Volume 42 release

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
Really don't understand what Puck is doing on this cover and why its looking like he's somewhat interacting with Guts. They had no interaction whatsoever in this volume and Puck barely did anything remotely relevant other than saying "Something is coming".

There was a reason Puck wasn't on any covers since 2003...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Really don't understand what Puck is doing on this cover and why its looking like he's somewhat interacting with Guts. They had no interaction whatsoever in this volume and Puck barely did anything remotely relevant other than saying "Something is coming".

There was a reason Puck wasn't on any covers since 2003...

Puck being depicted is by far the least problematic aspect of this cover to me. Covers aren't a strict reflection of a character's importance to the story, they're a marketing instrument with relatively tight constraints, which is why it's often just Guts. Puck is a key character in Berserk, but that's not informed by his presence or absence on volume covers.

In this case, the choice to go with a variety of characters was probably deemed safe and most likely to lead to a purchase. Griffith carrying Casca is the big hook, with Guts being front and center because he's the most recognizable. Puck and the Beast of Darkness are merely filling up the empty space.

Here are the two posters of Volume 42. Taken from the Amazon Preview.
5yosto.jpg

Goat

Foolish king
Maybe a dumb question, but do we have any 'official' information regarding the Tree's color (prior to this artwork, of course)?

I meant on the poster:

1695993157235.png

but looking closer, it is there, it just blends in with the rest of the highlighted hair.

I also find it really funny they chose to highlight Guts being absolutely pathetic for a poster lmao.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe a dumb question, but do we have any 'official' information regarding the Tree's color (prior to this artwork, of course)?

Not that I can think of. I've always pictured it as whitish-golden myself. In truth, any color could do, but pink is the least likely one they could have chosen, if only because there's already a giant pink tree in the series (Danan's cherry blossom tree). Puzzling choice, same as for Griffith's hair. I guess Sugimoto really does just like pink.

Tbh

I never liked how they make Guts just laying around since Casca was kidnapped. I also doubt Miura would make Guts sounds so pathatic like this even in his LOWEST.

We have seen Guts at his worst after the eclipce and he was down but never really acted this way, Guts' character is known to struggle but keep on going no matter what it takes he pushes himself above the limits.

Even in the Conviction arc when she was taken away by Mozgus he was full of rage instead of sounding so sad.

I get it that it's Griffith who took her away, but still i dont think Miura would make him act this way, i think he would be more of raging than being sad and given up like this.

Again I wish this continuation became officially "a non canon" or a "what if".

Last edited:
After going thru it now, it feels to me like they switch from POV's too fast, just like it was mentioned before, from 1 chapter to the next. It feels too fast, doesnt feel as smooth as Miura's. In this format(volume) the detail definitely sticks, theres a lot of it packed into the panels, feels berserk-ish because its unlike other manga but does it mirror Miura's artstyle perfectly? No, don't think so, I think it fails many times. The cover looks better in person and on closer inspection but that is probably because unlike online scans it is actually HD and u can see everything crystal clear. I like the addition of ads at the end for Duranki, Giganto Maxia and other works but I dont like the tease for vol 43 because it comes off as shady(shady ass "make sure to buy the next release cuz something might go down!")

IMG_20231211_113613.jpg
I'm still optimistic about this volume because even tho its riddled with issues, we can sorta trust/hope that its still sort of canon if u can take the good and throw the bad.

This is the only difference between the magazine and the volume, in episode 372.

Attachments

• 20231213_000058.jpg
    20231213_000058.jpg
    843 KB · Views: 53
This is the only difference between the magazine and the volume, in episode 372.
You actually made me go back and re-check my volume just to make sure I didn't miss anything, and for a while I thought I was wasting my time. But right before I gave up, I found that they added BARRELS (!!!) and boxes in the background of one panel from Episode 373.

But yeah besides that and the panel you noted, nothing really.

Comp2.gif

Top Bottom