Your own Dragonslayer

Chiba said:
Ok, here's an update: they're going to make it and it will be done in August. I'm so excited, woot! :guts:

Nice!

GIve us some more details. Like what kind of price did they quote you?

Chiba

Proud owner of a Dragonslayer
Aazealh said:
Cool, don't forget to post pictures once it's done!

I'll drown you in photos! :guts:

Maiku said:
Nice!

GIve us some more details. Like what kind of price did they quote you?

It will cost around 1400 Euro (that's around 1800$). They will weld it from steel plate slabs, so the blade itself will be hollow, and it will weigh around 30kg.
I showed them pictures from the Tuned Blade versions and they said that it will look like this. They have expirience with such fictional concepts, so I'm confident that they will deliver an awesome piece of work. :serpico:

If anyone is interested, here's a link to their website: http://schwertschmied.at (It's only in german, so you might have some trouble reading it. ^^;)
The forge is in Austria, only 1 hour by car from Vienna, where I live, so it's perfect, I don't even have to pay for shipping. :guts:

PS: if I made any grammar mistakes in the description, please feel free to correct it, I'm always eager to improve my english.

Spirit of Ukko

Eclipse darkened the horizon
You are a one lucky dude. I cant wait to see pictures! That blacksmith place looks really old-school fashioned (like middle age or something) and they have some interesting swords too. I think i have to someday take a trip to Austria and get my own. I just ask them to do the same kind of big-ass-sword that some other crazy guy asked while ago :carcus: But then again, i think it'll cost just too much :judo: well, maybe someday...

Raziel

"Each man is haunted until his humanity awakens."
That's awesome that you found someone to make your DS!  Like the others said, be sure to post a ton of photos for us.   I know I can't wait to see them!   :guts:

J

jumper11

This is about the coolest thing ever. I eagerly await the photos!

You're gettin your own personal Dragon Slayer forged?!?! Now all you need is someone to start on your own personal Berserk Armor... :chomp:
Too bad you couldn't arrange to video tape the process. That would be sweet, How to Forge A Dragon Slayer...tonight on the Discovery Channel. :guts:

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
This is the closest actual historical weapon I've seen that can be compared to the Dragon Slayer.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/5079/15thcenturyitalianwarsword49by.jpg

It's an Italian War-Sword from the 15th century with a 49 inch long by 6 inch wide blade. Obviously, it comes close more in terms of shape and width rather then the actual size of the Dragon Slayer . . . I want it . . .
Guts' Golden Age swords are most analgous to a standard war-sword with a stripped down guard and slightly wider blade. Interestingly enough, swords such as this designed for actual use on the battle-field only weighed in range of 5 to 7 lbs; so having a sword such as that availible actually isn't at all unrealistic.

http://www.thearma.org/essays/2HGS.html

Chiba

Proj2501 said:
You're gettin your own personal Dragon Slayer forged?!?! Now all you need is someone to start on your own personal Berserk Armor... :chomp:
Too bad you couldn't arrange to video tape the process. That would be sweet, How to Forge A Dragon Slayer...tonight on the Discovery Channel. :guts:

Well, it's not really forged like a normal sword (read the details above). That would be too expensive and as many people already said, I doubt there is a forge large enough to fit the Dragonslayer. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Forest Wraith said:
Obviously, it comes close more in terms of shape and width rather then the actual size of the Dragon Slayer . . . I want it . . .

Hahaha yeah, it looks like a joke honestly. Like the kind of knives they use for picnics in the countryside over here. :void:

Forest Wraith said:
Guts' Golden Age swords are most analgous to a standard war-sword with a stripped down guard and slightly wider blade. Interestingly enough, swords such as this designed for actual use on the battle-field only weighed in range of 5 to 7 lbs; so having a sword such as that availible actually isn't at all unrealistic.

I'm sorry but I don't think your comparison is pertinent. Guts' swords were not only (at least) twice wider but also ridiculously thicker than historical two-handed greatswords. They can't really be compared except for the general look of the weapons, which isn't relevant (nothing looks more like a sword than another sword).

And this directly affects the weight, a simple look at the blades is enough to realize that Guts' weapon would be far heavier. He once said his sword's blade was three times thicker than normal (although it looks even more to me), that means the total mass would be proportionally increased (and I'd estimate it weighing over 10 kg). Anyway this isn't really the topic since Chiba's talking about a Dragon Slayer replica here (and in the Merchandise section), so if anyone wants to discuss this further I think it'd be better to move it to one of the numerous threads we have about sword sizes and weight.

Well, not quite The Dragon Slayer. HOWEVER I think this looks familiar.

Created by Lundemo

IMAGE LINK

I don't have the measurements any more. But I'm sure someone could find it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dekant said:
Well, not quite The Dragon Slayer. HOWEVER I think this looks familiar.

Yeah, not the DS at all, but it does look like his sword while he was in the Hawks. The blade seems too short though, but I'd still like to know the measurements out of curiosity.

I found it

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32010&highlight=berserk+john+lundemo

Here's the thread it has all the specs and info on it, in case soemone here wants to try and commission one.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well I have to admit it's pretty cool. It's not a very accurate replica, rather it's an "inspired" design, but at least it has really been forged and seems to be functional, and from the pictures and the guy's post you can tell it wasn't done by a hack either. It's a beautiful sword and its owner is a lucky man, I especially like the grip. I can't help but notice that it was done 2 years ago though, I can't believe nobody posted it earlier. I'll post the specs here for posterity and in case the original thread ever disappears:

VayDuong said:
Specs:
Overall Length: 59.25"
Blade Length: 41.5"
Blade Width
at Base: 3.75"
Blade Width
near Tip: 2.5"
POB: 5"
COP: 28"
Grip Length: 13.5"
Guard: 6" X 1.25"
Weight: 8lbs

Far too small to compare to the "original" Guts uses but hey, it's still great. "Maelstrom" fits it well as a name, too.

True, it may be pretty small towards Guts' sword, it is still pretty big. I'm not sure how well these figures translated over from manga to anime, but in the anime, Guts says soemthign to the effect of his sword being 3 times as heavy, and 3 times as thick as a normal sword. If a normal longsword is around 3 pounds, and this one is 8, it's somewhat close in size.

I'd still love to see a forged out Dragon Slayer. Maybe if I become a multi-millionaire I could afford to commision a sword that weighs as much as a car.

Chiba

That's a very nice sword. :isidro:
Getting Guts' Hawks sword made is my next goal once the DS is done - and I have money again ;)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dekant said:
If a normal longsword is around 3 pounds, and this one is 8, it's somewhat close in size.

Guts' weapon isn't a normal longsword. It's as tall as him, and he's not 59" tall. That plays more of a role than the weight of the sword in deeming it similar or not.

But then Guts was referring to a "normal sword". A big "great sword" wasn't very normal either. I just took it to mean a normal soldier's sword, though yes, I agree, length would play quite a role. Any guess on Guts' height? After this, I'll be done hijacking the thread

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dekant said:
But then Guts was referring to a "normal sword". A big "great sword" wasn't very normal either. I just took it to mean a normal soldier's sword, though yes, I agree, length would play quite a role.

It doesn't matter what he was referring to regarding the sword's thickness. If anything, Maelstrom isn't more than 3 times thicker than a "normal" sword. The weight is of course even less relevant here as a mean of comparison (as there are small swords weighing more than longer ones, a lot of factors influence the weight). And Guts' sword is just bigger and longer anyway, I don't think you have any point here when Maelstrom's owner himself said so (the most similar part to me is the blade's width compared to the overall figure). You simply said "it's somewhat close in size" and it actually isn't by sword standards (well, except if you consider a difference of over 40 cm to be benign I guess). That doesn't remove anything to the sword's quality so I really don't see the problem.

Here's a visual comparison of it next to more common swords, to illustrate what I'm saying. Now look at the size difference between Guts' sword and others in the manga.

Dekant said:
Any guess on Guts' height?

195 cm as of late (6.32 ft). And that's not a guess. A few years ago he was officially announced to be 190 but now he's 5 cm taller according to Hakusensha.

Thanks for the height. I was wondering about that for a long time.

All I was saying was, I don't think Guts was refering to one of the larger-end swords. Hence, a "normal" sword might be in the range of 3 pounds. He said his sword was 3 times the weight of a "normal sword." As I was assuming he meant one of these 3 pound swords I speak of, that would make 9 pounds. Maelstrom is 8 pounds. Weight wise, that is a somewhat similar figure.

I was open to the fact that perhaps that they just threw those numbers out in the anime. Given the sheer length of the sword, and if it were 3 times standard thickness, it should weigh a good bit my. My original guess, ignoring those figures placed it around 24 pounds or so.

But again, assuming the weight in the anime was right, then his sword was 9 pounds. Maelstrom being 8 pounds I considered that to be somewhat close in size(I should have said weight). Especially considering the tremendous weight of DS which he wields later on, a pound wouldn't be anything in terms of Guts.

To bow my head a bit, I didn't look at it's comparison towards other swords in the original thread, nor did I take a close look at the stats.

Anyway, I never meant to get this involved in the thread. Sorry for hijacking it. I hope you enoyed looking at Maelstrom. Thank you for Guts' height. :)

I look forward to seeing the DS in this thread in a few weeks!!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dekant said:
All I was saying was, I don't think Guts was refering to one of the larger-end swords.

That's just an assumption on your part however. He doesn't really specify anything in that regard.

Dekant said:
He said his sword was 3 times the weight of a "normal sword."

Actually he says it is more than 3 times so. Which is conveniently vague and can mean anything.

Dekant said:
Weight wise, that is a somewhat similar figure.

But that's still totally irrelevant, like I said. And you were talking about its size earlier, a matter in which weight bears no influence, hence my original reply. I really don't think there's any possible debate on this matter, I don't even know why we're discussing it. The whole point is about visual similarity, right? It's just smaller, that's it.

Dekant said:
I was open to the fact that perhaps that they just threw those numbers out in the anime.

In fact it's straight from the manga, so this line is canon.

Dekant said:
I hope you enoyed looking at Maelstrom. Thank you for Guts' height. :)

Yeah it's a pretty cool sword, thanks for posting it. And you're welcome for the height. :SK:

D

Death Can Wait

I was actually wondering if anyone -had- attempted a dragon slayer, nice and at the same time dissapointing to know that they have not. Let's keep informed if anyone ever does succeed, we'll know because they can't lift it.

Chiba

I haven't received an update yet, but I guess they're already working on it since it should be done by the end of August.
The boss of the forge already ordered the materials several weeks ago, before he went on holidays to Greece for a few weeks, and they couldn't start making it in the meantime, cause he wanted to lead the manufacture by himself cause he liked that idea that much. :serpico:
He even read up on Berserk to get an idea of the story and the details about the sword, so I think he'll put a lot of effort into making it very authentic.

Top Bottom