How do the supernatural powers in Berserk work exactly?

As the title reads
I always tried to grasp how these things worked, how is for example Femto able to force power people away from him or pull them towards him, how is this a thing?
:void: is it bs?

Its never explained but its implied the barytes element might be why

I always tried to grasp how these things worked, how is for example Femto able to force power people away from him or pull them towards him

Barytes imo are the reason why considering they are a sort of gravity thing cause that's how magic users fly also it also has negative effects on the mind depression and obsessiveness and is very weak in a place like elfhelm coincidence?....

Last edited by a moderator:
Its never explained but its implied the barytes element might be why

Barytes imo are the reason why considering they are a sort of gravity thing cause that's how magic users fly also it also has negative effects on the mind depression and obsessiveness and is very weak in a place like elfhelm coincidence?....
I'd be interested in hearing what Azal has to say about this because I dont trust this fully

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Let me start by stating the obvious: not everything needs an ultra detailed explanation. Femto has supernatural powers because he's a supernatural being. We see him undergo a potent ritual where he's basically reborn as a demon. That's how he acquires immense magical power.

With that being said, we do get a number of detailed explanations as to how magic functions in Berserk over the course of the series. The most important one is no doubt in volume 24, when the group meets Flora and Schierke, but there are other key instances like when Guts encounters the God Hand in volume 3, or during the Eclipse.

As @manvsdestiny alluded to, the concept of Barytes may have been planned by Miura as a way to integrate the "evil power" the God Hand uses within the wider framework of magic as practitioners like Schierke understand it. Below is a recap of what I speculated when it was introduced.

I believe Barytes (introduced in episode 346) may be the cosmological element behind the human-based power that the God Hand and the apostles use. It's described as being the element of weight, much tinier than the other four (too small to be seen with the naked eye) and being a sort of binding element for them. It make things heavy, but also darken the skies, causes gloominess or leads to obsessions. This is probably the most speculative part of this post, but I think it's possible that when people are filled with obsessive or negative emotions, Barytes become trapped and concentrated within the human soul. That would be a rational explanation for the "evil power" the bad guys use. And it may also have led to the Vortex's specific shape. Lastly, it's something that is antithetical to elves. Everything checks out.

Note however that this isn't guaranteed. We are shown other examples of Barytes at work in the manga (as the way to fly on a broom, and as a differentiator between the dwarves and the elves dwelling in the forest), and since Miura passed away, we might not get to know all of what he intended for it.

To me personally I prefer an explanation of how the power works otherwise I fall into the trap of comparing the work with other stuff like star wars and then it feels too cheesy for me, so thats one of the reasons I really wanna know how that stuff works because supernatural for the sake of supernatural is too overused in media

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well we do get explanations for how the supernatural works, like the aforementioned evil power that apostles and the God Hand receives. It's more a matter of how complex you want it to be. Like I said, I think Berserk does by all means give a fairly comprehensive and consistent overview of how magic works when magic practitioners are introduced. At the same time, it doesn't dwell on it uselessly, focusing instead on the cool stuff.

Let me start by stating the obvious: not everything needs an ultra detailed explanation. Femto has supernatural powers because he's a supernatural being. We see him undergo a potent ritual where he's basically reborn as a demon. That's how he acquires immense magical power.

With that being said, we do get a number of detailed explanations as to how magic functions in Berserk over the course of the series. The most important one is no doubt in volume 24, when the group meets Flora and Schierke, but there are other key instances like when Guts encounters the God Hand in volume 3, or during the Eclipse.

As @manvsdestiny alluded to, the concept of Barytes may have been planned by Miura as a way to integrate the "evil power" the God Hand uses within the wider framework of magic as practitioners like Schierke understand it. Below is a recap of what I speculated when it was introduced.

Note however that this isn't guaranteed. We are shown other examples of Barytes at work in the manga (as the way to fly on a broom, and as a differentiator between the dwarves and the elves dwelling in the forest), and since Miura passed away, we might not get to know all of what he intended for it.
Do you think its possible that Guts could somehow use this to his advantage or find a way to use that power as well?
I mean hasnt he already unless im misunderstanding it but doesnt he use the potency of his sword that is enveloped in that stuff to harm apostles or magical beings

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Do you think its possible that Guts could somehow use this to his advantage or find a way to use that power as well?
I mean hasnt he already unless im misunderstanding it but doesnt he use the potency of his sword that is enveloped in that stuff to harm apostles or magical beings

Because he's spent years slashing through evil spirits and the like, his sword has become imbued with their essence, which allows it to be harmful to ethereal bodies. A normal, purely corporeal weapon would not. It doesn't make a difference for fighting apostles because they have a corporeal body, but it allowed him to disrupt Slan's presence in the Qliphoth, as well as to dispel Ganishka's projection in Vritannis.

I've opened up my Berserk Deluxe Volume 9 because roughly from memory I thought that's where I'd find some proof of this and sure enough I found things that I was looking for with just a few page turns. IMG_20230425_091023.jpg
Then you can imagine how it would be if u weren't just in the interstice but fully there, quite a big difference I'm sure which is why the Godhand members are beyond anyone's perception.

IMG_20230425_091115.jpg

But then I also went ahead to volume 27 and at the end of the fight Flora says something interesting which my dad wrote about in his book, I haven't fully read it because its quite massive(2500 pages) but anyway the idea that this life is not the end, the changing of forms, and so on...dreams somehow being linked to this other state.
IMG_20230425_090717.jpg
I just find it very interesting how my dad's ideas and Kentaro Miura's resemble each other and perhaps they had similar ideas of the world(now I know we're talking about Berserk and not Kentaro Miura's life but similarly I've gotten these ideas from my dad's book not from his life because he passed away when I was 10).
You might not find this as interesting as I have, but its a good feeling to look for something in the berserk universe and finding it for yourself.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Then you can imagine how it would be if u weren't just in the interstice but fully there, quite a big difference I'm sure which is why the Godhand members are beyond anyone's perception.

Ethereal beings have certain limitations, though. In the God Hand's case, they can't really manifest themselves in the corporeal world in normal circumstances, resorting instead to indirect means of influencing mankind. That's why Femto's incarnation was such a big deal.

Top Bottom