Frank Miller's 300

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
If you can't make it to 300, try this epic as an alternative...

http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/v2/play.php?id=77966

I'd be willing to make the case that the epic struggle between n00bs and grammar was far more developed than the characters in 300. And Skull Lord beats random goat man anyday.

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
bph said:
I'd be willing to make the case that the epic struggle between n00bs and grammar was far more developed than the characters in 300.  And Skull Lord beats random goat man anyday.

Good stuff. :guts:

At any rate, I wasn't expecting it to be historically acurate in any way, that's why I wasn't suprised or dissapointed by it's execution.

By the way Aaz, the remake of the 300 spartans is in production right now and due out sometime next year. It's based on the historical facts, so you'll probably like that better.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Locus of Agony said:
By the way Aaz, the remake of the 300 spartans is in production right now and due out sometime next year. It's based on the historical facts, so you'll probably like that better.

Is there nobody anymore that read threads before posting in them? I don't care about historical accuracy. I've read the Miller comic book years ago. You lose 10 posts.

Femto the Raven

I DID READ THE THREAD!!! Aazealh...sir. :serpico:

I was merely under the immpression you'd have enjoyed it better if it at least tried to be historically accurate, and thus may like a supposedly historically acurate film based on the same events. I based this merely on your replies and cautions in this thread and no real logic or knowledge. Which was my mistake.

Sorry for misunderstanding, misinforming, or whatever else I did.

Umm...is this where I thank you for ripping me a new one? :void:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Locus of Agony said:
I DID READ THE THREAD!!! Aazealh...sir.

Well you should have read more carefully then. :puck:

Locus of Agony said:
I was merely under the immpression you'd have enjoyed it better if it at least tried to be historically accurate

No, I couldn't care less about it. It's not something I expect from Hollywood, much less from something based on Miller's work, with its barely concealed reactionism and all.

Femto the Raven

Aazealh said:
Well you should have read more carefully then. :puck:

Yes Sir! :guts:

Dispensing with the historic accuracy of the film, I actually liked the movie's added plot line(s) and thought it improved over the orginal GN.
Queen Gorgo's plight was interesting, and I think the movie benefited from the extra angle to the action.

I would have liked a little insight to the various spartan warriors so they had a little more indivduality, but what was there, was great. (The commander and his son, etc.)

CnC

Ad Oculos
Well, I just came back from seeing the movie. I give it a B+.

I found it wierd/interesting how the first half hour was dedicated to how much it sucked to be Spartan but the rest was making the Spartan life as the ideal (die for the freedom to be a slave to Spartan law).

But the visuals and action were top notch.

I guess I'm the only one who liked 300 than? Every one else seems to have something against it one way or the other. :judo:

Does any one know if Mr.Miller announced any more works to come?

Update I posted too soon. It would seem I'm not the only one who liked it. It seems every one else kinda liked it.

Death May Die said:
I guess I'm the only one who liked 300 than? Every one else seems to have something against it one way or the other. :judo:

Update I posted too soon. It would seem I'm not the only one who liked it. It seems every one else kinda liked it.

I liked.

By the way, keep an eye out for Sin City 2.

Femto the Raven

Death May Die said:

Yeah, most everyone "kinda" liked it. Heck, if a discerning guy like CNC gave it a B+, it's at least worth your time. Most of us are pointing out that it didn't live up to the hype (psst most movies can't and don't) and that it was more of a fun time movie then an unrivaled cinematic masterpiece.

I stand by my orginal opinion that is was an excellent film that I can't wait to add to my collection.

I wouldn't say the first half hour was potraying the Spartan lifestyle in a negative. Of course, it sucked, but that was the ideal those people lived with, that only the strong survived. As noted it was "always a hard time for a spartan mother" but it was the accepted custom and prepared the young spartan for his life in the real world.

You know, kind of like how high school freshmen are prepared for the real world by having their heads dunked in toilets. :void:

Death May Die said:

I saw an episode of Icons dedicated to Miller, and he said himself his next plans are to make a film based on Will Eisner’s The Spirit.

aufond said:
I saw an episode of Icons dedicated to Miller, and he said himself his next plans are to make a film based on Will Eisner’s The Spirit.
Still find it ironic that Miller wasn't exactly keen on Hollywood, now in less than a decade (potentially half that) he'll have
Sin City
Sin City 2
The Spirit

Given 3 of the 4 are his own works, anyways...lol, Miller.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
It's more ironic to me that these movies have been successful as they have. Though you could give Miller partial credit for the Batman film franchise (particularly, and most importantly, the good Batman movies). Not sure how he's going to do a movie adaptation himself, though. Like, what will his role in the production be? Screenplay? Producer? As far as I know he's never directed a movie that wasn't actually directed by Robert Rodriguez. =)

P.S. Why are we supposed to "keep an eye out for Sin City 2" now? It was announced right after the first one, but still hasn't been filmed; so, not much more to be on the look out for since then. Keep an eye out for Sin City 3!

Griffith No More! said:
Though you could give Miller partial credit for the Batman film franchise (particularly, and most importantly, the good Batman movies).
To a -fine- degree I concur. He was a huge basis in Burton's film (which in turn I guess lead to Returns) and obviously with Year One's impact on Batman Begins, but my problem is that this in turn set about a decade (comic wise) of "Badass Batman."

I was introduced to the Batman in the 70s comics (even though I was born in 86 yes I know) and this Batman more than anything was "Heroic", being selfless and noble. During the late 80s and 90s post miller (namely DKR), Batman shifted over to being a pessimistic selfish badass, and lost many of his heroic traits in favor of casting him as dark and on the edge. That's why I'm glad Batman Begins found a medium between "classic" and "Miller", versus painting everything black. As for The Dark Knight, I hear it's being based on the Long Halloween, and if so...well, it's my favorite Bat-work ever.
Griffith No More! said:
P.S. Why are we supposed to "keep an eye out for Sin City 2" now? It was announced right after the first one, but still hasn't been filmed; so, not much more to be on the look out for since then. Keep an eye out for Sin City 3!

Don't forget the prequel which fleshes out the creation of Sin City titled, Sin City:Starvin Marv
Anyways, to my knowledge they've announced the specific novels/titles for the base plan, but as you said nothing on filming.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Griffith No More! said:
Keep an eye out for Sin City 3!

I have a hard on for Hell and Back and can't wait to see it's movie version. Only that I hope Johnny depp isn't the main character, I don't think he can do it really.

Aside from that I'm still looking forward to seeing 300 some time soon.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Griffith No More! said:
If you can't make it to 300, try this epic as an alternative...

http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/v2/play.php?id=77966
They should hire you as a screenwriter Griff. I'd pay to see that movie at least 15 times. Screw BERSERK the movie, I wanna see SK.net the movie. You could even cash in and make sequels 'Skull Lord Strikes Back' and 'Return of the Admins.'

Wait, what was the original topic?

I just saw it again in Imax this time, I couldn't believe it could get any better! WATCH IT IN IMAX!!!! :guts:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
C said:
I just saw it again in Imax this time, I couldn't believe it could get any better! WATCH IT IN IMAX!!!!   :guts:

It's not showing at the Imax in Seattle. :judo: Instead, they're re-running Happy Feet...

Judo

Midlands finest
index.php

Guess a lot of people here didnt like it... and no, I didnt read the thread as Im not gonna coment on anyone really.

I loved it! Dont see many great actions movies now-a-days, usually its just a cool scene and lots of crap in between, but I enjoyed the madness-bad assery of the Spartans. I could have done without the BS stuff with his wife as it didnt really matter what-so-ever in the end, once the remaining Spartan returned and basically did the same speech over again, but in a cooler manner, not to mention it would have only focused the movie more so on the legend building of the Spartans by their own.

Ive got to say, if anyone went in there expecting historical accuracy after seeing a trailer with a fat man with blade hands, an ogre looking mofo, and a seven foot tall bald guy wearing more gold chains than Mr T.... well hell, not even gonna say anything else about that.

I will try to see it but considering what I've saw of this movie I'll be disapointed...about historical accuracy (like debated on the thread) I don't expect ANYTHING from this kind of movie but maybe because of all the negative things I've read on it I won't even be able to appreciate it anymore!
I mean I don't know if you know about "THE" interview of Frank Miller about this movie/his reac/racist reasoning simply disgust me and by the way I must say that in Iran the myth of Spart and a lot of "Occident" theories about how this battle lead to the "free world" where we live is quite well know and for an Iranian it symbolize the misconception that a lot of us(from Occident) have about the Oriental world and how biased our judgment is toward them...for those wondering why Teheran was so "passionated" for a simple movie.
Sick Sad World(I miss you Daria)
Anyway I'll try to find the famous article and post the link here.
http://www.theatlasphere.com/metablog/612.php here is a link I can't find the whole interview but from this itw it must not be so hard to found it.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Mad Angel Loki said:
about historical accuracy
It doesn't exist in this movie. Anyways a trip away from the obvious.

I thought the movie was really good. Every now and then I just want to see a good action flick and for the most part I got it. The only part I didn't like was the first time you see the queen in the city. It's just too bright and distracts from the rest of the movie. Aside from that I thought the movie was fun to watch.

Top Bottom