I musta missed that. Either way, I think all crits should be constructive here.
Yes, the potential is there, the work done on the rendering and detail on the dress are nice. I like it.
You should definitely post more stuff :badbone:

All crits have passed the revue. Listen to what CnC said and your next piece would be even better. But it's a nice pencil drawing!

keep it up!

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
I'm not very observant with drawings (like, I didn't notice it was out of proportion until it was pointed out) so it looks great to me, other then the things CnC has pointed out.

I like it, and I'm sure it will be even better if those small things are fixed. Keep up the great work!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:

Whoops, sorry about that Pippin22.

Thanks for the contructive criticism, especially CnC's opinions.

Some of the flaws are more evident now, and on some I'm undecided about but have been pushed into think more deeply about, so I'm glad I posted(I've never put my drawings on the internet before, I usually just throw them away a few months after I finish them.)

When I get a chance I'll throw up some basic body sketches of this same woman from different angles and see if we can't find more things to discuss in relation to what I did in the first one. I need an excuse to practice different perspectives anyway.

I also think there's a lot to like here--

The smoothness of the shading is well done-- the contours of the face and the legs, the folds of the fabric are well done. I thought the hair had the appropriate "sheen" to it as well, where the shifting of shading from darks to lights is more abrupt.

CnC's very useful comments regarding proportion are true, in my eyes, however. The arms are too long-- that's probably the most noticeable, biological fact that can be pointed out with pretty definitive certainty. Perhaps the neck is too long, or the face not large enough as well (although I'm sure that can be debated).

Still, certain sections of the drawing taken in and of themselves are very well done-- I thought most everything from the waist down was very good, well proportioned and nicely shaded. The hands and feet, of themselves, are very well done, and I know how hard they are to draw. I noticed and appreciated some details like the tendons in the wrist, and in the top of the foot.

All in all, despite critiques, this is a good drawing. I feel like all the tools are there for an even better drawing to be made (shading, line weight, attention to details and the representation of the reflection of light), if the "academic" knowledge of biology and proportion and body mechanics were better known.

Good work!

CnC

Ad Oculos
mike.william said:
Me and colors don't get along. Everytime I've attempted colors it's ended badly. I guess I just don't have the aptitude for it.

This is getting off topic, but the tutorials thread is meant to help with that.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Great job. Though Cnc was definately right with his proportional insights, the shading and cleanliness of the work is fantastic. If I might make a suggestion, it always is easier for me to sketch out the bady shape before adding clothes and hair. This helps establish the proportions. The bottom of the dress seems to be to blame for her remarkably large posterior. It helps me, so I thought I might recomend it.

Keep practicing with your colors though, I still suck, but with each one I learn something new. Nobody can blame you for failing miserably as long as you give it your best shot.

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
First thing that pops into my head is its really good work. The shading is particularly impressive.

Something to keep in mind with the hands and arms, your forearm is only about 1.5 times as long as your outstretched hand. Similar for the feet. They are both really well drawn aside from the sizes though.

Top Bottom