Transformers the movie in 2006

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I'm descenting (big surprise); those AC fights were weightless and overdone; therefore meaningless, and therefore actually quite boring. I can't say the same about Transformers though since it didn't have any fights I could see, but scenes of scrap metal rolling around during an earthquake in front of a shaking camera.

Has Michael Bay been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease BTW?

Well one thing that can't be argued is that the fights in Transformers is comparable to the fights in Batman Begins. The camera was in the worst spots for those movies during the fight scenes.

CnC

Ad Oculos
dwarfkicker said:
Well one thing that can't be argued is that the fights in Transformers is comparable to the fights in Batman Begins. The camera was in the worst spots for those movies during the fight scenes.

for which? 'cause of the fights you were meant to see in Batman Begins I felt I could read them a bit more clearly once I saw it on DVD (except that fight in the shipping yard, which was deliberately cut to not let the viewer see what was going on).

Griffith

I too could almost tell what was going on after analyzing it on DVD. Great direction, Nolan. :troll:

CnC said:
Is it an 8.5 scale? I get what you're trying to say but there wouldn't be a 9.0 if 8.0 was an A. Sorry.
And besides, imdb also gave FF:AC a 7.6. Thats enough evidence to completely discount that website's rating ability, right there.

- well I never said all of imdb.com's scores seemed right, and you cant beat fanboys for raising a movies score to levels it should never have come close to, but again, an 8.0 is still about an A- for that site considering the curve with most anything over an 8.5 being considered exceptional.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Griffith No More! said:
I too could almost tell what was going on after analyzing it on DVD. Great direction, Nolan. :troll:

lol. oh, boo hoo, griff. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the fights. :serpico:

HawaiianStallion said:
- well I never said all of imdb.com's scores seemed right, and you cant beat fanboys for raising a movies score to levels it should never have come close to, but again, an 8.0 is still about an A- for that site considering the curve with most anything over an 8.5 being considered exceptional.

So lets adopt the "imdb" standard of 7.6 being a 0 (FF:AC) and 8.5 as being an A+ (or exceptional).... Transformers still falls in that 50% - F category :troll:

imdb, further proof that enough fanboys can sway any scale...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Christ, people are still commenting on Transformers? Is it even still in theatres? I was actually considering seeing it before reading Griffith's one-line review. That sold its failure for me. Apparently, it didn't even warrant a quote war to convince others that it sucked.

CnC said:
imdb, further proof that enough fanboys can sway any scale...
Shawshank Redemption, best movie EVER MADE. PERIOD.

Griffith

CnC said:
lol. oh, boo hoo, griff. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the fights. :serpico:

I didn't say I didn't enjoy them, I couldn't see them, they could have been awesome for all I know. =)

Anyway, that was forgivable in Batman Begins by Nolan (previous work including action shots forgetfulness in motion), but considering this was Transformers, and directed by Michael Bay, who'd I'd at least expect to be able to direct an ACTION scene, it wasn't. Really, I can't say anything bad about the effects, they looked great, except that they're wasted by the fact that when the robots move, the camera starts having an epileptic seizure.

Oh, and it's about an hour too long.

Walter said:
Shawshank Redemption, best movie EVER MADE. PERIOD.

Yeah, so? Are you saying it's intentional!? =)

CnC

Ad Oculos
Griffith No More! said:
I didn't say I didn't enjoy them, I couldn't see them, they could have been awesome for all I know. =)

Sounds like anyone who wants to enjoy Transformers should just go and sit in their seat with their eyes closed and just totally make up the visuals in their head, then. :D

Griffith

Actually, yeah, when I imagine the bots, from the scenes where I could actually see them, fighting, it's a really cool mental image. =)

CnC said:
The source material being aimed at children is not really an excuse for bad storytelling.

Bad storytelling? The fact that it was kept it plain and simple was simply good enough. Why made a movie like Matrix (sequels) where some have to watch a few times to even understand what was going on?

The storyline I must say was far much better than even the CGI effect. This movie was purely for entertainment, yet can be exciting as well despite the not so good view on the battle scene (It was hard to even distinguish who is who)

Anyway this movie was expected to be a "condemned" movie when everyone heard it was Michael Bay who directed it. But it turn out wasnt that bad afterall... So please at least, give a few credits.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:
Why made a movie like Matrix (sequels) where some have to watch a few times to even understand what was going on?

I didn't need to watch any of the Matrix movies more than once to undestand what was going on... :schierke:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Smith said:
Bad storytelling? The fact that it was kept it plain and simple was simply good enough. Why made a movie like Matrix (sequels) where some have to watch a few times to even understand what was going on?

Yea I also didn't have to watch the matrix movies to get whats going on. I suppose if you consider that complex than transformers would be more to your level.

Can I just point this out to everyone. Its just a movie! Its not the end of the world as to weather it was loyal to the actual story or not, I know that people have there own opinions on whats best but quite too many people hate this movie and some love it. I love it, I am not asking any of you to love the movie either but at least give this movie a chance.

Griffith

I don't hate it, I just didn't enjoy it much either. My enjoyment of the film was quite high to start, but decreased as it went on... and on... and on, without justification for the time spent, that by the end I couldn't wait for it to be over. I honestly think it would have been much better if they'd cut out about an hour, because this was a really sloppy movie really; most of the "plot development" they spent so much time on early in the movie ended up being totally meaningless by the end, could have just skipped it. And the "character development", that was even worse because they were just stock characters. I'm just not someone who needed 3 hours of Shia Lebeauf acting nervous and yelling like an idiot (do you think they could have made that "looking for the glasses" scene any longer? It actually seemed to repeat itself and the joke more than a couple of times). Or how about Anthony Anderson and the stupid blonde chick? If they'd been totally removed from the film, would it have made a difference at all (and they're just two examples of many), I forgot they were even in it until just now. =)

And yeah, I couldn't even enjoy the action because it was all shaky cammed up. Anyway, I know this probably won't mean much since a lot of people decided they were going to love this movie long before they saw it, and it probably delivered on what they wanted (it's not like it was cheap or anything =).

CnC

Ad Oculos
Griffith No More! said:
Or how about Anthony Anderson and the stupid blonde chick? If they'd been totally removed from the film, would it have made a difference at all (and they're just two examples of many), I forgot they were even in it until just now. =)

This goes back to the poor storytelling thing I alluded to, but I think EVERY movie needs to remove the "I may look like a supermodel, but I'm actually the best (insert scientific field here) in the world" AND the "hacker" from any story in the future.

Well GNM, Anthony Anderson & Rachael Taylor were the kinda reviled characters to be introduced in this movie and they did piss me off in one or two scenes of the movie and they should have been removed. Now that you bring up character development, I actually kinda liked how Ironhide was portrayed in this movie. Even though he's always been the muscle of the Generation 1 cartoon and Prime's oldest friend, he had a darker view on things and kinda was more serious than before, I like his new personality but I would like him to eventually change at some point.

That whole "Sam searching for the Glasses scene" was kinda hilarious to watch even though he was yelling like an idiot half the time, especially the "Sam's Happy Time" :carcus:

Anyway though, I know that quite alot of you were disappointed with this movie and were expecting better and trust me, there will be better, theres the sequal and it will mainly focus on just the TF's.

Griffith

I think we can all agree on one thing, the best part was everything with robots, and the worst part was everything without robots. :guts:

Griffith No More! said:
I think we can all agree on one thing, the best part was everything with robots, and the worst part was everything without robots. :guts:

This whole movie is also just an BIG advertisement on USAF. The whole battle situation changed once the F22 came, 3 missiles and Metagron is sprawling on the floor

Like that Anthony guy who told the US def secretary: "We cannot do it without the US Air Force"

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Smith said:
This whole movie is also just an BIG advertisement on USAF. The whole battle situation changed once the F22 came, 3 missiles and Metagron is sprawling on the floor
I can't clearly bring the scene to mind, but at least the way you describe it, I'd chock that up to physics. I don't care how indestructible they are, throw enough force at them and they'll at least fall over.

And of course, those were starscream's missiles and therefore better. :schierke:

Top Bottom