Favorite Vagabond Moments (use spoilers tags)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
An early and a recent one.

1. Volume 1, "From this day on... I'm a Vagabond." =)

2. Volume 22
Everything leading up to Musashi's battle with Seijuro, his victory, and his thoughts/growth afterward. I've probably re-read volumes 21 and 22 more than any other part of the series.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Great idea for a thread. I have many. The first few that come to mind are:

3. Volume 7 :
When Inshun sees how far Musashi has progressed, and begins to be intimidated by his presence. "So big!"
4. Volume 11:
"Invincible... It's merely a word." -Yagyu Sekishusai
5. Volume 16: Itto's scoring system
6. Volume 18: IttoFUK

Griffith

Nice selection, it reminded me of another one of my favs

Volume 7:
In'ei's story about he, Yagyu and their master Kami. I love those flashbacks and what they add to the duel between Musashi and Inshun, and even Yagyu's encounter with Toji, explaining, displaying, and encompassing the now famous mantra of "No sword."

Another great one, and I won't do this with spoilers since the details aren't important is Musashi's battle in volume 10. This sequence, and in particular episode 95 absolutely, transcend the medium in terms of showing action. Not that what it's showing is so mind blowing, but how "live" it feels.

Have I mentioned people should really be reading this series? =)

snake1mi

Blood is just red sweat.
First of all, nice thread!

Dont have the books since Im at moms place, but therefore its easier to not spoil anything.
Favorite moments (for now):

Musashi discussing the "way of the sword" with people at a certain dojo..

Takezo holding his broken bokken, still willing to continue the fight with them Seijuro guys at the dojo, not just that part, but this is the first image I get in my mind whenever I think about that episode.

More to come..

Griffith

Rhombaad reminded of this, one of my absolute favorite moments. =)

Rhombaad said:
As for vol. 9, I loved how Musashi was able to tell the flower was cut by an extraordinary swordsman just from looking at it and comparing it to his own. Him telling Denshichiro off and saying his flower was "limp and lifeless" put a big grin on my face. Denshichiro is not a man who is preoccupied with flowers, apparently.
:guts:

limp.jpg

My favourite moment was when everyone gathers to watch the duel in Kyoto when Musashi is going to fight with Denshichiro, and when I mean everyone I mean of course Ostu, Takuan and well you know who I am talking about :slan: It was a great moment but sadly Musashi didn't speak with Otsu, why won't those to just express how they feel for one another already :(

Griffith

Volume 14:
When Takuan encounters the very young Kojiro and his sword, Kojiro shows off for Takuan and he sees how much the sword invigorates the boy, but also teaches him a frightening lesson by cutting him with it, "But... it can also be the death of you!"

Volume 16:
Follow up to that when Ito reminds the fearless Kojiro of this by outright stabbing him in the leg. =)

slan69 said:
My favourite moment was when everyone gathers to watch the duel in Kyoto when Musashi is going to fight with Denshichiro, and when I mean everyone I mean of course Ostu, Takuan and well you know who I am talking about :slan: It was a great moment but sadly Musashi didn't speak with Otsu, why won't those to just express how they feel for one another already :(

That's a great one, a culmination of 22 volume joueney to what was even a foregone conclusion to the participants at that point. To me, that was even more impressive than
Musashi's victory over Seijuro.

My favourite moment is probably
when Musashi spends time in the mountains before the battle with Inshun.
That and his fight with
Baiken

Griffith

Minotaur said:
Volume 5- early6:
The: first battle against Inshun was amazing! How humiliating that must have been for our friend!

Volume 5/6: Yeah, that part is amazing
so man times when it seems like Musashi is going to miraculously pull out the fight at the last second.

Top Bottom