Things that scared you as a kid

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Guts' intestines said:
Because it released when I was born, I didn't see it until '96, but I found the movie tremors a little scarier, anyway I'm not trying to make fun, I just wanted to know that we were talking about the same movie...

Haha, no worries. Tremors is one of my favorite (bad) movies.

Guts' intestines said:
Its the one with Jeff Daniels and John Goodman right?

Yep, that's the one.

I had a nightmare when I was a young boy. I will never forget it.
I was in Macys with my mother and grandmother, I wander off and find a Nutcracker doll. Next thing I know, it's chewing my finger off. I vividly remember it looking evil as FUCK.
I woke up screaming. Seriously. To this day, being around one of these dolls unnerves me.
:isidro:
2090955673_640653812e.jpg

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
That's ok, I was scared totally shitless by "Lifeforce" when I was 7. Didn't help that one of the vampire-stalked guys had my same last name.

Okay, so some of you are going to laugh - and that's fine - and others just aren't going to believe me, BUT:

in the grades kindergarten and first, the wee ones (including myself) had a playground separate from the older kids (2nd thru 6th). It was smaller and included a huge ditch (uh, I grew up in the South, so large holes in the ground seemed like a good place to play), a field that held playground equipment and woods.
Now, the woods are where the tikes dare not go, for in it lies a hole, and if a boy (and I stress 'boy') falls into this hole...... Well, this particular hole led to the land of nightmares: Wiener Dog Land. Oh yeah, sounds fun, except that these dogs from hell were rumored to make a snack of any young boy's wiener and accompanying sac had he the courage to wander into the woods.
I don't know where this rumor originated, or how long it had been around or even how many people knew about it (surely, the teachers had no knowledge of this place, or they would have put it to rest quickly), but when we were playing kickball or baseball and a ball fell in, no one would tread there. Sometimes a brave soul would venture to ask a girl to retrieve the lost artifact (they were immune, obviously), but at the risk of cooties?! No sir!

There's no telling how many balls were left there (no kidding!).

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
The Perineum Falcon said:
Okay, so some of you are going to laugh - and that's fine - and others just aren't going to believe me, BUT:

in the grades kindergarten and first, the wee ones (including myself) had a playground separate from the older kids (2nd thru 6th). It was smaller and included a huge ditch (uh, I grew up in the South, so large holes in the ground seemed like a good place to play), a field that held playground equipment and woods.
Now, the woods are where the tikes dare not go, for in it lies a hole, and if a boy (and I stress 'boy') falls into this hole...... Well, this particular hole led to the land of nightmares: Wiener Dog Land. Oh yeah, sounds fun, except that these dogs from hell were rumored to make a snack of any young boy's wiener and accompanying sac had he the courage to wander into the woods.
I don't know where this rumor originated, or how long it had been around or even how many people knew about it (surely, the teachers had no knowledge of this place, or they would have put it to rest quickly), but when we were playing kickball or baseball and a ball fell in, no one would tread there. Sometimes a brave soul would venture to ask a girl to retrieve the lost artifact (they were immune, obviously), but at the risk of cooties?! No sir!

There's no telling how many balls were left there (no kidding!).

I remember at the kindergarten I went to in Seattle, that there was a huge hole in the woods just outside the playground (you could actually see it, so it wasn't a story being circulated) that scared me. I kept thinking I'd fall in there and die. Whether it led to this same Wiener Dog Land, I'm not sure. Bottom line: holes are scary.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Guts' intestines said:
Because it released when I was born, I didn't see it until '96, but I found the movie tremors a little scarier

When I was somewhere between kindergarten and second grade I went to a sleepover at one of my friend's houses for a birthday party, and his parents allowed him to rent two horror movies. One genuinely scared me and I couldn't watch it over halfway through- it was called 'Parents' or something like that? It was about a kid who I think made disturbing drawings at school, so a social worker went to his house and discovered that his parents were cannibals and then she was being attacking by a knife or something in a pantry when I couldn't watch it anymore. After that they put on Tremors 2, and while I was very nervous at first, I ended up thinking it was hilarious and Bert (I think his name was) quickly became my childhood hero for the next few weeks.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
Yeah it was hilarious, its just that our lawn had some holes from gophers, so the movie made me become wary about walking over them, as if a worm from the movie might pop out and snatch me, though I wasn't really all that scared, just a little cautious :ganishka:.

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Two movie scenes come to mind. It's time to play Guess That Movie! (they're both super easy, I'm pretty sure.)

Scene 1:
itlookedlikethis.gif

Scene 2:
whenshavinggoeswrong.jpeg

Both of these caused me horrific fear as a child. I had to look away during these scenes. :puck:

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Griffith said:
Why, tonight's the anniversary. Worst accident I ever seen. :carcus:

G-man got one!

Nobody wants to list 'em? Fine...

Scene 1 - creepy claymation Large Marge from "Peewee's Big Adventure"

Scene 2 - scene where a guy imagines shaving his entire face off in "Poltergeist"

The 80's was a damn creepy decade for movies.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking about Total Recall for some reason yesterday, and I remembered that the scene when the resistance boss reveals himself as a gross mutant sprouting for the belly of some other dude freaked me out as a kid, I always skipped it when I could.

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Oh yeah, that one had some bad scenes. I had to look away when he was pulling the tracker thing out from his brain through his nose... :p

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
Umm...dolls, any kind of dolls. Especially the ones of little girls. Dinosaurs and teddy bears were cool, but just not humanoids.

You might not get this one but, sharks that could swim through the air. The idea scared the shit out of me! Even today, I can't think of anything more horrifying but back then I actually had hallucinations.

I don't even remember seeing Evil Dead 2 when I was little, but I seriously had a nightmare exactly like that one scene where all the furniture comes to life and laughs at Ash. That night I was scared out of my mind.

When I was a little older, I was horrified by the Haunting remake. The idea of little baby ghosts coming out of the walls really freaked me out. It was probably because I was living in an old ass house alone with my mom back then, and my bedroom had completely white, empty walls. Incidentally, that was the same house I had visions of flying sharks in.

Russian Rainbow

The Prettiest Girl A Boy Can Be
Those really life-like porcelain dolls, I watched the movie dead silence the other day and it reminded me of how much I hate those damn things, I swear, I always look over and it looks like they've moved or their eyes changed position or something, brrrrrr, creepy.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
It scared me to know if I did something wrong I was gonna get a whooping. Other than that I was just another boy with a tendency to fight alot.

Aazealh said:
I was thinking about Total Recall for some reason yesterday, and I remembered that the scene when the resistance boss reveals himself as a gross mutant sprouting for the belly of some other dude freaked me out as a kid, I always skipped it when I could.

Total Recall did freak me out when I first watch it in the theatre, especially the starting part where Arnold died with his eyes popping out, I shut my eyes in the entire movie after that, didn't watch it...

What freak me out the most when I was young was the movie "Aliens", after watching it I had nightmare just like what Ripley dreamt in the movie (an alien popping out from my chest)... And yeah the motion tracker, it leave me such great impression that I always hear that sound effect in my dream... There was even a nightmare that I was place in the alien movie's corridors alone out of nowhere and all I have is a motion tracker, den the beeping sound came and realised the signals is everywhere, scare the shit outta me...

And to add on to that, the aliens soundtrack is still the most creepy music I have ever hear in my life, especially the opening theme... My hair will stand whenever I hear that theme... Really suit the atmosphere well...

Surprising, now at 21 I'm still get scared by movies... After watching the movie "the mirror" and for the next few days I avoided standing in front of the mirror, I dunwan to get my jaws ripped apart... This movie will sure scare modern kid outta their ass... :puck:

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Well, the only thing to faze me as a kid were clowns. I HATE clowns!

Nowadays i'm not particularly afraid of them but i'm still uncomfortable whenever there's one in the media or even worse..actually around me. At those times i get an unexplainable desire to knock them over for good. Ughh, i probably should finally come to terms with this already.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
Yea, that's the last movie you want to see Ed. I remembered something, Giant ticks the size of your hand. Any insect that injected or sucked something bothered me, make them larger and you get a bigger more horrifying bite. Basically hated any insect that latches on.

Top Bottom