Wallpapers by Shadowkin

Here's some wallpapers made by me

I took the scan of Puck where he suggests that they go to his home land (volume 22). I colored it and replaced a couple of things, like the shadow, eyes and lines. A little basic, but hey, I'm only a noob at wall making and still learning

I love the scan in the bg and just had to make a wall of it

As you may notice, this is my first post here in skullknight.net and happy to have found it. Berserk is my favorite manga and wanted to color a scan of skullknight, but had no idea what his colors were, so I searched google and found this place, lucky me ;D

Hi Shadowkin and welcome!
I like these, especially the one with Puck. Two questions though, could you please post a higher resolution version; and where's that Skullknight that brought you here in the first place? :serpico:

vlad said:
Hi Shadowkin and welcome!
I like these, especially the one with Puck. Two questions though, could you please post a higher resolution version; and where's that Skullknight that brought you here in the first place? :serpico:

For some crappy reason the berserker armor wall just won't upload at 1600x1200 res at both imageshack and photobucket, I don't know why, so I reduced the resolution and it got excepted

I'm still busy with the skullknight one, cause it's for a wall I'm making of him on his horse and want to make a landscape filled with skulls, but finding usable scans of skulls is a little slow on my part

CnC

Ad Oculos
very cool wallpapers shadoiwkin!
I also really like the Puck one. Very good toon shading on that one.

Welcome to SK.net

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
I like both, they are well made. If they fit with my icons, I'd use one. I have a cluttered desktop so most images make it really hard to see :puck:

sarahofborg

goodbye assholes
Absolutely gorgeous. I'm tempted to take your Puck coloring and make his eyes a bit fancier myself, but only with your permission, and I'm not promising it won't suck :)

Meh whom I kiddin, I couldn't wait. Sorry for stealing your thunder and messing around with it :)

Eyes

I'm just not confident enough to do a full-out coloring of my own yet.

sarahofborg said:
Absolutely gorgeous. I'm tempted to take your Puck coloring and make his eyes a bit fancier myself, but only with your permission, and I'm not promising it won't suck :)

Meh whom I kiddin, I couldn't wait. Sorry for stealing your thunder and messing around with it :)

Eyes

I'm just not confident enough to do a full-out coloring of my own yet.
Holy shit, that looks so much better... why didn't I think of it before :D. But next time feel more confident to do a full-out coloring of your own and sorry for the late reply

Here's three more walls I made, still busy with two other

A super simplistic wall this :serpico:. I wanted to make a simple wall of two golems sitting on the right side of the screen, so I went through the manga and came upon the perfect pic (volume 27)... but the golems were small and very low quality. So I traced, colored and textured them and put a one color bg in

Edit: Made some changes like a more interesting bg with two different colors, cause the green one was the original change, but found out that grey was good too so I made two :serpico:

This one I took special care in making. This is one of my first real color ins, I did play around and experimented on coloring before, but this will be my second full color in. Made a nice bg (may be a little too bright for some) and at first wanted the lower half of Casca to be put behind the cloud thing, but decided against it, hope you like it :guts:

Edit: Thanks to CnC's advice I made better changes and also decided provide two bg colors for you too choose. The dark-blue one brings Casca more out and the bright-green one... well, looks good too :guts:

I also put the Berserker Armour one in a higher resolution

CnC

Ad Oculos
Hey Shadowkin. Those are some nice wallpapers. I like the idea of the golem one but the picture strikes me as being too dark.

Casca is also nice. However the lineart of her face has been overpowered by your colors and her hair is still black and white (seems kind of wierd to me).

Good stuff, tho. Keep on postin'

sarahofborg

goodbye assholes
Those are all great but I must agree with CnC. I like bright colors but it drowns her out and she almost looks like she hasn't been colored at all.
I'd so make it my current wallpaper but then people would think I'm a lesbian :schierke:

And I'm glad you like my little improvement. I've been trying my hand at coloring but it's all a disaster so far. It's annoying because I've studied color theory for years, but I've never actually colored in a drawing myself (just designs, as in graphic design, which is what I do.)
So I know if you have a picture with a lot of red and yellow, a green background is best, but what color to color someone's hair is something different.

Actually, now that I look closer, that's a really good shading job you did on her! I admit the background mismatches so much it completely distracts me from how good the picture is. I do like the background, but it really doesn't go at all.

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
I like the last one of Caska. I like how you colored her face as well. What I would recommend about her hair is to add some soft shading to it. You left the original shading which is very hard as opposed to the soft manner which the rest of it is shaded in. I think a little shine on the medallion on her cape and some on her sword would look good too. I like how you did most of the cloth and skin though.

Damn, some hard crits flying around :eek:... Keep em coming ;D

CnC said:
Casca is also nice. However the lineart of her face has been overpowered by your colors and her hair is still black and white (seems kind of wierd to me).
Should I bring the saturation down a bit for her face?. And shouldn't the hair stay black, I mean black is her hair color and white is the light shines, softening some of it I can do like Serpico suggested, but I'm still new at this, so what do you suggest you I do on the hair?

sarahofborg said:
Those are all great but I must agree with CnC. I like bright colors but it drowns her out and she almost looks like she hasn't been colored at all.
I'd so make it my current wallpaper but then people would think I'm a lesbian :schierke:
If you want to make it your current wall theres no argument from this side :p

sarahofborg said:
And I'm glad you like my little improvement. I've been trying my hand at coloring but it's all a disaster so far. It's annoying because I've studied color theory for years, but I've never actually colored in a drawing myself (just designs, as in graphic design, which is what I do.)
So I know if you have a picture with a lot of red and yellow, a green background is best, but what color to color someone's hair is something different.
Your just too worried of how it looks or what other people might think. Just color one in as best as you can and post it so that we can give you some honest critique and tell you on what you can improve on :serpico:

sarahofborg said:
Actually, now that I look closer, that's a really good shading job you did on her! I admit the background mismatches so much it completely distracts me from how good the picture is. I do like the background, but it really doesn't go at all.
Okay, I agree the bg should be darker, but what color do you suggest

CnC

Ad Oculos
Shadowkin said:
Should I bring the saturation down a bit for her face?. And shouldn't the hair stay black, I mean black is her hair color and white is the light shines, softening some of it I can do like Serpico suggested, but I'm still new at this, so what do you suggest you I do on the hair?

I think my original point was to suggest not to paint over the lineart as much.
Heres the before and after gif:

casca_shadowkin.gif

Usually the technique of changing the lineart's color (called "trapping", in the 'biz) is done selectively to either draw attention to a subject (by either popping out of the background or moving it back in perspective) or add some sort of special effect (like the glare of light reflected off the armor or sword).
However you used it for basic shading which (imo) covers up the original lineart and loses a great amount of detail that was put in the original drawing. Thats a big no-no in coloring.
Part of the problem lies in that Miura originally composed this image for display in black and white, so most of the lighting decisions are done with that medium in mind and thus whoever colors it is given fewer (if any) liberties to use when coloring.

As for the hair: you've got it brighter than the original, and the same intensity throughout. Some sort of shading (or color variance) has to happen to sell some kind of light source being present. As you've got it right now it stands out.

But keep at it. I'm diggin' your contributions thus far.

@ CnC: You have no idea how long I stared at that GIF. I started to look like your av @_@..... Anyway, it helped me alot, thanks. So I made the changes and I must say it looks alot better than before. What I did was horrible. So check em out and I also made changes to the golem walls ;D

Busy with three better walls than the previous ones, but takes longer to make :)

CnC

Ad Oculos
The improvements made on the Casca on the blue background pic are 100% better, imo. The background doesn't compete (the blue complements the skin tone/cape alot better than the green) and a lot of the detail (specifically on her face) is restored. Great job.

I like the changes done to the golem wallpaper, too. The golems pop out of the background a lot better.

Shadowkin said:
@ CnC: You have no idea how long I stared at that GIF. I started to look like your av @_@.....

ubik_angry.gif

KEEP POSTING!!!​

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
Keep up the good work Shadowkin, you made some real improvements to your original efforts and they look damn spiffy!

Top Bottom