MAXIMUM BERSERK

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
Re:MAXIMUM BERSERK- the monster is out and I have it

Today finally Maximum Berserk did come out in italian comics shop. Needless to say I did bought it.
The size how you already know is cm 26X18X 2,50 what translate in inches 7X 10.1X0.98. It has 344 pages and it read the japanese way.
Those are old news, but i have to admit that the larger format does Miura justice. You are familiar, like me with the smaller format, the bigger pages are another thing entirely: I would like that you all were here with me to peruse it.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Hey, do we have any Italians here keeping up with Panini's Maximum Berserk releases?  Vol. 10 is about to come out on 23rd March 2006 right?  So does that mean they're on the Japanese vol. 15's content? (each one is a tankoubon and a half right?)

How are they?  Nice quality?  Any extras?  Worth importing?

7 by 10 inches of Berserk...  I WANT THESE SO BAD.   :judo:

Edit:  XD well, then again maybe I don't!   :troll:

Inoltre, essendo una tavola fotocopia di fotocopia, molti retini si sono persi (rimangono bianchi, infatti i vestiti di Rickert e del mostro e la stampa di pessima qualità sbianca i contorni e cancella anche i sassi sul pavimento).

E questo è un altro difetto che mi era, pertanto sfuggito.
Edizione Definitiva? fatta COI PIEDI!

Moz-

CnC

Ad Oculos
Lithrael said:
7 by 10 inches of Berserk... I WANT THESE SO BAD. :judo:

Edit: XD well, then again maybe I don't! :troll:

Sure you do. I know I do. I've stated before I'd like Akira sized versions of these books. I know the print quality exists, as I'm sure the originals weren't drawn on 4*5 postcards.

...actually it would probably blow my mind to know they were drawn on postcards, as well... :troll:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
I know the print quality exists, as I'm sure the originals weren't drawn on 4*5 postcards.

Well it's not like there's a doubt, it's published in a large format (same as Akira, for reference) in Young Animal. But if you read what Lithrael quoted, the print quality of the Maximum Berserk edition is apparently not so good.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Well it's not like there's a doubt, it's published in a large format (same as Akira, for reference) in Young Animal. But if you read what Lithrael quoted, the print quality of the Maximum Berserk edition is apparently not so good.

My italian is about as good as my french... which (as you may have suspected) is abysmal

Lithrael

Hehehee! :guts: He says some of the linework has been lost due to *not* going back to a source closer to the original. Other comments in the thread imply the source for the book appears to just be the older Italian edition, flipped back to the Japanse orientation, and they didn't even bother to flip everything they included. So some art inserts have Guts with the wrong arm & eye, etc. Moz curses it as having been
'made with the feet.'

Lithrael

..Hoo..  okay...  I just got me two volumes of Maximum Berserk.​

maximum.jpg

Volume 9 covers the end of the eclipse, Volume 10 is the first part of Lost Children, up to the beginning of the Roshinu brawl. (Vol 13 - 15 regular edition)

It's pretty awesome, despite its flaws.  And there are many flaws..  but the gorgeousness of large format Berserk is unmitigated!

Most of the art doesn't suffer from being a blowup of the old Italian edition master prints.  Only a handful of pages are actually badly washed out.  The paper seems nice, but the ink and printing, yech.  There are faint rub stains on some white pages and many, many solid black areas are rubbed a little bit grey.

Despite all that though, I can't help it, I love the hell out of these things.  The art is fucking knockout.  I mean you can't stay mad at that face, can you?  CAN YOU?  A Japanese or English release like this would make me cry with joy.

Me will ETA review pictures if me remember take them.

ETA:     review pictures

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lithrael said:
Me will ETA review pictures if me remember take them.

Thanks, it'd be cool to get a detailed review. :serpico: And I sure would like a Japanese edition in a B5 format myself... One day maybe.

Sweet Jesus... a larger edition of the manga, quite interesting thing to look... altough it is in Italian (...) no matter I'm still able to understand it, if only it would be sold here :judo:

Lithrael

Mini Maximum Berserk Review Corner

So one day I was reading Berserk, like we all do...

readingberserk.jpg

When suddenly...

readingberserkMAX.jpg

Good points:  Size.  Oh god.  It's so big.  Everything pops.  Unf unf unf. 

Eh?  points:  The SFX have been painstakingly sort of reworked into western letters.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Definitely gets points for effort...

Bad points:  The ink.  Many pages suffer from un-solid solid blacks.  A few have ink rub from facing pages. 

maximum-3.jpg

the original:
maximum-3_sauce.jpg

Also, the occasional 'somebody was smoking crack' page.

maximum-4.jpg

the original:
maximum-4_sauce.jpg

I leave you with one of the panels that really is great when seen at such a size.

http://www.lithrael.com/berserk/features/maximum/maximum-2.jpg

(and the original)
http://www.lithrael.com/berserk/features/maximum/maximum-2_sauce.jpg

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Interesting how they morphed the Japanese sound effects into more Westernized ones. I agree, they definitely get an A for effort. As for the ink rubbing off, that's no good at all. Oh well, if you own both then it's no problem, right? I do very much enjoy the Berserk bigness, though. :guts:

Thanks for the pics, Lith! :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the review Lith, it's pretty cool. I can see why someone would get these volumes, but I won't be buying them myself (otherwise I guess I would have already). Holding out for a hypothetic high quality Japanese version. :carcus:

I guess the flaw on the occasional smoking crack is very serious... Its was mirrored image... His blind right eye become left, and his mechanical left arm become right... lolx

Btw... Lith u got a beautiful hand :casca:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:
Its was mirrored image... His blind right eye become left, and his mechanical left arm become right...

That's because the "common" edition they base themselves on is mirrored in Italy.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Thanks for the pics. I'll stick to the English version though, I'm nearsighted, so I might as well use what vision I have.

Smith said:
Btw... Lith u got a beautiful hand  :casca:
Well of course, those are the hands that produce some of the most awesome colorations in existence. Enough talking about Lith's hand though, I'm sure we both have throughly creeped her out by now. Then again, it's the internet. :carcus:

A belated thanks for the review, Lith! u got a beautiful berserk volume :-*

Just for the record: there's also a German "Berserk MAX" series coming out, obviously inspired by the Italian version. However, they did not bother to make a bigger sized version, so it's basically just a rerelease with two volumes merged into one...nothing MAX about that :schierke:
I'm saying this because it has been falsely stated on some ebay-auctions to be a big version like the Italian one. Don't fall for it! :miura:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Chung said:
Just for the record: there's also a German "Berserk MAX" series coming out, obviosly inspired by the Italian version. However, they did not bother to make a bigger sized version, so it's basically just a rerelease with two volumes merged into one...nothing MAX about that

Yeah, it's just two volumes in one at the standard size and with ugly covers. And as far as I know they haven't published a lot of these yet. As for being inspired by the Italian version, well Planet Manga is the property of Panini Comics so... :void:

Aazealh said:
Yeah, it's just two volumes in one at the standard size and with ugly covers. And as far as I know they haven't published a lot of these yet.
One, so far. They will come out on a two-month basis. It's not like I'm going to get them,but I guess it's still a chance for new fans to get the series in it's entirety since a lot of volumes have been out of print in Germany.

Aazealh said:
As for being inspired by the Italian version, well Planet Manga is the property of Panini Comics so... :void:
...so they decided to not just make it BIG like they had done before :???: ?
It's not fair :(....

*sigh*, Come on, Panini!
rita414a8ks.jpg

MAKE MY MONSTER GROOOOOOOOOW!!!

Top Bottom