Need some computer help

My dad was burning CDs and when he finishes he sends the folder to the recycle bin and then empties it. He happened to accicdently delete a folder along with his music folders. Is there anyway that I can recover this folder or the documents within it?

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
It will erase everything entirely.  What you can "reformat" is your hard drive which basicly clears out the file system and writes a new blank one.  It would be less then you started out with. You'd have to reinstall EVERYTHING from your OS up. There might be a tool somewhere in your reformat software to recover files but its not the first place I would look, and you'd be dangerously close to the "erase everything" buttons...

I'm fairly certain that its possible to recover those files but I doubt its easy.  It would help to know your OS.
*hops over to ask.com*
heres what I got from ask jeeves
that sight is quite useful when ya can't think of decent filters for yahoo/google ect.
at first glance it looks like its all products, so its up to you how valuable those files are.
You might also wanna try looking around www.downloads.com its got a bunch of free trial, and freeware stuff.  You can probably find dos instructions if you go through a few pages at ask.com though.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
dwarfkicker said:
Well I guess I'm fucked then.  Thanks for the help guys.  I appreciate it.
not neccesarily. I'd expect that your computer would overwrite older stuff before it overwrote the stuff you just deleted. Even when you delete something from the recycle bin I believe it keeps info about it in the file tables. You probably haven't written enough to your hard drive since the deletion to get the ones you need to save overwritten. Well, if you've written a couple gigs then its probably gone, but otherwise you've got a chance. Give the thing a shot.

If you manage to start an undeletion process before Windows uses that part of the hard drive to write a new file, all you have to do is set that flag back to “on,” and you get the file. Pretty cool, eh?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Majin is right, most of your files will still be there if you didn't copy large amounts of data around since then. You just need to install a recovering program, I didn't use any for like 10 years so I can't give you a good one, but that page Headless_Death linked to recommends Restoration. Try to get your files back with that and report the results here.

I came home from work and found out and my brother told me nothing was done afterwards. I'm using that Restoration program and I'm coming up empty. Though the reason for that is probably because I originally added another type of program from downloads.com and that could have made it impossible to get my stuff back.

There are programs that let you recover data that you deleted, they are pretty easy to find and I have used them before and they work. Chances are some of the files you get back wont work correctly tho, but with luck some of them will :D. One thing tho try not to put any new stuff in your hard disk (download stuff or install stuff) before you get your files back, or there are chances you will get more corrupted files once you rescue them. Thing is your computer doesnt really deletes the stuff you delete it just makes the space they occupy available to write to, so when new files need the space they have permision to write over them.

dwarfkicker said:
I came home from work and found out and my brother told me nothing was done afterwards. I'm using that Restoration program and I'm coming up empty. Though the reason for that is probably because I originally added another type of program from downloads.com and that could have made it impossible to get my stuff back.

a small program wont make a dent unless u have your hd full

Top Bottom