SPECULATION CONTEST

IgnusDei

mmh-hmm good.
------------------------

Randver's countenance softened a bit, but remained strong and stern:

"Oh no no no i don't mean to start nothin' with ye, good sir! I do, however, wish to know WHY would you think it not a good idea for *any* of us to make a bid for salvation?"

Serpico's expression remained somewhat nervous...Of course, this was a practiced apologetic appearance of meekness he had picked up living in high society: After so many duels, Serpico quickly realized that people, not just nobles, were often quick to anger. defying them only infuriated them further. "Submitting" often got him out of trouble...except of course when farneze honor was injured.

Inside, Serpico was quite unimpressed by the harsh-looking blacksmith. Nice try, he thought, but i've just seen worse. Nevertheless, he saw no reason to deny the man some answers.

"Well, s-sir...i am afraid that our good innkeeper's hunch was, hum...correct. As you know, we WERE out there, and we did come across..."

He paused. Still no reaction to be had from the rest of the group, save maybe for Ishidoro, who was listening in. He then thought best not tobe too descriptive justyet.

"...Kushan witchcraft at work."

"Witchcraft, eh?" Randver took a sip from his pint, and set it down. "What kind of witchcraft? elves? gnomes? the bloody MIST? i don't put much stock in those things: i'm a church going man, see?" He produced a small bird-and-whirlwind necklace from his shirt, and held it up if front of him. Guts silently chuckled at this, but randver continued: "Elves, don't exist, and witches are jsut a bunch of dafty old crones looking for attention! So be straight with me, SIR, and answer me this without trying to sound bloody interesting with tall tales taken from bedtime stories : when you were out there, have you seen any Kushan soldiers marching about?"

"Well, no, but..."

"Then i that's all i need to hear." He got up, preparing to leave.

Serpico looked worried. And he WAS most honestly worried: here was a good man trying to save his family from the horrors of kushan occupation, and in doing so would put his kin through the terrors of being slaughtered by kushani Werecrocodiles. He had to be convinced that he was making a mistake. He had to be stopped.

"Sir, please, there may be-"

"To hell with your recommendations, you heathen, fabling girlie-man! By midday Me, Moira and the boys will have packed up and headed out for safety." Randver then raised his voice for all to hear. "And the rest fo you sods can patiently wait here hoping that the Coalliiton leftovers and the Volunteers will save your worthless hides!"

The smithy was just about ready to leave when he suddenly heard someone yell " MIRACLE BALL!" and something large, heavy and...leathery hit him squarely on the face. Randver fell on his backside, Once he had recovered from his daze, he took a good long look at what hit him: it was a cone-shaped piece of meat, wrapped in a dark green leather...it took him a bit to fully realize that it was piece of an animal...some big lizard, he could guess as much.

"Kooshie regulars?" said Ishidoro. "Nope. but Croc-men and giant sea-elephants? Old man, you'll find those aplenty out there!"

Ishidoro jumped on the bar, took a deep breath and...

"Listen up, you! You got nothing but witch-beasts hiding in the fog out there, so yeah, staying here IS a good idea!"

Serpico took another look around the table: Silke and Farneze were now paying full attention to their surroundings. The little witch stared at the brazen young boy as if ready to kill him, while her apprentice looked VERY worried that things would escalate into a brawl. Caska was no longer morose...Quite natural, since she always cheered up whenever Ishidoro... acts like himself. Guts just took another sip of his drink. The elves were still hidden in the sack, but were peeking through to see what was going on: hey were jsut waiting for them to make an entrance in this whole piece of theater.

Another deep breath:

"on the other hand, you got more than 6000 kushan troops on their way by sea, with only 2000 men and 10 moldy ships to defend against them...So you're all pretty much fucked!"

Ishidoro now had everyone's attention, and had a quite a few angry shouts and venomous stares aimed at him. But he carried on, with his fist held up high:

"But never fear, for the INVINCIBLE BAND OF..." he thought about it a moment. "...THE BLACK BEAST IS HERE! AND NO ONE CAN STAND IN OUR WAY!"

And then came the laughter. not so surprising: there the crowd had a short lad of some 13 years of age claiming that his band of six (not counting the elves) could take on a whole army of the most frighteningly efficient killers this continent had ever known, AND an army of ungodly creatures to boot. Serpico was relieved: once the laughter subsided, this mess would be over, and they could proceed to rest in their chambers.

The innkeeper, still laughing a bit, decided he wanted Ishidoro's feet off his bar, and tried to get him down.

"Now lad, come on down! I gotta thank you for the mirth, but you're dirtying me bar! Come down! i'll even give you a mug of ale, so..." he reached to grab the odd boy, but he suddenly saw a glow of orange and red sweep past his face. he then smelled smoke, and felt a slight burning sensation just about his upper lip: his mustache was on fire:

"Oh bloddy hell!" he screamed, tapping at his face to put the little flames out.

Ishidoro probably never looked so serious before, and Serpico, for a moment, was quite impressed: the boy had attained
a slightly better level of control over his enchanted weapon, and had just silenced the crowd around him. one thing you can say about Ishidoro, serpico thought, is that he never likes to be taken lightly.

Ishidoro spoke again:

"THIS IS LUCIOLE! MY FLAMING SWORD! AND WITH IT, I'M GONNA MAKE THE KUSHAN PAY FOR THEIR FLAMING PITS! I'M GONNA MAKE THEM PAY FOR MY...i'M GONNA MAKE THEM PAY!!!!"

Silence. moments lter, more silence, until someone cheered.
And then, they all cheered.

END OF PART 1

-----------------------------

Stat tuned for part 2: the batlle preparations.

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
Well, if it's just predicting next chapter, I predict that it'll show the seige of Vritannis, ending with Azan mounting the only marginally effective defense.

Woland said:
Well, if it's just predicting next chapter, I predict that it'll show the seige of Vritannis, ending with Azan mounting the only marginally effective defense.

I like the concept of him being thrown into jail later in the story

IgnusDei

mmh-hmm good.
part IIb of the battle of Vritannis has been posted in the "creation station" forum. check it out, and crits and comments are welcome.

Top Bottom