Where's the queen theme!?

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
So I know nothing about the classic Flash Gordon stuff... but I'm pleased with this new scifi show. Except wheres the old queen theme promissed in the comercials? Maybe they'll actualy have an opening next week.

I didn't notice them ever call Dr. Hans Zarkov by name...

Anyway, thoughts?

S

Sanguinius

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Gordon_(2007_TV_series)

http://www.scifi.com/flashgordon/

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Pilot was terrible.

Don't make the mistake I made -- use the time wisely and on something that won't damage brain sells.... The "sells" thing was intentional.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Uriel said:
Pilot was terrible.

Don't make the mistake I made -- use the time wisely and on something that won't damage brain sells.... The "sells" thing was intentional.
I think being good good would have been a bastardization of the source material.... but I admit, I don't know much about the source. That I'm even aware of it is mostly because of Big O.

My expectations are about on the level of a B movie. Are you expecting the same of this as V for Vendetta or Army of Darkness?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I didn't see it because it looked like a bucket of Sci-Fi channel shit, I'm familiar with Flash because my father loved the serials as a kid and even has all the DVDs now. He apparently wasn't any more inspired by the ads than I was, again, it's a Sci-Fi channel original, so what hope is there for it? =)

Anyway, Flash Gordon did inspire Star Wars (the original trilogy) among other things, so I think THAT'S the level my father would want to see it done on. An unrealistic proposition obviously, but anything can be done seriously and well (and plenty of lesser material is given better treatment). And, unlike the movie, which was satirically bad, this just looks... bad bad. BTW, Army of Darkness is in no way an example of what isn't a B movie, it's a good movie, a favorite, but with a capital B in front of it. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith No More! said:
Anyway, Flash Gordon did inspire Star Wars (the original trilogy) among other things, so I think THAT'S the level my father would want to see it done on.

Yeah, Flash Gordon is a pretty cool series and there's certainly something good to be done with it assuming people make an effort. That new series looks like shit, I'd rather even watch the 90's animated series.

I don't remember too much about the original Flash Gordon other than the Queen theme (FLASH...OOOOOOOOH)...and him flying around on...whatever it was that he was riding a lot?
As for the Star Wars influence, hasn't George Lucas gone from blatantly admitting Flash/Star Trek/Seven Samurai influences down to "Yeah, I made the word "jedi" up in my sleep" attitude? Well, he is George Lucas, not like he can't pretend he made Star Wars up.

For Flash, the pilot did suck. It didn't even have Queen, but the pilot bored me instantly, therefore, its not even worthy of Queen to begin with. See Highlander and its awesome self for a whole soundtrack of Queen.
The Norse Gods made it. And yes, it is a documentary.

Back on track...I didn't like what I saw from the pilot, and as said it just has that "SCI FI" show quality that makes me turn chunks. Oh well, at least they show Street Fighter II V on ani-monday, which as it stands is doing more for me than AS is at the moment.

KazigluBey said:
I thought it was The Hidden Fortress, not Seven Samurai, that inspired Lucas? :???:
Hidden Fortress to my knowledge is the primary influence in the sense of the whole sister/daughter big impending doom machine mission and the whole quintessential plot, but I do remember seeing SS pop up at least once as a tie in reference by him. Maybe he just meant as a general "Kurosawa" nod versus direct influence.

Top Bottom