Berserk and Silent Hill

Hello and thanks for accepting my membership request.

I am new to Berserk. I started with the anime in 2016 (97s and 2016s) but I abandoned it because I didn't want to wait for the continuation. The 2016s anime was not all yet out (I didn't come to see Guts and Casca's reunion). I came back to Berserk this summer and, well, it was a journey... or two. Maybe four.

Anyway, as much as this story moved me I got the feeling I've felt that emotion before. Then, while I was listening to Berserk's OST, I thought about how much Gut's theme reminds me of Akira Yamaoka and, specifically, Silent Hill 2. Another story which moved me deeply.

I thought Gut's theme can perfectly be "James Sunderland's theme". Personally, I find interesting parallels between Guts and James, especially, in their relationships with Casca and Mary/Maria. I can empathize on the sadness, guilt and remorse they might be feeling. I also think there is a parallel in their sexual frustration. See Guts in vol.23 when he attacked Casca. When I saw that scene, the first thing I thought about was James Sunderland doing the thing on the tape (no spoilers, if you know, you know).

So, to those who've played SH2: did you at any point make this association?

And finally, let me know your thoughts about the pair: beast of darkness vs. Pyramid head. I'd love shipping these two.

Thank you!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hi and welcome!

To answer your question directly... I played Silent Hill and its sequels back when they came out and have fond memories of them, but I've never associated them with Berserk, musically or otherwise. The most memorable music I associate with that series will forever be SH1's main theme with the guitar.

And finally, let me know your thoughts about the pair: beast of darkness vs. Pyramid head. I'd love shipping these two.

I wouldn't say there's much to compare between the two, honestly. Sorry, I'm probably not the best audience for this sort of stuff!

Thanks for your reply.

The most memorable music I associate with that series will forever be SH1's main theme with the guitar.
I understand that. It is a great piece.

I think of the Theme of Laura when thinking of SH. I have only played the 2 and 4.

I wouldn't say there's much to compare between the two, honestly.
The beast as a manifestation of Gut's malice and trauma vs. Pyramid head as the embodiment of James'. I find this concept very beautiful. I think they compare though in deeper levels, they might deviate from each other. The fight against oneself is another point of conjunction.

Sorry, I'm probably not the best audience for this sort of stuff!
Edit because I was thinking about SH2, about the remake and all, and revisited your reply. I realized I expressed myself quite poorly about the beast and pyramid head. What I wanted to say was: I'd love hearing more input to hopefully draw more parallels between those two.

I am not interested in writing shipping. I am not a good writer... but well, now that I mention it... :beast:

Last edited:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
The most memorable music I associate with that series will forever be SH1's main theme with the guitar.
That's one hell of a theme too.

The beast as a manifestation of Gut's malice and trauma vs. Pyramid head as the embodiment of James'. I find this concept very beautiful. I think they compare though in deeper levels, they might deviate from each other. The fight against oneself is another point of conjunction.
The only thing I can think of between the two is that they both have a basis in psychology (kind of?). But the Beast is much more than just Guts' imaginary frienemy, and Pyramid Head isn't really an embodiment of James rather it is a projection of James' guilt/wrath being projected by the gods of Silent Hill.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
If all you mean is that pyramid head and the beast are both manifestations of negative aspects of Guts/James' urges, then sure they're quite similar. But as Bob has already said quite well, they each represent something very different.

If all you mean is that pyramid head and the beast are both manifestations of negative aspects of Guts/James' urges, then sure they're quite similar. But as Bob has already said quite well, they each represent something very different.
Yes; that is what I meant. One of the things I thought about when I saw the BoD was Pyramid Head.

Pyramid Head isn't really an embodiment of James rather it is a projection of James' guilt/wrath being projected by the gods of Silent Hill.
Fair point.

Top Bottom