Serpy Colors

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
Nothing too amazing here (aside from Miura's art), but my style is different (aka. messy) than most other people on the board (wow, you guys do some clean smooth colors!) so I thought some diversity is good. I put a good deal more effort into Griff than the background since I wanted him to stand out more. He was the only part I wanted to color actually... and its tough do it all in one sitting.

I have more WIP and finished stuff scattered about my PC so I might get to finishing some and posting it on occasion.

griff_coloration.jpg

and the old pic from my sig, 90% done... close enough
serp_farn_col.jpg

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Not bad at all! I really like the fact you didn't use blue for Griffith. The sky could use a little more... colour? It seems a little flat. Yet, the grass seems a little too saturated when paired against the subtle grays and turquoises. As for Serpico -- it's pretty good. The tiger could use a little more work, as could some other elements of the picture, but I'm still impressed.

Keep it up! :serpico:

CnC

Ad Oculos
I second Uriel's critique on all points. Its good work! I like what you've done with it too. Just tone down the grass a bit to make it a little less overpowering and careful with the horses (there are points where their colors are bleeding over on to the grass).

Keep it coming

Serpico

Uriel said:
  Not bad at all! I really like the fact you didn't use blue for Griffith. The sky could use a little more... colour? It seems a little flat. Yet, the grass seems a little too saturated when paired against the subtle grays and turquoises. As for Serpico -- it's pretty good. The tiger could use a little more work, as could some other elements of the picture, but I'm still impressed.

Keep it up! :serpico:

Thanks Uriel, I tried to stick with silver and white for Griff. I agree, the sky, and grass, and entire background needs to be revamped basically. They have 1 layer as opposed to the 20 or so Griff has. When I have more energy I'll give those a whole hearted attempt.

CnC said:
I second Uriel's critique on all points. Its good work! I like what you've done with it too. Just tone down the grass a bit to make it a little less overpowering and careful with the horses (there are points where their colors are bleeding over on to the grass).

Keep it coming

Thanks, I have yet to develope a technique for grass or sky that I like. I can probably do at least a little better though. The horse thing you can chalk up to sheer laziness; forgot to color their ears too, but I will fix them on the next shot.

Serpico

handsome rakshas said:
Good job, Serpy boy! I'm very impressed, and I look forward to more of your colorings soon!

Thanks, I'll try to do some more since everyone like them. It's a good way to kill time.

Dirty Dog said:
I'm impressed, Serpico.
I half expected to find work that looked like it was done by.. well, someone like me. :troll:

Thanks, I've used photoshop for a couple years now. It is an ongoing learning process.

I re-upped a slightly more blended version, and desatured and textured the grass a little, as well as putting a little more color in the sky. Neither is great still but it all blends a little better I think.

Hey Serpy. I like the work. (Alot of my critiques have already been pointed out, so I won't be a broken record). The Serpico/Farnese close up I like the best. I know it was your avatar, but I didn't know your colored it. Kudos dude. Practice, practice. Show ME MOOOORRRRRRE!

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
Wow Serpico! You got some talent there.
I like the Serpico + Farnese piece, I meant to ask you who did the coloring on your avatar, it's very impressive.

I noticed the bleeding colors on the horses, but I actually like the sky, it gives the piece a sureal, dreamlike feel.

Keep up the good work.

Serpico

Freshly done; one of my favorite pages (art wise) of berserk. I put more effort into this one to get it to come out how I wanted.

shierk_sonia_final.jpg

CnC

Ad Oculos
Very cool stuff, serpico. I really like how is simple but effective. The touches of blue in the background are really cool.
Its best when doing these to keep the colors within the panels tho (some of the blue is bleeding through). Also it looks like Sonja is wearing lipstick, but other than that it's a very good piece.

Keep on postin' :)

Serpico

Proj2501 said:
Hey hey hey!!! That's what I'm talking about. Gorgeous.

Thank you, I appreciate the encouragement.
CnC said:
Very cool stuff, serpico. I really like how is simple but effective. The touches of blue in the background are really cool.
Its best when doing these to keep the colors within the panels tho (some of the blue is bleeding through). Also it looks like Sonja is wearing lipstick, but other than that it's a very good piece.

Keep on postin' :)

Thanks for the thoughts, I was debating when I saved whether to stay in the panels or not. I think I agree with you though. I softened up her lips and cheeks just a touch too, I am not sure its very noticeable but I wanted to leave a little more color in the closeup.

handsome rakshas said:
Amazing! I love this coloring, Serpy boy! Very vivid and beautiful, I salute your new work!

Thanks for the support as always.  :)

CnC

Ad Oculos
Serpico said:
Thanks for the thoughts, I was debating when I saved whether to stay in the panels or not. I think I agree with you though. I softened up her lips and cheeks just a touch too, I am not sure its very noticeable but I wanted to leave a little more color in the closeup.

I think it looks better when its staying within the panels. Coloring is best when its done to serve the narrative. Making it flow with the story is paramount to how "realistic" the colors are. I think you did a great job by picking desaturated but bright colors for this page, with simple but effective coloring.

However, have you added more blue in the sky since I last looked at this? I ask 'cause I'm looking at it with a different monitor. The background is beginning to compete more with the foreground, imo. Also it looks like Sonja's hair is bleeding to the right a lot. I kind of liked how it looked before, but its up to you.

Serpico

CnC said:
However, have you added more blue in the sky since I last looked at this?  I ask 'cause I'm looking at it with a different monitor.  The background is beginning to compete more with the foreground, imo.  Also it looks like Sonja's hair is bleeding to the right a lot.  I kind of liked how it looked before, but its up to you.

Nah, I left the sky alone. It's just a difference in the monitor probably. I think the part you mean about her hair is the sunlight on the bottom panel. I will fix that up soon, it is rather messy and stands out too much now that I look closely. I appreciate the dilegence.

Serpico

Whew, this one was a lot of work. I might take it a little further later after I study some new techniques, but I am pretty happy with it for now.

EDIT: re-uploaded a new version
group_coloration.jpg

Serpico

Rhombaad said:
Nice, I like it.  Evarella is a little too bright, though.  Otherwise, good work. :serpico:

Thanks. I tweaked them a little, you might have to refresh. I kinda like them overly bold and vivid but I'll wait till i can find a better method.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Hey Serpico, nice post! This is a great page to have colored
Some crits:

My original observation on the coloring was that it is very flat. In terms of color and value everything (trees, people, elves) are on the same level. Something can be done to push the background back and bring some variation to the foreground elements.

Skin tone could use some work. Everyone seems rather pale (Isidro looks like he could use some rest). Some reds and other subtle colors (along with highlights) could help this out.

Overall I think you need to pick a color palette to set the scene. What time of day is it? Whats the weather like? What kind of mood can the colors help portray? These sorts of things make all the difference.
Best of luck. This page has some great potential.

Looks good to me, although as CnC mentioned, the skin tones good use a little more color and why is two elves only one color?

Still your work looks good and I really like the other color jobs you did :serpico:

Serpico

CnC said:
My original observation on the coloring was that it is very flat.  In terms of color and value everything (trees, people, elves) are on the same level.  Something can be done to push the background back and bring some variation to the foreground elements. Skin tone could use some work.  Everyone seems rather pale (Isidro looks like he could use some rest).  Some reds and other subtle colors (along with highlights) could help this out.

Overall I think you need to pick a color palette to set the scene.  What time of day is it?  Whats the weather like?  What kind of mood can the colors help portray?  These sorts of things make all the difference.
Best of luck.  This page has some great potential.

Thanks for the dilegence as always. I agree with with you on your points. This picture, because of the trees was a bit difficult. I need to find a good method for doing lighting that is breaking through the trees. Once I implement some definite lighting and know its direction I will add the final shading to give the group more depth.

As far as a color scheme I'll have to work on my technique for that too. I think this scene is in early morning. I pretty much finished what I could beyond experimenting and learning new things. If you (or anyone) have any good ideas about that or the light feel free to indicate them on a copy of it.

Shadowkin said:
Looks good to me, although as CnC mentioned, the skin tones good use a little more color and why is two elves only one color?

Still your work looks good and I really like the other color jobs you did :serpico:

Thanks, I'll work on the elves and skin too. The elves are 2 colors but it is still subtle.

I appreciate all the input fellas.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Serpico said:
Thanks. I tweaked them a little, you might have to refresh. I kinda like them overly bold and vivid but I'll wait till i can find a better method.

Nice, they fit a lot better with the rest of the picture.

Top Bottom