How would you complete Guts' line in episode 287?

CnC said:
I don't pretend to know a lot of japanese, but I'm fairly certain that doesn't prove anything about the rest of the sentence or speech. Guts could have ended it right there or gone on in a lengthy diatribe about the average wingspan of the African swallow.
Its important to note that while its nice to wonder what Guts would have said about his relation to Casca, it wasn't narratively important at that time. What was meant and what happened was how Guts would have possibly (note: not definitely) shown affection towards Casca and that was something Farnese couldn't really handle to hear. Had it been important for Roderick (or the audience) to hear it we would have.

It could. I ask because if it ended the brief sentence in a verb it could've changed the sentence from "she is" to "she was".
It's probably not the case, I could just picture Guts saying something in past tense because that's when she was truely significant to him.

Actually, I think she's even more significant to Guts now than she was before, since she is the only thing keeping him from the darkness of revenge.

He did, I'm not sure there's any wondering about this. That's why we're trying to "complete" the line instead of "inserting" a line.

BiQ_

" ... "
Sorry, I meant that I am ... well, not exactly "baffled" but something along those lines maybe a bit surprised in the front of the fact that he really DID start to answer that question. I would not have expected him to do so, considering how much he seems to keep to himself about the past.

Of course, it's Miura's story and he is free to do as he sees fit and all that.

yota821 said:
Actually, I think she's even more significant to Guts now than she was before, since she is the only thing keeping him from the darkness of revenge.

Perhaps, but needless to say It certainly isn't for what she is now, she's currently nothing but a nuisance.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Manji said:
I don't see the point in Guts playing Macho anymore, or at least in the "*BLUSH* ITS NOT TRUE SO I'LL SAY SOMETHING ELSE<_<" manner. He's a man god damn it, or at least I think he's mature enough at this point just to be honest. I personally think its...

Well he's never plainly lied about his life, just has avoided talking about it, and it didn't feel like strange behaviour on his part. Now things are a bit different and he situation is more propitious to open discussions.

Sparnage said:
I don't mean to say that he loves her any less. I just don't think he cannot (or would) say she is "his woman" or something similar when Casca's feelings for him, insane or otherwise, aren't returned.

He could still simply say he loves her though.

Sparnage said:
It could. I ask because if it ended the brief sentence in a verb it could've changed the sentence from "she is" to "she was".

I think you can trust our translators about that sort of stuff man.

BiQ-- said:
I am ... well, not exactly "baffled" but something along those lines maybe a bit surprised in the front of the fact that he really DID start to answer that question. I would not have expected him to do so, considering how much he seems to keep to himself about the past.

I don't mean to be obnoxious, but again, not only did he start answering that question, but nothing really indicates that he didn't finish his sentence. We just didn't see the end because the focus for the reader was on Farnese leaving without listening to it. He could have been interrupted in mid-sentence, but he could have as well finished talking before Roderick alerted him of Casca being in danger.

Also, no offense intended and not directed at you in particular, but I think people in general need to stop thinking they know how Guts "should" react or not, or what is "his style" and what isn't, etc. The character is more subtle than most people give him credit for it seems. Anyway, I personally don't find it surprising at all that he'd reply to such a question, especially since it's not about serving under Griffith in the Band of the Hawks or anything, it's a simple question about a person he very obviously cares a lot about. It's not like he was asked details about the Occultation.

Sparnage said:
Perhaps, but needless to say It certainly isn't for what she is now, she's currently nothing but a nuisance.

But he still loves her regardless of her state. I don't think you'll be able to refute yota821's argument here.

Aazealh said:
I think you can trust our translators about that sort of stuff man.

To give Sparnage some credit though, the tense of the verb used in Guts' line is unknown (let alone what the verb is), so we don't know if he's referring to what Casca was, is, or will be. Not that it matters now, I guess, but I just wanted to clarify that.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Adding to what Aaz said about Gut's finishing his sentence. I think Shierke heard what Gut's said. Farnese left right before and when she awoke, it took Shierke a few more seconds to come back as well, more then enough time to heard the final words of what Gut's said... well at least that is a bit more plausible thing

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
Adding to what Aaz said about Guts finishing his sentence. I think Schierke heard what Guts said. Farnese left right before and when she awoke, it took Schierke a few more seconds to come back as well, more then enough time to heard the final words of what Guts said... well at least that is a bit more plausible thing

That's a good call, and if true, we'd have a better shot at hearing what Guts had to say (Roddy could always recall it as well). Anyway, it's funny that people are arguing over what Guts "should" have said concerning a line that wasn't even revealed; with arguments ranging between him spilling his guts, or not answering at all. =)

Maybe he just said, "She's my... own damn business I'm minding, jackass." :carcus:

yota821 said:
I don't think Casca's "hating him" (she's insane, after all) has anything to do with how he feels for her. He loves her all the same, and he protects her all the same. Even before Casca began to love Guts (when she was infatuated with Griffith), Guts cared for her.

I don't think Guts can still be in love with Casca. There is a fine line between loving a living person and what Guts is doing which is desprately trying to hold on to the memory of a person thats no longer there "in the head". :???:

There have been many examples of him resenting the fact that he has to protect her leading up to the beast manifested itself :chomp: on the tit. What he was doing was out of a sense of duty. Duty to a former lover/old friend/old commrad.

At least up until SK told him there was a possible fix for her. Now he is trying to find a fix for her even though it might not be what she wants. What he is doing now is fix it or ditch it on that island. :beast:

There is no way Guts would open up to anyone about anything, not even the fact that he was part of the Hawks. His response to rich boy would of been an auto joke something like "She's my ball n chain" or something = to that in Japanese.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Pakman said:
What he is doing now is fix it or ditch it on that island. :beast:

I doubt Guts would ditch Casca if for some reason Hanafubuku Oh wasn't able to cure her.

Pakman said:
There is no way Guts would open up to anyone about anything, not even the fact that he was part of the Hawks. His response to rich boy would of been an auto joke something like "She's my ball n chain" or something = to that in Japanese.

I also doubt Guts wouldn't "open up to anyone about anything". Up until now there really wasn't an opportunity for him to open up, what with all the monster fighting and their attempt to acquire a ship for passage in Vritannis. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he opens up a bit on the trip to Skellig.

Aazealh said:
But he still loves her regardless of her state. I don't think you'll be able to refute yota821's argument here.

Yeah, I wouldn't argue otherwise.

yota821 said:
To give Sparnage some credit though, the tense of the verb used in Guts' line is unknown (let alone what the verb is), so we don't know if he's referring to what Casca was, is, or will be. Not that it matters now, I guess, but I just wanted to clarify that.

Cheers, I did wonder.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Pakman said:
I don't think Guts can still be in love with Casca. There is a fine line between loving a living person and what Guts is doing which is desprately trying to hold on to the memory of a person thats no longer there "in the head". :???:

There have been many examples of him resenting the fact that he has to protect her leading up to the beast manifested itself :chomp: on the tit. What he was doing was out of a sense of duty. Duty to a former lover/old friend/old commrad.

I think it's more out of respect for who she is and what they shared. It's also fairly obvious that he's just as frustrated by the fact that she is no longer "There" for him. As much as by how she was holding him back.

Pakman said:
At least up until SK told him there was a possible fix for her. Now he is trying to find a fix for her even though it might not be what she wants. What he is doing now is fix it or ditch it on that island. :beast:

Sorry but no. Guts is not that simple or callous.

Dirty Dog

It's obvious he was gonna say "She's my baby's momma". Duh!

Actually, going by something Guts said in volume 17... "She's the first person I ever cared about."

Just stumbled upon this topic, and was wondering if the line

"She's my sheath..."

sounds plausible at all. Well I know it sounds abit corny, and somewhat unlike Guts, but oh well, its a suggestion.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Pakman said:
What he is doing now is fix it or ditch it on that island. :beast:

Man, I had overlooked that post. It's all kinds of ridiculous, but this part is truly amazing. It goes beyond just misunderstanding events and characters, it's like an alternate version of the story, as seen through the deforming prism of a 14 years old's mind.

zrexe said:

"She's my sheath..."

sounds plausible at all. Well I know it sounds abit corny, and somewhat unlike Guts, but oh well, its a suggestion.

Well, technically I don't think it's impossible that he could have said so. But like you said, it does seem a little weird as a formulation and somewhat unlike Guts.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
zrexe said:

"She's my sheath..."

That sounds like the comparison used to describe Yukishiro Tomoe's relationship with Himura Kenshin in the Rurouni Kenshin Tsuiokuhen OVA and doesn't seem like something the Guts we know would say.  Just curious, but is that where you got the idea from?

Rhombaad said:
That sounds like the comparison used to describe Yukishiro Tomoe's relationship with Himura Kenshin in the Rurouni Kenshin Tsuiokuhen OVA and doesn't seem like something the Guts we know would say. Just curious, but is that where you got the idea from?

Well, I watched the Kenshin OVA, but I must say for certain that it was not from it which had given me the idea. In fact, I was pretty sure the same idea was mentioned in the Berserk manga, but I just cannot remember offhand which part it came from. Maybe Aazealh would remember where. Then again, I could be reading a badly translated version.

CnC

Ad Oculos
zrexe said:
In fact, I was pretty sure the same idea was mentioned in the Berserk manga, but I just cannot remember offhand which part it came from. Maybe Aazealh would remember where. Then again, I could be reading a badly translated version.

It comes from what Guts said to Casca during the 100 man battle. So it's not completely unlike Guts to draw the comparison, just unlikely given his usually more "direct" manner of speech.

CnC said:
It comes from what Guts said to Casca during the 100 man battle. So it's not completely unlike Guts to draw the comparison, just unlikely given his usually more "direct" manner of speech.

oh yes I think I remember now. If I'm not mistaken Guts used it to refer to Casca as Griffith's sheath. Will have to check the manga when I get home though.

Hey guys,

I think in the the current episode Roderick kinda answers this.

Up on the mast he tells Farnese that she's caring for the 'most important person in his (Guts) life'.

I kinda figured that's what Guts said.. "She's the most important person in my life".

Cheers,

Mel

P.S. and yeah, I think this is my first post :D

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
zrexe said:
oh yes I think I remember now. If I'm not mistaken Guts used it to refer to Casca as Griffith's sheath. Will have to check the manga when I get home though.

No, Casca says that she wanted to be Griffith's "sword". Guts then tells her later on during the 100 hundred men battle that a sword should be sheathed at the side of its owner, and to go back him (the owner meaning Griffith). The word "sheath" is never used to refer to Casca.

Melorik said:
I think in the the current episode Roderick kinda answers this.

Up on the mast he tells Farnese that she's caring for the 'most important person in his (Guts) life'.

I kinda figured that's what Guts said.. "She's the most important person in my life".

Hi Melorik and welcome to SK.net. :serpico:

The problem with your idea is that Roderick says "probably". I highly doubt Guts told him that she's probably the most important person in his life.

Aazealh said:
No, Casca says that she wanted to be Griffith's "sword". Guts then tells her later on during the 100 hundred men battle that a sword should be sheathed at the side of its owner, and to go back him (the owner meaning Griffith). The word "sheath" is never used to refer to Casca.

Yea! I remember now! Guess I didn't remember that scene all that well. On hindsight, like you said, it seems more and more unlikely that he could have used "sheath" to refer to Casca whilst on the ship.

DoM

I'm a llama!
Aazealh said:
The problem with your idea is that Roderick says "probably". I highly doubt Guts told him that she's probably the most important person in his life.

Maybe Guts just told him something like " She is ... a very important person to me" ; and then Roderick took it to "probably the most important to him"

Top Bottom