FFVII: Advent Children

CowTip said:
I still don't get the hate for this movie. Again, the original version I could understand, but the extended version was really a pleasure for me to watch. I can't help but think that the people who dismiss the movie just didn't like Final Fantasy 7 in the first place, which makes me wonder why they'd be watching this movie anyway, or only saw the original version. Plot-wise the movie was solid. Crisis core and Advent Children really brought Final Fantasy 7 into a complete full circle.

So people have their own opinions, respect it. :femto: I for one didn't really enjoy this movie but I loved Final Fantasy VII for the PS1, I thought it was an amazing game brought into the Final Fantasy series, I just didn't see the need for this movie.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
CowTip said:
I still don't get the hate for this movie. Again, the original version I could understand, but the extended version was really a pleasure for me to watch. I can't help but think that the people who dismiss the movie just didn't like Final Fantasy 7 in the first place, which makes me wonder why they'd be watching this movie anyway, or only saw the original version.

In all fairness, I never have seen the extended edition, though I can't imagine more of it would make it better.
gutsbarf.gif

Also, I don't like FF7, I feel some kind of sick twisted nostalgic love for Final Fantasy VII, which is why I hate this mediocre disservice to it so much, and similarly wonder, as you do about people in my position, if they truly like FF7, or just like liking it, and any crap associated with it. Then again, my feelings for this subject in general aren't nearly so strong now, I look back at my posts in here detached and bemused, as if this was a different, albeit more entertaining, person. =)

I'm basically going through the motions here. See below.

CowTip said:
Plot-wise the movie was solid. Crisis core and Advent Children really brought Final Fantasy 7 into a complete full circle.

I don't know about that, but it definitely took it in a circle. :troll:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
I still don't get the hate for this movie.

"This will always be as different people have different opinions on what they find the most enjoyable. You'll never be able to please everyone all the time. It's not a whole lot different than the people who claim "This is awesome!" It's a personal opinion that's almost equally worthless and unless you want to get rid of one type it'll be hard to get rid of the other."

CowTip said:
I can't help but think that the people who dismiss the movie just didn't like Final Fantasy 7 in the first place, which makes me wonder why they'd be watching this movie anyway, or only saw the original version. Plot-wise the movie was solid. Crisis core and Advent Children really brought Final Fantasy 7 into a complete full circle.

What are the differences between the standard and extended versions? Because personally, while I enjoyed FFVII when it came out, I didn't find the original release of Advent Children to be very good (and it would take a lot of work to change that). Also, saying the folks not enjoying the movie must also hate the game is more than a bit ridiculous.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Walter said:
I actually found an interview with the choreographer for Advent Children on YouTube. Guy has some revolutionary ideas, I thought. Check it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrYRPdn5YXc
Walter... you're amazing. I think that same guy did the work on Dissidia: Final Fantasy as well.

Aazealh said:
"This will always be as different people have different opinions on what they find the most enjoyable. You'll never be able to please everyone all the time. It's not a whole lot different than the people who claim "This is awesome!" It's a personal opinion that's almost equally worthless and unless you want to get rid of one type it'll be hard to get rid of the other."

While it's true that it would be foolish to expect everyone to like the movie, there's a difference between something being outright bad and showing personal distaste for something. At least in the context that I made that statement, I by no means thought that people who were complaining about the current events of the story hated Berserk as a whole or even thought Miura was doing a poor job, but just weren't comfortable with the current pacing (as pointed out in that thread, that may not be the case as if it's perpetual complaining by repeated parties, it sort of blows that theory out of the water). I stand by the opinion that Advent Children was not a poorly made movie (Once the extended version was out. I've said it a million times but I have to continue to reiterate that the original movie is nothing compared to the extended version).

Also, saying the folks not enjoying the movie must also hate the game is more than a bit ridiculous.

For the record, I'm not saying everyone who disliked the movie hated FF7, however there's a large camp of people who claim to absolute despise the game to the point of repeatedly proclaiming their hate of it and as such take every opportunity to bash on anything related to it. Considering the amount of work (They spent a few years in production) that went into making the movie, the graphical detail (that while may not look 'as' nice today as it did when it was originally released, it still is really well done, especially when watched on Blu-Ray) and the faithfulness to the original story, I just don't see how anyone could legitimately say that it was outright terrible.

As for changes from the original release and the extended version:

In the original Advent Children, we were basically given nothing more than a confusing mash up of action scenes with a few even more confusing dialogue scenes that add up to not much more than an excuse to throw random characters on the screen and cash in. I'll be the first to admit that there isn't much more to it than that. I enjoyed this original release to some degree, but more just for the fan service rather than to say that it was actually a worthwhile investment of time for anyone expecting anything else.

The extended version adds around 30 minutes to the movie that practically change the entire experience. Out of these 30 added minutes, almost all the time is spent in continued dialogues and character development. Almost every confusing plot point that made no sense is shown to light and you begin to realize that there's actually some point behind the story in relation to Final Fantasy 7 (especially if you played Crisis Core and understand the importance of the events before FF7). I admit, I was skeptical that they could do much to add to the movie too, but after watching it, I was stunned at what they'd accomplished by adding those 30 minutes. I'll go into these details below, spoilered for those who don't want to see it. Both Crisis Core and Advent Children can indeed be considered irrelevant to the main story of FF7. They more flesh out the backstory that's explained in the game and wrap up a few loose ends that the game leaves vague. All these stories do is expand on an already more or less completed product, which is part of why I enjoy these additions so much. I like having the chance of looking deeper into the motivations behind these characters to see why things went down the way they did in Final Fantasy 7.

Warning, this is... really long... and written at 4 AM.
Throughout FF7, much of the plot revolves around events that took place before the current plot began. The story involving Zack and Sephiroth and SOLDIER and everything that put the events of FF7 into motion are an integral point in the story and what more or less turns out to be the biggest twist in the game. Crisis Core reveals the life of Zack as he works his way up the SOLDIER ladder. The game plays much into the attitudes and beliefs that Zack holds and the struggles he had to fight through before his untimely end at the hands of the company he had striven so hard to succeed in. In this story we're introduced to a very different Cloud than we see throughout much of Final Fantasy 7, a more or less normal guy with big aspirations, but no courage or grit to pull them off. As shown in FF7 and Crisis Core, Cloud is captured by Hojo due to the events at Nibelheim and Sephiroth's turn from sanity. and tested on with extreme mako radiation that leaves him in an almost coma like stupor. Zack, who was much more powerful than Cloud (or maybe he wasn't tested as harshly, I can't recall) pulled through this situation and made it his goal to save Cloud's life from a now hostile Shinra. Beset on all sides by enemies, Zack decides to head back to Midgar in an attempt to meet up with Aerith where he's gunned down. Cloud, still half beset by his stupor comes across a dying Zack who tells him to live his life for him and gives him the Buster Sword. Cloud takes this advice a little too seriously however.

Fast forward a few weeks and Cloud has completely assumed the role of Zack with a bit of Cloud's own confused insecurities mixed in. He acts cool, he outwardly tries to show that he's in complete control and more or less gets caught up in the events of FF7 by accident (It's shown that Sephiroth is using him as a tool, but Cloud himself wasn't really looking to get involved in all of this). Cloud more or less is Zack throughout all of FF7 up until the point where he's lost in the lifestream. After being stuck in yet another mako induced coma, he's brought back by Tifa and his real identity finally comes to bear. Cloud realizes that he's been living a lie and that all the amazing accomplishments he'd claimed to have partaken were actually done by his friend and role model Zack. Cloud attempts to take life into his own hands again, but is still caught up by the events of Sephiroth. Cloud decides to end things once and for all with Sephiroth for using Cloud and for starting the events that led to Zack's execution in hopes of vindicating himself from what he sees as events he could have prevented. Cloud slashes up Sephiroth and Final Fantasy 7 ends with a large question mark as to what happens to the characters outside of the fact that the planet is saved.

Advent Children begins by showing what's happened in the 2 years following the end of Final Fantasy 7. Cloud began living life as a courier while living with Tifa in her new bar. All the other characters have spread out to do their own thing (Yuffie rebuilding her hometown, Cid his airships, Cait Sith helping the refugees of Migar and Barret out looking for a new source of energy since Mako can't be used and Vincent is off doing... Vincent things.) While Barret is away, he leaves Marlene in the care of Tifa (funny enough, Barret mentions that he's discovered oil. From one bad energy source for the planet to another?). Unfortunately for everyone though, when Sephiroth was killed in what was basically the lifestream's core, he left an influence so strong on the planet that it became a disease (Geostigma) that was spread when the lifestream spread across the globe to stop Meteor. Lots of people are sick and dying, including a lot of children and it's especially bad in Midgar where the lifestream was at it's most concentrated. These children are feared and hated as it seems that Geostigma is contagious. Through flashbacks shown in the extended version, we are told the story of one such child who suffered from the disease named Denzel.

Denzel is an orphan who's parents were killed when the sector 7 plate fell during the events in FF7. Cloud, who's still beset by guilt over the death of Aerith makes it a point to hang out at the church where Aerith used to gather her flowers. One day while out at the church, Cloud comes across Denzel sneaking into Cloud's possessions on his motorcycle (he's attempting to call his home, a desperate attempt by a kid who's all alone to reach out to people no longer there). Cloud takes pity on Denzel and takes him to Tifa's bar to take care of him. Unfortunately, Cloud himself becomes affected by Geostigma in the process. (It may be possible that Cloud had Geostigma before this moment and that's why he takes pity on him, this is explained in the movie, but it's been a few months since I've seen it so forgive my inconsistencies.)

Not wanting to worry anyone and pledging to find a cure for Denzel's geostigma, Cloud sets out on his own, though with no real direction. This bothers Tifa as all she wants is for Cloud to realize that he doesn't have to do everything by himself, but Cloud is still reeling from the deaths of Zack and Aerith. While he's out one day, Cloud is attacked by three men. During this fight, it's shown that these men are looking for 'mother' and they believe that Cloud knows where she is. After escaping from them, Cloud meets with Rufus (who survived the attack by weapon on Midgar) who explains that after the meteor crisis, the Turks were sent to the north crater to search for anything left behind by the final encounter in FF7. While they are there, they come across a leftover part of Jenova (In Final Fantasy 7, Sephiroth spends a lot of time spreading pieces of Jenova all over the land, leaving only the head with him at the end). However, while they're in the crater, the Turks come under attack by the same people who attacked Cloud just before. It turns out that these people are leftover images of Sephiroth created by his ultimate will to live. They're basically fragmented pieces of Sephiroth's being given life as Sephiroth's last ditch effort to survive as he was passing on to the lifestream. These beings have only one purpose, and that's to come into contact with Jenova's leftover cells so that Sephiroth could once again merge with them (Sephiroth was made up of Jenova cells) and basically pull himself back from the brink of death.

Cloud returns to Tifa after this meeting to discover that many children suffering from Geostigma have been kidnapped by the three Sephiroth minions prompting him to set off and find them. Before he leaves to do this however, Tifa confronts him about his problems and pleads with him to stop running away from the people he cares about. Cloud tells her he's been uneasy about his life having no direct purpose after learning his borrowed life from Zack wasn't his own, but that he's finding purpose in Denzel and Tifa. While Cloud is out attempting to save the children, Tifa contacts the other members of the original FF7 team. Cloud is originally overwhelmed by the Sephiroth minions, partially due to the interference of the children (Who are mostly just being used as barricades) and due to the materia that they had stolen from Cloud's camp (During the fight with Tifa in the church, it's shown that all the materia Cloud had collected during FF7 was still with him). Vincent appears first on the scene and saves Cloud.

The three Sephiroth minions go to Midgar and use the children as a barrier to keep people away from a monument that they believe contains the piece of Jenova they are looking for. In an earlier scene, Rufus is threatened death if he doesn't give the location up to them, he tells them that the monument is the location. Using Cloud's materia, they summon Bahamut to speed along the process, but as they do so, the back up Tifa had called for arrived. The original members of the FF7 team start to fight against Bahamut, but are only able to stave him off for awhile. Cloud arrives on the scene and finishes it off with the help from his friends, but not before the Sephiroth minions realize that Jenova is not being stored in the monument. Furious they go to confront Rufus who they are holding captive. Rufus basically makes the claim that he was holding out for Cloud to show up to take care of business and reveals that he had the piece of Jenova the entire time. he tosses it off the side of the building he's being held captive in and a chase ensues after Kadaj snags it.

Initially trying to believe that he is not just a puppet, Kadaj is reluctant to merge with the Jenova cells, but as Cloud is overwhelming him, he finally gives in. Sephiroth resurrected as per his original plans, he once again fights Cloud, though this time they are both on an equal playing field. The other members muse about trying to help Cloud, but realize that over the last two years while they have been focusing on other things and losing much of their fighting instincts, Cloud has remained in top notch form the entire time, thus they would only be in the way.

Cloud overcomes Sephiroth's taunting and shows that he will always be above Sephiroth's influences and defeats him again with the help of Zack's influence. Sephiroth's last words remind Cloud that because of the nature of the lifestream, he'll never be completely gone. Beset by grief that Kadaj is dead and their plans are failed, the remaining two Sephiroth minions hurl themselves on Cloud in a suicidal last attempt. They're more or less successful, however, with Sephiroth's remaining influence that was holding back the healing powers of the lifestream finally removed, Aerith intervenes and heals Cloud, telling him that it's not yet his time to go. From a wound in the ground during the fights with the Sephiroth minion, water seeps up from the ground that now contains the cure to Geostigma (again due to Sephiroth diminishing). Cloud gets a vision of a happy Zack reunited with Aerith, finally accepting their death and taking some of the blame of his own shoulders and makes the claim that now is the time that he begins to live his life for himself and his new family (Notably Tifa and Denzel).

Does it add a whole lot to FF7? Sure, not really. Is it even really necessary? Some would argue yes, some no. Some people are happy with an ambiguous ending such as the one FF7 left us with, but Advent children wrapped up every major remaining plot line that the original game failed to answer and did it well. I would honestly like to know what part of the story really puts people off so much that was completely out of line with the rest of the plot from the original game. I believe it would help me understand some of the gripes a little better, because where I'm standing right now, it was executed fairly well.

I would argue that Dirge of Cerberus was a better definition of a fan service cash in. It reeks of being a separate game and story that they splashed the FF7 name on in the attempt to sell more copies. Advent Children acts like an epilogue to FF7 for the people who were dissatisfied with the ambiguous ending of FF7. Don't get me wrong, I know Square is becoming the king of milking their franchises, but time and time again I'm finding myself satisfied with the products they deliver. I don't see expansions on franchises poorly as long as they remain more or less faithful to the source material.

I'd again like to know what exactly people thought made the movie bad. Was it the action scenes? They seemed well enough made to me. Consider the craziness of the source material before calling something like the super jump scene ridiculous. For the most part, they even got the combat right as far as I can see. They had limit breaks, materia usage, summons... what more could someone ask for? The plot and pacing is confusing? That issue was dealt with by the extended version and I guarantee there's nothing so crazy in the plot that wasn't already outdone by FF7. The cinematography is bad? I'm not a film buff so I can't really comment here, but it mostly looked good to me and outside of some sometimes stiff looking characters, I haven't heard of many people who've truly complained about the animation itself.

Just because something was made as a cash in for the fans, if it's well enough made, I don't really see the issue. Everyone wins in this case.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
there's a difference between something being outright bad and showing personal distaste for something.

Still got the knack for banalities I see. So, who draws the line between what is objectively "outright bad" and what is just "personal distaste" here? You, right?

CowTip said:
At least in the context that I made that statement, I by no means thought that people who were complaining about the current events of the story hated Berserk as a whole or even thought Miura was doing a poor job, but just weren't comfortable with the current pacing (as pointed out in that thread, that may not be the case as if it's perpetual complaining by repeated parties, it sort of blows that theory out of the water).

"At least" nothing. Shit, considering how recurrent and inconsistent the whining is in general, it would make more sense to say Berserk just isn't for certain people (idiots with bad taste and an attention-disorder :iva:) than to say the detractors of Advent Children must be hating FF7. And let's be very clear: your comment in the Episode 307 thread was inappropriate not just because of your lack of background knowledge on the issue but also because you were generally defending what amounts to shitposts. Now let's please close this parenthesis if you don't mind, because I don't think it will be very productive otherwise.

CowTip said:
I stand by the opinion that Advent Children was not a poorly made movie (Once the extended version was out. I've said it a million times but I have to continue to reiterate that the original movie is nothing compared to the extended version).

What of all the people who called the movie "genius" right from the start, though? Wouldn't they tell you it's your personal distaste, it takes all sorts, to each his own, your mileage may vary and other such wonderful things? And let's be honest, most of us here haven't seen the extended version. We saw the regular version and it sucked, so why would we have bought the extended version? I'm sure you can see why things are the way they are. You probably should have worded your post around that fact and not the way you did.

CowTip said:
For the record, I'm not saying everyone who disliked the movie hated FF7, however there's a large camp of people who claim to absolute despise the game to the point of repeatedly proclaiming their hate of it and as such take every opportunity to bash on anything related to it.

I'm sure these people exist somewhere out there, but I don't remember seeing any around here, and so I don't see why we should care. The point of view exposed in this thread from the very beginning has rather been that the movie didn't do the game honor.

CowTip said:
Considering the amount of work (They spent a few years in production) that went into making the movie, the graphical detail (that while may not look 'as' nice today as it did when it was originally released, it still is really well done, especially when watched on Blu-Ray) and the faithfulness to the original story, I just don't see how anyone could legitimately say that it was outright terrible.

I think the problem is on your side then: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/final_fantasy_7_advent_children/

A Rotten Tomatoes score (33%) isn't the universal truth, but it is a good indicator of how good or bad movies are considered by most folks. And that people supposedly spent a long time working on something (and/or sank a lot of money in it) doesn't automatically make it good.

CowTip said:
As for changes from the original release and the extended version

Thanks, much appreciated (though I just wanted to know what the extended version added).

CowTip said:
Some people are happy with an ambiguous ending such as the one FF7 left us with, but Advent children wrapped up every major remaining plot line that the original game failed to answer and did it well.

I guess that is where we disagree. I don't think FF7's ending is especially ambiguous. It's just an open ending, and it works very well.

CowTip said:
I would honestly like to know what part of the story really puts people off so much that was completely out of line with the rest of the plot from the original game.

Read the whole thread (which is what you should have done in the first place) and you should find some answers. It's been a while so I don't remember if it was discussed in other threads as well. Of course, it will all be about the original version.

Aazealh said:
Still got the knack for banalities I see. So, who draws the line between what is objectively "outright bad" and what is just "personal distaste" here? You, right?

It's more a broad statement leading to my following statement that it was of my opinion that it was not poorly made. I know people can argue that to the ends of the earth, but in my eyes, it's hard for me to personally believe that anyone could say the movie is bad on every level due to some of the things I've pointed out. Of course people will disagree with me, but so far my opinion on the matter hasn't changed.

What of all the people who called the movie "genius" right from the start, though? Wouldn't they tell you it's your personal distaste, it takes all sorts, to each his own, your mileage may vary and other such wonderful things? And let's be honest, most of us here haven't seen the extended version. We saw the regular version and it sucked, so why would we have bought the extended version? I'm sure you can see why things are the way they are. You probably should have worded your post around that fact and not the way you did.

I completely understand why people would dislike the original version. It was completely mindless and soulless. It's fair to bash Square for releasing something as half finished as the original release. I don't expect people to run out the door and snag another copy hoping it'll salvage the experience for them, however, if you are an actual fan of FF7 I'd think you'd owe it to yourself to at least give it a chance. I'm not going to say that it'll for sure make people suddenly love the movie, but it might dispel some of the original complaints.

I think the problem is on your side then: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/final_fantasy_7_advent_children/

A Rotten Tomatoes score (33%) isn't the universal truth, but it is a good indicator of how good or bad movies are considered by most folks. And that people supposedly spent a long time working on something (and/or sank a lot of money in it) doesn't automatically make it good.

To be fair, that was the original version they rated and given only the original version, I'd probably give it a similar rating. Most places I've looked to now all agree that complete improves the movie in almost every way. IMDB which is slated mostly to the original release has it rated at 7.5 over 2500 votes and Amazon has overwhelming ratings of 5 stars for the complete version. As for the time spent on the movie, yeah I'm not sure why I brought that up. Time doesn't mean quality. I was very sleepy when writing that extremely long post. I think I was trying to argue that they didn't just rush the product out the door, but seeing how unfinished the original version was, it obviously needed more time cooking.

I guess that is where we disagree. I don't think FF7's ending is especially ambiguous. It's just an open ending, and it works very well.

I could take or leave the ending personally. I spent 40+ hours with these characters, as such it was a little strange not knowing their fates. I realize there's plenty of people who relish in the mystery and the what if, but I usually like to have at least a little bit more closure, which Complete gave me satisfactorily.

Read the whole thread (which is what you should have done in the first place) and you should find some answers. It's been a while so I don't remember if it was discussed in other threads as well. Of course, it will all be about the original version.

My challenge is for people to see complete and tell me why they still dislike the movie. For me, I can't completely take people's opinions of Advent Children as worth much considering they haven't seen the whole movie without seeing the extended version. It's almost like someone discounting the entire series of Berserk as terrible when all they've seen is the anime. I've tried to only speak towards the merits of Advent Children Complete, not the original version. Perhaps I didn't clarify that point well enough. I specifically want to know people's opinions of the new version rather than the old. I wish the old version wasn't even still on the market due to it's terrible representation of what they intended to portray.

I'll admit that my original question of "Why do people hate on this movie so much" was stupid. The reason is that they've only seen the original. Again, that doesn't guarantee that they'll fall in love with the new version, but I don't see how anyone could say that it wasn't in line with the original game if they actually knew the story.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
in my eyes, it's hard for me to personally believe that anyone could say the movie is bad on every level due to some of the things I've pointed out.

It doesn't need to be bad on every level to be mediocre in general though. :slan:

CowTip said:
To be fair, that was the original version they rated and given only the original version, I'd probably give it a similar rating. Most places I've looked to now all agree that complete improves the movie in almost every way. IMDB which is slated mostly to the original release has it rated at 7.5 over 2500 votes

If I remember correctly the movie was rated close to 10 on IMDb before it even came out...

CowTip said:
I could take or leave the ending personally. I spent 40+ hours with these characters, as such it was a little strange not knowing their fates. I realize there's plenty of people who relish in the mystery and the what if, but I usually like to have at least a little bit more closure, which Complete gave me satisfactorily.

I can relate to some extent, I always wanted to know what Judge Doom really looked like under his mask. Still, I dig FF7's ending. I didn't mind imagining what everyone did afterwards too much. Different strokes for different folks (we should start a contest on these or something).

CowTip said:
For me, I can't completely take people's opinions of Advent Children as worth much considering they haven't seen the whole movie without seeing the extended version. It's almost like someone discounting the entire series of Berserk as terrible when all they've seen is the anime.

That might be going a bit far. :mozgus:

CowTip said:
I specifically want to know people's opinions of the new version rather than the old.

Well, if I ever see it I'll report in here.

There are two schools of thought pertaining to Advent Children. There are those who can accept it as mindless fanservice that recreates the template of the game or those who wanted a much more faithful embellishment of this classic game. I'm leaning more towards the latter half, I'm afraid.

Top Bottom