Religion in BERSERK

I feel like this topic either has no point, or has devolved into something that is totally insipid.

In an effort to attempt to bring this thread around to -- either its end, or just a purpose at all, lets go back to the original post.

---

Premise: The Apostles are kind of like the Jews
Are Apostles like the Jews? Overall, no. Historically, no. Theologically, no. Socially, no.

Are the Jews kind of like the Apostles in that they are dispersed throughout the world? Yes, but it's wrong to say that there weren't other sorts of people dispersed throughout the world too, it depends on what period of time you're looking out. You can find Christians all over Eurasia, even in China, during the medieval period, but that alone isn't significant enough to mean Christians are like Apostles.

Are the Jews kind of like the Apostles in that they offer sacrifices? Yes, but then Apostles are also "kind of like" virtually every other religion in the world, past or present.
I am a student of Religion (not a theological student), and even though I know more about Buddhism and Daoism, I know enough about Judaism to tell you that human sacrifice was never widely, or even infrequently practiced in Judaism. What you seem to be arguing is that, even though no evidence exists to support your claim that human sacrifice might have existed in Judaism, that we should presume it does. That is, of course, a very specious argument. Even if human sacrifice existed, it doesn't make Apostles like Jews any more than it makes Apostles like Incans or Neolithic Chinese or whatever other groups you want to look at.

Premise: Midlanders are kind of like Christians.
Trivially true, since the Church in Berserk is obviously a fictionalized version of the Catholic church.

Premise: The Kushan are kind of like Muslims
I don't think we know enough about the Kushan to say this. I guess we're going by the obvious that they have an empire, which is an acceptable parallel but I don't know if it's worth drawing. I have a hard time seeing Ganishka "submitting" to anyone (Islam means submission [to God]).
Are we claiming that Ganishka is Mohammed? I guess that's presumably possible, but I can't see him as just an adherent to a faith, he is too power hungry to be a follower of anyone else. I'm not aware of any significant opposing figure like Griffith in the life of Mohammed.

Overall, I don't think it squares up, and I don't see the usefulness in making these very weak connections, since they don't seem to suggest to me any ways in which the story of Berserk may move.

Denial said:
I feel like this topic either has no point, or has devolved into something that is totally insipid.

In an effort to attempt to bring this thread around to -- either its end, or just a purpose at all, lets go back to the original post.

---

Premise: The Apostles are kind of like the Jews
Are Apostles like the Jews? Overall, no. Historically, no. Theologically, no. Socially, no.

Are the Jews kind of like the Apostles in that they are dispersed throughout the world? Yes, but it's wrong to say that there weren't other sorts of people dispersed throughout the world too, it depends on what period of time you're looking out. You can find Christians all over Eurasia, even in China, during the medieval period, but that alone isn't significant enough to mean Christians are like Apostles.

Are the Jews kind of like the Apostles in that they offer sacrifices? Yes, but then Apostles are also "kind of like" virtually every other religion in the world, past or present.
I am a student of Religion (not a theological student), and even though I know more about Buddhism and Daoism, I know enough about Judaism to tell you that human sacrifice was never widely, or even infrequently practiced in Judaism. What you seem to be arguing is that, even though no evidence exists to support your claim that human sacrifice might have existed in Judaism, that we should presume it does. That is, of course, a very specious argument. Even if human sacrifice existed, it doesn't make Apostles like Jews any more than it makes Apostles like Incans or Neolithic Chinese or whatever other groups you want to look at.

No, you are out of the topic...even if what you are addressing has to do with the topic's introduction (first post) its scope is not this one I' ll put it again here what I said in the last paragraph...
"Berserk does not drive its influences directly from one canon (see religion adopted by a group of people) but tries to mix them all together, in one world that could be the one explaining from where the various people have made their canons from...
I believe this is it the way Miura is dealing with it...in Bersek Flora's model and the idea or Godhand have to do with the whole world, being behind each different religion, legend or "miracle"

If you agree with this and want to dictate the putting together of the influences which form Miura's world matrix we can go on here...if not then don't partecipate...
For example...you see a similarity with christians
and accept it
Well IMO according to the premise that Miura is making Berserk on a concept of one matrix (one world) this means that you have also to place somehow the major relations christians have had...
Hisctorical relations on the matter involve the jews, christians, muslims
Obviously these are so important as the same evolution of history, if distinguishable the one from the other
Now I am asking you, if Midlanders are christians who are the jews and the muslims?
Again don't rush to say that this is Miura's world fiction...
It is obviously, but it is influenced on medieval history
And since story telling has its rules and laws also or at least Miura is following them you can go on and distinguish the relations I am talking about
About the apostles-jews as far as the your points go are details that go out of this threads general purpose...
Please do not come back with them...unless you come back with a better establishment which I doupt you will find...
And yes, though that there is no perfect parallel establishment since Miura's work is fictional... yet we can speak out the (better) ones we find
This for one more time to anticipate your "stubborness" since insistivelly bringging on the same special particulars about jews

Denial said:
Premise: Midlanders are kind of like Christians.
Trivially true, since the Church in Berserk is obviously a fictionalized version of the Catholic church.

I also see albion and the temple of rebirth as obvious fictionalized versions the jewish temples

Denial said:
Islam means submission [to God]
Irrelevant (any partiicular that does not make sense with the scope of this thread I will address them like this from now on)...I am trying to see if Ganishka fits an emperor that invaded Jerusaleem from history...How those emperors were feelling in respect to God is irrelevant...their power and deeds (what have they conquered, how they have done this, how they have ruled are relevant)

Denial said:
Are we claiming that Ganishka is Mohammed? I guess that's presumably possible, but I can't see him as just an adherent to a faith, he is too power hungry to be a follower of anyone else. I'm not aware of any significant opposing figure like Griffith in the life of Mohammed.
No, it does not fit...but the oracle might...
Yet we still don't know much about it except some references

xechnao said:
If we find out the influences we could better describe berserk IMO, for example to a person who hasn't read it yet instead of giving him the story
It ain't sure we will, but we are trying...this is the scope of this thread
Well, I do not really agree with that, trying to compare BERSERK to real events may cause more confusion than anything else, IMHO.

Denial said:
I don't think we know enough about the Kushan to say this. I guess we're going by the obvious that they have an empire, which is an acceptable parallel but I don't know if it's worth drawing. I have a hard time seeing Ganishka "submitting" to anyone (Islam means submission [to God]).
If you are studying Religions, you should see that the features of the Kushans are clearly not Muslim-like... As much as the Holy See resembles the Vatican, the Kushans don't look like Muslims. They look like Buddhist, or Hinduist, that's for sure. Not to mention (once again) that there was historically a real people called the Kushans, whose greatest leader was called Kanishka, and who were practicing Buddhism!
And Muhammad himself never was a great conqueror. At the time of his death, Islam was only located in the arabic peninsula, that's only AFTER is death that Islam began to spread worldwide. So I see no reason why Ganishka would "be" Muhammad in any way?!...
[As for people opposing Muhammad, I know it's OFF TOPIC, but the early history of Islam is only made of battle against people opposing the new religion, since at that time Arab tribes were mostly polytheists, and IIRC Muhammad himself was exiled somewhere before he was able to conquer Mecca back.]

Denial said:
Overall, I don't think it squares up, and I don't see the usefulness in making these very weak connections, since they don't seem to suggest to me any ways in which the story of Berserk may move.
With that I do agree, the point of the Thread himself doesn't really lead anywhere. :-\

asmer said:
Well, I do not really agree with that, trying to compare BERSERK to real events may cause more confusion than anything else, IMHO.
With that I do agree, the point of the Thread himself doesn't really lead anywhere. :-\

I have readdressed this on the post above...and before
And on a side comment I have to say you are controversial...a few posts back I asked that there is no need to partecipate if you don't find this interesting and you answered
"It's not that I don't agree with the idea of making a thread about this topic, it's just that I don't agree with your conclusions on the matter. I think trying to find the sources of Mr Miura's inspiration for BERSERK is really interesting, but to me, some things seem to be there only for their graphic aspect, not for their inner meaning (once again I don't know if that's very clear...)! But, again, that's just my point of view, I guess I may be totally wrong! "

PS. One more time: stay out of it if you dont agree with this thraed please

asmer said:
If you are studying Religions, you should see that the features of the Kushans are clearly not Muslim-like... As much as the Holy See resembles the Vatican, the Kushans don't look like Muslims. They look like Buddhist, or Hinduist, that's for sure. Not to mention (once again) that there was historically a real people called the Kushans, whose greatest leader was called Kanishka, and who were practicing Buddhism!
And Muhammad himself never was a great conqueror. At the time of his death, Islam was only located in the arabic peninsula, that's only AFTER is death that Islam began to spread worldwide. So I see no reason why Ganishka would "be" Muhammad in any way?!...
[As for people opposing Muhammad, I know it's OFF TOPIC, but the early history of Islam is only made of battle against people opposing the new religion, since at that time Arab tribes were mostly polytheists, and IIRC Muhammad himself was exiled somewhere before he was able to conquer Mecca back.]
I don't think that Ganishka is Muhammad...perhaps the oracle
We have to see if we find anything new about this
If you have something new about who Ganishka might be (historically related) post
If not, don't
That is don't be negative unless you have something alternativelly better to propose

xechnao said:
And on a side comment I have to say you are controversial...
Well, you're accusing me of flip flopping on this topic, I had say that it's more a problem of you not understanding very well the english language (no offense intended)... I said I was interested in discussing the sources of Mr Miura's inspiration for BERSERK, but in their graphic aspect, something you seemed to agree with. But then you came back trying to match events in BERSERK with events that occured in History. That's what I call your point in this Thread, and that's what I think is unrelevant... ::)

xechnao said:
I don't think that Ganishka is Muhammad...perhaps the oracle
We have to see if we find anything new about this
If you have something new about who Ganishka might be (historically related) post
If not, don't
That is don't be negative unless you have something alternativelly better to propose
I think that's what I tried to do, I already explained, and justified, why I think the Kushans are not related to Muslims, I don't see that as a negative attitude! :-\

xechnao said:
PS. One more time: stay out of it if you dont agree with this thraed please
Well, most Threads wouldn't be very interesting if everybody was saying the same thing and only agreeing on everything, right? ;)

asmer said:
I said I was interested in discussing the sources of Mr Miura's inspiration for BERSERK, but in their graphic aspect, something you seemed to agree with. But then you came back trying to match events in BERSERK with events that occured in History. That's what I call your point in this Thread, and that's what I think is unrelevant... ::)
It is the same thing
Graphic can be an event, eg a big battle, a sacrifice, a love story...not only decorative motives
Are you only interested in decorative motives? This thread is not intended to stop only on them

asmer said:
I think that's what I tried to do, I already explained, and justified, why I think the Kushans are not related to Muslims, I don't see that as a negative attitude! :-\
yeah, I replied like that because of momentum...sorry if it didn't fit

asmer said:
Well, most Threads wouldn't be very interesting if everybody was saying the same thing and only agreeing on everything, right? ;)

No, this is not what I wanted to say...I wanted to say to bring info and ideas about positively developing, expanding the threads "research" if you like, instead of focusing on a calus and be negative on it

xechnao said:
Graphic can be an event, eg a big battle, a sacrifice, a love story...not only decorative motives
Are you only interested in decorative motives? This thread is not intended to stop only on them

Well that's how you think, let's say that for me I think it's interesting to find sources only in their graphic aspects, yes. So I guess I've said everything I could on that matter! ;)

Top Bottom