Best RGP ever?

D

Drachenfels

Perhaps so, but I’d say stepping away from FFVIII in any direction is automatically a plus; it’s an inescapable sinkhole of role-playing game mediocrity.  A completely streamlined, straight-forward, mass-market RPG designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Don’t believe me? You need look no further than the simplified interface, paper thin plot, and of course, the awful, awful characters (with the exception of Luguna Loire); it was like playing Final Fantasy 90210. If you want me to elaborate on my claims, I’d be more than happy to, but if you’re really an avid FFVIII fan…I don’t recommend it.  

-Griffith

P.S. In it’s defense, the opening FMV was quite impressive. ;)

Ok, looks like I have to defend FFVIII.
The gameplay was GREAT. It was very straigthforward. I can't remember a part where it was boring and where I had no lust to go on. I always wanted to go on and learn more about the characters and the story.
The characters themselves were better developed then in any other FF. They actually had personality and I cared for them, which I can't say about the monkey boy's band in IX and the blonde sayija-jin's gang in VII. I also liked the rather western-looking style of the characters. They had good design, very fitting in the more technical advanced world of VIII, which also had a awesome design, especially Ragnarok. It was overall the most beautiful game of the whole series(din't play the 10th part). If you like the ugly and disgusting SD-style of the 9th part, VIII wasn't for you.
The story was also very good. Of course, most FF fans were turned off that the story wasn't a wannabe-epic-explain-the-sense-of-life-story like the 7th and 9th part. I liked it, because it had a very good flow, and the game succeded to bring me the characters near and entertain me. I never expected a supa-epic story like in the previous part, but a story more centered around the characters and their feelings. That's what I liked about it; the characters actually live, and I got a deep sympahty for them. Overall, FF VIII had the best characterisation of the whole series, and certainly the best main hero of the whole series.
Oh, and why is VIII any more Beverly Hills 90210-like then the other parts? A non-FF fan would say that all parts are incredible over-dramatically and soap-opera-ed(that are mostly people who like western RPGs more then japanese ones).
The magic system was the second-best, only the 7th parts materia-system was better. It was easy to learn, and had great possibilities. The 9th part's "equipment teaches you to use abilities"-system was utter crap compared to that.

To simplify it: FF7 and 9 were great, and FF9 was the greatest piece of shit ever made by Square, and the creators of FF9 should be sacrificed to the god hand.

Ok, looks like I have to defend FFVIII.
*cracks knuckles*

The gameplay was GREAT. It was very straigthforward.
Thus making it extremely innovative, of course.

The characters themselves were better developed then in any other FF. They actually had personality and I cared for them, which I can't say about the monkey boy's band in IX and the blonde sayija-jin's gang in VII.
I guess Terra, Locke, Edgar, Shadow, Relm, Strago, Mog, Celes, Cid, Kefka, Cecil, Kain, Golbez, FuSoYa, Rosa, Rydia, Edge, Tellah, Edward, Yang, Palom and Porom, Gau, Sabin and the other few characters that inhabited the Final Fantasy series had no personality at all? They were all cookie-cutter characters, weren't they?

I also liked the rather western-looking style of the characters. They had good design
Characters that looked very very similar just with different hairstyles does not constitute 'good design.'

If you like the ugly and disgusting SD-style of the 9th part, VIII wasn't for you.
Uh, how does -this- defend FF8 exactly?

The story was also very good.
From what I remember of it, it certainly was, especially when put beside a block of swiss cheese.

Overall, FF VIII had the best characterisation of the whole series, and certainly the best main hero of the whole series.
Thankfully, opinions are just that.

Oh, and why is VIII any more Beverly Hills 90210-like then the other parts?

The magic system was the second-best, only the 7th parts materia-system was better. It was easy to learn, and had great possibilities.
DRAW DRAW DRAW DRAW, REFINE, repeat, thx bye. Oh yeah, then use GF repeatedly. A winnar is yuo.

The 9th part's "equipment teaches you to use abilities"-system was utter crap compared to that.
Despite it only requiring a few extra button taps every once in a while, and being simply the opposite off FF8's system, it was well implemented.

To simplify it: FF7 and 8 were great, and FF9 was the greatest piece of shit ever made by Square, and the creators of FF9 should be sacrificed to the god hand.
I repeat: Thankfully opinions are just that. Opinions...

D

Drachenfels

Thus making it extremely innovative, of course.

For a FF, they were originall. They weren't the same standard anime-figures of the previous parts. Problems with something new?

I guess Terra, Locke, Edgar, Shadow, Relm, Strago, Mog, Celes, Cid, Kefka, Cecil, Kain, Golbez, FuSoYa, Rosa, Rydia, Edge, Tellah, Edward, Yang, Palom and Porom, Gau, Sabin and the other few characters that inhabited the Final Fantasy series had no personality at all?  They were all cookie-cutter characters, weren't they?

Why do you gues that? I just said that FF VIII's characters were far better flashed out and developed then any other characters of the series.
Sorry if I don't find any nostalgic value in the pre-FFVII parts, I just played them on an emulator.

Characters that looked very very similar just with different hairstyles does not constitute 'good design.'

Similar? They looked like normal humans, not like SD-figures or manga/anime-figures. If they all look the same to you, then you just need eyeglasses.

Uh, how does -this- defend FF8 exactly?

I meant that if you don't like a realistic style, FFVIII maybe isn't suited for you.

From what I remember of it, it certainly was, especially when put beside a block of swiss cheese.

Any arguments with what you can back up your opinion?

Thankfully, opinions are just that.

Wow! Another well stated answer with zero depth!

DRAW DRAW DRAW DRAW, REFINE, repeat, thx bye.  Oh yeah, then use GF repeatedly.  A winnar is yuo.

Of course the ability/magic system of the other parts wasn't repetive ;)

Despite it only requiring a few extra button taps every once in a while, and being simply the opposite off FF8's system, it was well implemented.

You pick up armor and items that aren't shown on the characters(except weapons), and use their magic over and over.
A   :Dvery good :D system.

I repeat: Thankfully opinions are just that.  Opinions...

Yes, just imagine what would be if opinions like yours  would coutn. I tremble at the thought.

Top Bottom