Silent Hill 5!

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Sorry guys, but after seeing the new Siren footage, the new SH looks terrible.

The developer will screw this one up. Actually, a friend recently gave me comparison screenshots and the old stuff is superior in terms of visual presentation.. so I can't agree with those that say it's use the word "gorgeous" to describe it. Eh, I'm just becoming more and more cynical about the title every time something new is revealed.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
It's actually called 5ilent Hill: Homecoming now. Not joking, unfortunately. :puck: And yeah, it looks pretty gorgeous. Im just a little wary of the team making it.

Homecoming? Whats the name of the sports team? The Silent Hill Pyramids?

..ah I crack myself up.. :ganishka:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Uriel said:
Sorry guys, but after seeing the new Siren footage, the new SH looks terrible.

I hated Siren. Did the siren team promise to make this game better and actually playable?

Uriel said:
The developer will screw this one up. Actually, a friend recently gave me comparison screenshots and the old stuff is superior in terms of visual presentation.. so I can't agree with those that say it's use the word "gorgeous" to describe it. Eh, I'm just becoming more and more cynical about the title every time something new is revealed.

Do you have the comparison screenshots?

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I'm still staying optimistic. The combat looked a bit gimpy, but then again it's probably not even finished yet.

As for Siren 2, I couldn't tell what was even happening in the trailers I saw. The gameplay looked bad too, not to mention having the most retarded zombies ever created. It's too early to judge either game really, but personally I'd give SH5 the vote, despite the godawful title. Here's a link to some of the footage:
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/6668.html

Vaxillus

New Gameplay, seems like they're slowly workking out the bugs:
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/5159.html
They still have a ways to go though, in one of the cutscenes the main character can be seen talking without openning his mouth. He seems to have a bit of depth though, not being as shallow and generic and emotionless as the one in SH4. Well, that is as much as I can tell from a single cutscene. Combat seems decent, but still not too over the top which is good, though the finishers seem much more brutal (not more gimpy looking kicks and stomps). According to previews on Gamespy and other sites, there is a dodge function as well which can be seen in some of the trailers.

Blahblahblah, basically the progress between the last combat gameplay we saw and this does a bit to restore my hopes for this game. Could still go either way though.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Vaxillus said:
New Gameplay, seems like they're slowly workking out the bugs:
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/5159.html

Thanks vaxillus. I just wish you could slam the knife into the demon nurse's head and break it off in their skull OR give them a cuban necktie. Oh well, one day.

Vaxillus

Wow, they brought back Pyramidhead, AGAIN! I wish they'd stop sucking up to the fans and make something more original. Nonetheless, it's looking good. I'm missing the music though, American horror music is always terrible, so my hopes in that regard are a bit less than I'd like.

Also, they seem to have at least given the kid some character, but I could do without some of the 'I am teh chosen one' angst.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
Also, they seem to have at least given the kid some character, but I could do without some of the 'I am teh chosen one' angst.

Yeah, and this doesn't feel very original, it's still a guy looking for a kid, the enemies don't look particularly different from the old ones... I've stopped playing those games a while back and this won't make me pick up the series again.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Aazealh said:
Yeah, and this doesn't feel very original, it's still a guy looking for a kid, the enemies don't look particularly different from the old ones... I've stopped playing those games a while back and this won't make me pick up the series again.

Only one game was about finding a kid. Then again you're a Resident Evil fan boy, didn't all the resident evil games have the same enemies [give or take a few added ones and bosses] up until Resident evil 4, which they just upgraded the zombies to being slightly faster and the ability to throw things.

What I'm getting at is the Nurses and Pyramid Head being added in this game isn't as bad as the other series.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Vaxillus said:
Wow, they brought back Pyramidhead, AGAIN! I wish they'd stop sucking up to the fans and make something more original. Nonetheless, it's looking good. I'm missing the music though, American horror music is always terrible, so my hopes in that regard are a bit less than I'd like.

Agreed, I thought Pyramid Head was specific to James from Silent Hill 2, now it seems he's popping up everywhere! And I'm pretty sure Akira Yamaoka is still doing doing the soundtrack so there shouldn't be any drastic sound changes. I'm very excited about this game and I look forward September 30th.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Only one game was about finding a kid.

I'm sure the next game will be about a guy looking for his dead wife.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Then again you're a Resident Evil fan boy, didn't all the resident evil games have the same enemies [give or take a few added ones and bosses] up until Resident evil 4

No actually they didn't have all the same enemies. And it didn't take place in the same foggy environment either. That point and your unnecessary aggressiveness aside, Resident Evil's defaults do not absolve Silent Hill's.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
What I'm getting at is the Nurses and Pyramid Head being added in this game isn't as bad as the other series.

What about the fact it sounds like the same plot from SH1, only now the kid talks?

Pyramid Head was specific to SH2 - but it's also probable that PH manifests itself for different visitors of SH. It does diminish things a bit if you look at it that way though.

And I'm not a fan of that trailer too much either. But I'll still own the game on day one. I love the music and general atmosphere of SH much more so than RE.

I prefer Clerks 1 and 2. If all else fails "Evening with Kevin Smith"

Any how,

A lot of people liked the 2nd one. I thought it was okay. I loved the 3rd one because it tied into the 1st. I'll probably pick up this one too...hell, the only reason I play these silent hill games anymore is to mark on the maps which doors you can and can't go in. :schierke:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Well Aaz... Mall Rats sucked. :miura:

:ganishka:

Cronus said:
Pyramid Head was specific to SH2 - but it's also probable that PH manifests itself for different visitors of SH. It does diminish things a bit if you look at it that way though.

Yeah, Vampy and I had a discussion about it last evening... I personally think he was meant to be specific to James in SH2, so reusing him does bother me a bit, even though he's admittedly an awesome character.

Cronus said:
And I'm not a fan of that trailer too much either. But I'll still own the game on day one. I love the music and general atmosphere of SH much more so than RE.

Well as far as pure atmosphere goes, I would rate SH higher except for some specific occasions/scenes. I've always felt that ambiance wasn't the focus of RE games after the first one (the mansion music... damn creepy). The series went on to be more "actiony" and about building a cohesive (or not) world with recurring characters and all that. Apparently there may be some actual tension in RE5 though, we'll see...

Anyway about this game, I'll see the reviews before considering to buy it. I skipped The Room because honestly I didn't think it looked very good, but I'm always open for more.

Aazealh said:
Well as far as pure atmosphere goes, I would rate SH higher except for some specific occasions/scenes. I've always felt that ambiance wasn't the focus of RE games after the first one (the mansion music... damn creepy). The series went on to be more "actiony" and about building a cohesive (or not) world with recurring characters and all that. Apparently there may be some actual tension in RE5 though, we'll see...

To be fair, they started to do some story chains on some level but it's pretty clear they abandoned it after SH4. I really liked 1 and 3's link, and part 2 stood on its own well.

Anyway about this game, I'll see the reviews before considering to buy it. I skipped The Room because honestly I didn't think it looked very good, but I'm always open for more.

It wasn't good. Definitely a stumble on Konami's part.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Cronus said:
I really liked 1 and 3's link, and part 2 stood on its own well.

Same here, I was fine with the way they did it (though it wasn't perfect in some regards).

Cronus said:
It wasn't good. Definitely a stumble on Konami's part.

Yeah that seems to be the general consensus, which is why I didn't bother.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Aazealh said:

Oh, The Room wasn't all that bad, really. Gameplay was a bit sucky, especially with those immortal ghosts pestering Henry Townshend, but the atmosphere and the plot twists were ground solid. The ever changeing Room itself was a nice idea. It gave me the shivers sometimes, and that's good in my book. Besides, that game is dirt cheap by now (got mine at around 10€) and i didn't regret the purchase at all.
Also, you could look around for Silent Hill Zero (Origins). That one doesn't reinvent the wheel as well but it has improved on gameplay (over The Room) and it delivers on the atmosphere part. Cheers!^^

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SimplyEd said:
Oh, The Room wasn't all that bad, really. Gameplay was a bit sucky

Well, isn't bad gameplay a staple of the SH series? :void: You're right though, maybe I should give it a shot now that it's dirt cheap...

Vaxillus

SimplyEd said:
Oh, The Room wasn't all that bad, really. Gameplay was a bit sucky, especially with those immortal ghosts pestering Henry Townshend, but the atmosphere and the plot twists were ground solid. The ever changeing Room itself was a nice idea. It gave me the shivers sometimes, and that's good in my book. Besides, that game is dirt cheap by now (got mine at around 10€) and i didn't regret the purchase at all.
Also, you could look around for Silent Hill Zero (Origins). That one doesn't reinvent the wheel as well but it has improved on gameplay (over The Room) and it delivers on the atmosphere part. Cheers!^^
No. Where the gameplay is usually pretty basic in the Silent Hill series, that was the only game where I found myself getting wallraped by hoardes of invincible ghosts. The story was garbage and very predictable, and the voice acting was some of the most unemotional crap I've ever heard. It's like the main character didn't even care people were dying. Then there was the game actually telling you to kill the villain, about 5 times, which was just an insult to my inteligence and one of the corniest scenes I've ever whitnessed. Being forced to play through the game TWICE just brought it down a whole level too. I think the trailer for the game was the only good thing to come out of the entire project.

And yeah it's cheap now, but so are plenty of other cheap games that aren't so terrible.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I personally loved Silent Hill 4. The storyline kept me interested and the soundtrack was great. I also went through almost the whole game melee and I never had any problems using the analog to control the character, I think it was the 2D control setting? Anyway, I'd say Silent Hill Origins had the shittiest control of all the games in If you can get a copy of The Room I suggest you do so, it's a lot of fun. But this is coming from the guy who loved Castlevania Curse of Darkness. Can you trust me? :ganishka:

Top Bottom