Shaun of the Dead

skeletonmf

Imprisoned for crimes too hideous to be named.
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Bah I give up. I was trying to remember what those two punk rocker guys on Mr. Show with Bob and David were argueing about...

actually, theyre metalheads.

it went a little something like this

DAVID:"this is classic!"
BOB: "no dude, it's core!"
D:"classic"
B:"core"
OTHER GUY:"dudes, youre both wrong! it's awesome"
B:"classic"
D:"now you agree it's classic?"
B"no. him saying it's awesome was classic. the chase is still core!"
D"fuck you!"
B"fuck you!"

that was a classic episode man.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
skeletonmf said:
actually, theyre metalheads.

it went a little something like this

DAVID:"this is classic!"
BOB: "no dude, it's core!"
D:"classic"
B:"core"
OTHER GUY:"dudes, youre both wrong! it's awesome"
B:"classic"
D:"now you agree it's classic?"
B"no. him saying it's awesome was classic. the chase is still core!"
D"fuck you!"
B"fuck you!"

that was a classic episode man.

Yes. So was the part where the kid finds out he's going to die so everyone was being really nice to him to make him feel better. That was totaly core.

To me what was funny about Shaun of the dead is that I don't think there was any real reason explained for everyone to turn into zombies in the first place, they were just suddenly there and spreading. I might have forgotten if there was a reason but don't recall one.

Is Shaun of the Dead anything like Dawn of the dead? By that I mean aside the name were there any real similarities in the story? Couldn't picture it being so.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
skeletonmf said:
it's obviously a spoof of dawn of the dead and other zombie flicks.

Now that's the thing. I wouldn't call it a spoof. When I first heard about it I thought it was a spoof of all zombie movies in general. When I saw it I realized what it was, a tribute to all zombie movies ever made [After Night of the Living I mean]. They weren't makeing fun of zombie movies they were just trying to pull it into the comedy/action area.

Just to clarify, since I am no Berserk expert, but I've been watching horror films since I was about nine...

Night of the Living Dead was the original, modern zombie film. It introduced the slow, bumbling and non thinking zombie with the victims in a farm house. It was actually Romero's attempt to symbolize our arrogance in the Cold War.

Dawn of the Dead followed, with the people hiding in a mall and fending off zombies. It was a criticism of the late 70's early 80's culture, basically saying that we are consumer whores who could easily defeat zombies if we stopped caring about stupid inane shit. The remake was just a videogame in comparison.

Day of the Dead followed, with survivors in an underground military base. It just sucked. Those three films created the modern "zombie" and were made by the great George Romero. Romero didn't actually coin the term zombie for his creatures, but rather after Night of the Living Dead it was given by fans and critics alike, and it stuck.

As a side note, you people should all see Evil Dead II if you haven't, since Miura based a lot of Guts on Ash.(And yes, I know this was discussed before)

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
bph said:
As a side note, you people should all see Evil Dead II if you haven't, since Miura based a lot of Guts on Ash.(And yes, I know this was discussed before)

From my understanding Miura had just started publishing Berserk [or sent in the promo], when he went to see that movie in theaters. He mentioned how he was scared he was going to get sued. It was on DVD vol 5 I think[?].

skeletonmf

Imprisoned for crimes too hideous to be named.
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Now that's the thing. I wouldn't call it a spoof. When I first heard about it I thought it was a spoof of all zombie movies in general.

but it was a goofy comedy about zombies so i just assumed it was spoofing off of the new dawn of the dead which i havent bothered seeing.

This movie will be horrible.

bph said:
Actually it was total coincidence. When Evil Dead II came out Miura was worried that he was going to get sued because of how alike Ash and Guts were.

Top Bottom